Topics

high horse

• MidianGTX - November 26, 2011 3:59 p.m.

Is it really insane though? It's merely an exaggerated version of the same behaviour we display in many aspects of social life. It's quite natural to want to justify and enjoy the decisions we make, whether it's a games console, a house or a new baby, and it's natural to want others to share your opinion on them. If "fanboys" are making themselves feel better, at least they're not soaked in suicidal depression. It's somewhat antisocial, sure, but aren't we constantly telling ourselves the opinons of anonymous people on the internet don't really matter?
  • IChooseUAntistaMON - November 26, 2011 1:09 p.m.

Yet instead of acknowledging, that we blame each other. Should Be Yet instead of acknowledging that, we blame each other
  • Rhymenocerous - November 26, 2011 10:12 a.m.

Well said Dave. There sure are some strange folk in so-called gaming communities.
  • revrock - November 26, 2011 10:09 a.m.

The Monster Hunter Tri community always treated people right. I remember the first time I blew it for our team and expected to hear criticism but everyone was patient and forgiving.
  • Sketchydevil - November 26, 2011 5:52 a.m.

This article is exactly why I love this website. They understand gaming and I know the other sites aren;t technically "bought out" but the reviews and articles on this site seem more genuine and from actual people that sit and play games for fun. Keep up the awesome work guys! :)
  • inkyspot - November 26, 2011 5:15 a.m.

At one point I thought fanboys was a marketing scheme by developers to insight arguments on their competors. To be a fanboy of anything aside from your family seems very weak minded to me. It's not like Microsoft or Sony or whoever is giving you free games or a free system, you actually pay for kiss their asses. People who are fanboys/girls, are not leaders, but followers, they need to have something to worship in order to feel like they belong. I love games, but I am no fanboy of anything, but my family. I doubt anyone over the age of 25 is a fanboy.... it just has to be kids, right?
  • avantguardian - November 26, 2011 5:47 a.m.

you'd think/hope so, huh? too bad age doesn't equal maturity.
  • BladedFalcon - November 26, 2011 7:51 a.m.

Yeah... look at humanity's entire history, does it look that there have always been more leaders than mobs, masses and followers? It's a sad reality, but a very high percentage of people fall into the mob category, often driven and led along by petty ideologies rather and form a balanced, rational opinion to guide themselves with.
  • inkyspot - November 26, 2011 3:52 p.m.

People seeking guidance and leadership, the pack mentality, somewhere to fit in, to feel some sense of self importance, like their support and loyalty brings some kind of benefit. You are right, and unfortunately age does not equal maturity. Insighting Brand loyalty, I learned that in a business class some time ago.
  • superfatguy93 - November 26, 2011 4:30 p.m.

But its so much fun to be a fanboy. I do agree we should be a little nicer to each other though.
  • ToZanarkandy - November 26, 2011 4:36 a.m.

Completely true, couldn't have put it any better myself. Also, as a sidenote, lovin' the Manic Street Preachers reference.
  • ChrisAntistaCanSmellMyPizza - November 26, 2011 3:03 a.m.

These High Horse articles are easily my favourite current feature of GamesRadar.
  • chriszewski - November 26, 2011 3:23 p.m.

Agreed
  • Y2Ken - November 26, 2011 1:54 a.m.

I will fight alongside you Dave, until our community can just get along. I enjoy playing games on all three consoles, and my (pretty low-end) PC. I prefer MW3, but I like BF3 and I understand why people love it, and I'm happy for them. I don't want anything to do with WoW, but I'm glad the community can have a great time playing a game they love with others who share that interest. I doubt it will ever go away completely, but we will try our hardest to make those who discriminate against someone for the games they play, or the platform they choose, know that they are not welcome here with that attitude. As a side note, I bought Skyrim on PS3 (no way my PC would run it) and I'm starting to get lag issues. It's a pain and I hope it's sorted really soon (gone back to Batman and started Resi 5 co-op with a friend in the meantime). I still think it sucks that 360 players have to choose between loading times and textures, and I hope their problems are sorted just as soon.
  • ObliqueZombie - November 25, 2011 11:16 p.m.

I really hope your article is as wide spread as I dream it to be. This message could NOT be more relevant to this day and age. (For gamers, of course) The days of fighting courts are at an end, and the armies of ignorant parents are waning, but the last enemy to fight would be each other--at least, to knock some Goddamned sense into our brains. I've been angry at Elitists ever since the first PC enthusiast made a pompous, unfounded comment regarded the "declining state" of the Xbox. Similarly, I've been enraged with every fanboy ratting on all the console's/developer's failures as not a fault of the company, but a fault of the supporter. Or, in most cases, as a fault of the company that was "destined to happen" and certainly "always going to happen," since said company isn't Microsoft or Sony, whichever you support. It makes us gamers look ignorant and spoiled everyday, and this kind of mentality needs to be either shunned from the community or banned from the forums. I take up arms with you, Mr. Houghton, and I'll fight this as long as I have to.
  • roryking1981 - November 26, 2011 9:38 p.m.

Here here!
  • Fox_Mulder - November 25, 2011 10:23 p.m.

"All that is needed for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." David is one of the good men doing something. Bravo!
  • avantguardian - November 25, 2011 7:35 p.m.

thanks for this, david. it seems you've managed to keep most of the trolls under their bridges for this one. this smells of an even greater problem, however. we are becoming detached from our responsibilites as human beings. cell phones, facebook, forums, xbox live/psn: all detached, with the illusion of being closer than you've ever been before. i mean, folks have forgotten how to plan things without their phones. they're like: "MEET somewhere? how!??!" i don't remember this being a problem 20 years ago. wake up people.
  • Fiirestorm21 - November 25, 2011 6:34 p.m.

Thanks a lot for writing this. Very true. Now we have to all make sure we set an example and don't start inadvertently doing this ourselves when we get passionate about something. The spark from a tongue can start a fire. Or something like that.
  • Misterscaryface - November 25, 2011 5:32 p.m.

If you tolerate this, then your framerates will be next. This article just got an A+ from me for the Manic Street Preachers reference, brilliant.