Topics

mmorpg

• KnowYourPokemon - January 28, 2012 7:36 a.m.

Sorry but the only ones you have to blame when it comes to the evolution in MMO's is the players themselves, why should a company that is out to make money take a risk in changing the formula when we've shown that we're willing to pay for it month after month. It's the same reason Call of Duty hasn't changed in any amazing way, people throw their money at it so companies give them more of what they've SHOWN they want, not what they SAY they want.
  • hellodesdemona - January 28, 2012 5:48 a.m.

As other have pointed out, this seems to be a community problem rather than developer. Developers seem to be doing their damndest to shake things up a bit...and then no one bites. So, of course they will go back to a tired formula. It is interesting that the attitude is that World of Warcraft is the monster than needs slain. What will happen when that occurs? I suppose we'll have to wait and see...
  • psycho ninja 4 - January 28, 2012 1:58 a.m.

I remember on talkradar you were discussing SWTOR and you complained that they didn't use enough fetures from other MMOs.You said thats how they survive.
  • nai1210 - January 28, 2012 1:47 a.m.

First thing mmo's need to do is actually have a proper combat system,star wars old republic look's amazing in it's cut scene's actually wacthing people play it spamming one button doing the same move over and over with the occasional healing move thrown in is absolutley tedious not to mention boring as hell don't care how good the story is meant to be,i know i would never be able to put up with that soul destroyingly boring gameplay,i have never been a huge fan of turn based rpg titles but even the combat in the likes of final fantasy are good to play/watch and the newer final fantasy's that play out in real time for me are more fun.MMO's battles should look and feel epic but they don't they just play out very very boringly.
  • lilbuddha - January 28, 2012 8:13 a.m.

I play one of the "easiest" classes in SWTOR (Sith Inquisitor Sorc) and make use of all but 3 of my abilities regularly. Clearly -watching- someone play a game is grounds to make a such a great assumption. MMO battles can be incredibly epic, you're just not looking [or trying] to find how/where it is epic.
  • reach110 - January 28, 2012 12:48 p.m.

All your arguments seem to be that no one has logged as many hours in MMOs as you have or are even playing the game properly. You're defining the entire user experience of these games by your own rules, your own way of playing the game. A game needs to be accessible and enjoyable to a wide audience, not just the players as devoted as you. The whole argument in this article, I feel, is that refreshing the "tried-and-true" formula of MMOs isn't enough. I get excited when I hear the concepts of games like APB, only to be horribly disappointed when they crash and burn. This is because I'd really love to have a game that is Massively Multiplayer, in a world as vast as Azeroth or others, but with a different set of rules. Why do we think that if a game has a huge world that accommodates a large number of players that gameplay has to be confined to "kill ten enemies, bring me this scroll?" We're not bashing on your games, we're saying that as they are built right now, they're not our thing and we're interested in a change of pace.
  • lilbuddha - January 28, 2012 1:50 p.m.

Well my argument to them above guy was that he based his opinions off looking at someone else play the game. By his logic I'd watch someone playing soccer and claim that it's a pointless game of people running back and forth with no real attempt at making a goal. It simply isn't true. If you're going to play something, then actually take the time to make a judgement based on the whole thing, not just the minimal effort that you decide to invest. You want simple, instant satisfaction ? MMO's aren't for you. You have to actually learn a little bit to be effective in them (and to have the most "fun"). How many people do you think jumped on the WoW bandwagon simply because it was popular, with no real interest in that gameplay style at all ? I can name a dozen celebrities that have. (Whether paid to or not is up to you to decide). People need to stop looking for something more out an MMO and just play the game that already exist that are exactly what they want. And get off my lawn.
  • tim-zielhuis - January 27, 2012 11:24 p.m.

you didn't mention EVE Online... i haven't played it for a while but it is certainly a unique mmo my biggest problem with mmo's are the quests, in mmo world... its quantity over quality. in swtor, all quests have nice voiceovers... that doesnt make them any more interesting, its still piss... it might come in a glass, but when you taste it? you know... its still piss
  • Genericide - January 27, 2012 10:30 p.m.

I've played and enjoyed MMOs myself, but I do agree that new directions to the genre are certainly welcome. Most people complain about the repetitiveness of MMOs, but the problem is that this is a trade-off developers take in exchange for creating a humongous persistent world. There is only so much time and money one can use to design a game, and it's difficult to keep quality when the quantity is hundreds or even thousands of hours. The biggest MMOs in the market have polished the existing formula to a mirror shine but it is true that the formula needs shaking up. However, this is far, faaaar easier said than done. Even the most deep and interesting and deep of non-MMOs today would get dull if repeated for hundreds of hours, and thus keeping quality over such a length is something I believe in feasible with raw manpower. It isn't impossible, however, and with clever use of procedural tools (that is, systems that help develop content in automated fashion, which is not necessarily the same as random generation) could accomplish such a goal. Basically what I'm trying to say is yes it would be great if such an MMO was made and it should be, but it's very difficult to do. So be patient, and although we should never stop expecting better of the genre don't do what thoughtless people do and accuse existing MMO developers of laziness. Seems they have a tough job to do.
  • MrSuitMan - January 27, 2012 9:39 p.m.

Monster Hunter. That's the best MMO that's not an MMO.
  • darkvare - January 27, 2012 8:57 p.m.

i like mmos expansive worlds but i really hate having to depend on people i would love to just go around doing the quests all by myself but that would kill the whole multiplayer aspect
  • laurenhiya21 - January 27, 2012 8:40 p.m.

Most of this sounds like you saying what isn't good about WoW rather than MMOs in general... but that might just be me since I only really know about Mabinogi (the only MMO I can stand playing because it has no classes or level cap) and a little about WoW (since my bf plays it) I do agree with the fact that MMO's need to change though
  • D0CCON - January 27, 2012 6:44 p.m.

You just explained why the MMO is my least favorite of all genres. Some may balk at the idea for paying for XBL. I balk at people who are willing to pay 2-3 times as much for one of these boring time sinks.
  • Caenlen25 - January 27, 2012 6:31 p.m.

I used to love MMO's. Been burnt out for a few years now, tried Rift, tried TOR... I just can't get hooked anymore. Going to enjoy other genres then give Guild Wars 2 a try, even though I didn't like the first one. Glad to see this article and know I am not alone. :D
  • Wade D McGinnis - January 27, 2012 6:31 p.m.

Arg there is a "does not point out" after author....derp.
  • Wade D McGinnis - January 27, 2012 6:29 p.m.

While the points in the article are valid, but the author points that every time a game dev tries to evolve the genre, they don't have the subs or fan support to keep the game running. This is not just a lack of evolution by the dev but a flaw in the community as a whole. Side note by MMO's are never ending. The choice of structure for content at the end is similar with the genre but the content itself is evolving. The mechanics of the genre are evolving. Take a look back at what you had to do in a raid during classic WoW and today, things have progressively gone forward just at a slower pace. Even when GW2 comes out, you still are on the tread mill, you won't get away from it. Instead of raiding your going to be in a state of constant questing (dynamic events).
  • RedHarlow - January 27, 2012 6:25 p.m.

If it sells, they won't change it.
  • BladedFalcon - January 27, 2012 6:07 p.m.

Hmm... aside from a couple dozen hours in Ragnarok Online, (Which I got drawn in by the nicely made sprites, but turned off by the boringly annoying and repetitive game-play.) I have never really played MMOs... And honestly, reading this, I'm glad to know I haven't missed much. My cynism and apathy for the genre aside though. This was a pretty well written article, and does make some good points regarding the state of a certain genre. And really, it doesn't necessarily limit itself to MMOs. More and more it feels like a once a decade, a standout games comes out that sells millions, and then everyone else flocks in to make copies of that game with different setting and such. (Such is the case of modern FPS, for example.)
  • garnsr - January 27, 2012 6:03 p.m.

I think a good MMO would be something like Playstation Home, with a number of different genres available in one game. Having a community that you can do lots of different things with, instead of just whacking rats, is really what we want, isn't it? A world that lets us do lots of different things with other people.
  • Gorntrex - January 27, 2012 5:57 p.m.

Don't know if PSO2 counts as a MMO really but action based online multiplayer stuff with a bunch of people could be a fresh taste.