Topics

Old-school

• db1331 - September 1, 2010 3:58 p.m.

You really should be ashamed Matt. Think of how GREEN the "pitch" would look when you watch your favorite "football" team. You could even watch every fake dive in stunning clarity.
  • BadCompanyBrik - September 1, 2010 3:57 p.m.

@db1331 You speak about that as if everyone has the resources to buy an HDTV without even making a trip to the bank, but choose not to because they enjoy viewing media in SD. As for the next step beyond HD, does there need to be one? Everyone is rushing to look better than each other now, but why does it matter when everything's practically photorealistic now anyway? Looks don't make a game. People still enjoy age old games, despite the fact that they look terrible. Why? Because they have good gameplay. If all the time and effort that's currently spent on making something look shiny were spent on making games play better, gameplay would be lightyears ahead of what it currently is. But games might still look like, say, Halo 3, as an example of a game that doesn't look good (by today's standards), but also doesn't look bad, and is immensely popular.
  • db1331 - September 1, 2010 3:57 p.m.

@pimlicosound You can get a 720p set for $200 or less if you find a sale. You can then put that on a credit card and probably pay like $10 a month on it. If people can't afford that, they need to make some serious adjustments in their lives.
  • Matt Cundy - September 1, 2010 3:56 p.m.

I feel ashamed to own an SDTV. Sorry that I'm holding up technology by by being behind the times. Don't hate me.
  • 510BrotherPanda - September 1, 2010 3:56 p.m.

@Wookiegonewild Some people get their console for free. It's called "birthdays" or "Christmas". And they don't bother returning it just because their TV is SD, because they want it and/or they appreciate those that got it for them. Being a person without an HD console but with an HDTV, this isn't too relevant to me. But if Matt is happy, I'm glad for him.
  • Wookiegonewild - September 1, 2010 3:45 p.m.

Get with the times people. You can get a cheap HDTV anywhere. And for those claim they can't afford it, how did you afford the console that is meant to be played in HD in the first place? This is stupid.
  • pimlicosound - September 1, 2010 3:43 p.m.

@db1331: "There is absolutely no excuse to not own an HD set by now." A decent HDTV still costs at least £300, and for a long time the entry price has been much higher. Not everyone has the necessary disposable income. If you're providing for a family, and taking care of a mortgage, an HDTV is a luxury you can easily do without.
  • db1331 - September 1, 2010 3:36 p.m.

I can see why some would call this progress, but in reality it's just the opposite. Games should be pushing technology forward, not worrying about being compatible with legacy components. I don't know what the next big step is after HD games. I refuse to believe it's gimmicky, glasses-required 3D (Kill Zone 3). I do know that we would get there a lot faster if everyone got with the times. There is absolutely no excuse to not own an HD set by now. Why even get an HD console if you are going to hook it up to an SDTV? In a few years when everyone is finally forced to HDTV, are we going to see people looking to the government for free boxes that will allow them to still get SDTV signals, like we did with the cable rollover?
  • TomMishkin - September 1, 2010 3:35 p.m.

So logical an idea to come up with, yet it took so many years for a developer to actually do it. Thank you, Shinji Mikami, you would have made my time with Dead Rising considerably better (I had a SDTV at the time), if only you had worked on that game. But seriously, it was about time. I'm having a hard time reading the txt from Red Dead Redemption on a HDTV these days, so I can't even think what playing it on a SDTV would be like.
  • Crypto140 - September 1, 2010 3:28 p.m.

I lost track of what HD is defined as. I got a 22 inch 480p "HD"TV to see Left 4 Dead better, but I have seen somewhere that 480p is classified as standered definition. Then what about the TVs with rabbit ears that are not flat, what are they classified as? At least some games are looking out for the little guy with the little walet.
  • Lionzest7 - September 1, 2010 3:24 p.m.

They've been needing this in games for a while, playing tales of vesperia on an SD tv made me squint a lot