Topics

Great Debate

We Recommend

• shawksta - August 16, 2012 9:48 p.m.

I just noticed, you SHOULD REALLY update your icon pic Justin, your shorter hair in the article caught me off guard l,always assuming you kept the long hair! Again, Fantastically hilarious Debate guys, I wonder what should be next, Crash vs Spyro? SNES vs PS2? Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney? Paper Mario vs Mario and Luigi? I don't know im just throwing random ideas!
  • talleyXIV - August 17, 2012 12:33 a.m.

SNES vs. PS2? What the hell kind of argument would that be? The SNES is easily the best console ever. Plus it is kind of a strange comparison. It is literally like a car from the 20s against a car from the 30s.
  • shawksta - August 16, 2012 9:36 p.m.

This was surreal XD LET'S TAKE THIS OUTSIDE, oh wait, Brawl already exists with Mario and Sonic constantly beating the fuck out of each other, I guess the right term is, JUST WAIT FOR ROUND 2 IN SMASH4
  • ThatGamerDude - August 16, 2012 6:58 p.m.

Does Mario have a gene that is found in almost all animals with limbs named after him? I Didn't think so... Hell, there's even a protein named after Pikachu, another Nintendo franchise! Sonic wins the internets and genetics. Pikachu wins a life-time supply of protein shakes based of everything about him. Mario wins a gift of gratitude towards Sonic in regards to the fact that without the Sonic Hedgehog gene, Mario would be a deformed blob with twelve fingers on each hand and legs wrapped in a mangle mess. Spiderman also gets a reward because he's Spiderman.
  • Cyberninja - August 16, 2012 8:24 p.m.

Both present really strong arguments but I say that Justin won, because he wasn't the first to use a low blow because he was running out of steam. But I love both equally.
  • ThatGamerDude - August 16, 2012 8:36 p.m.

Yeah I think Justin won too but Henry did bring up some interesting points that even a rabid Sonic fan such as myself can't argue about.
  • Z-man427 - August 16, 2012 6:56 p.m.

I really think that Mario and Sonic would be pretty okay with each other if they were real. I can see them having a barbecue, drinking beers, talking about how they both would do Peach. They might not spend Christmas together, but I would think they're buddies.
  • LBD_Nytetrayn - August 16, 2012 6:30 p.m.

....no option for "they're both great?" I mean, look at that last pic... they've got no beef with one-another, so why must their fans? Incidentally, I love how midway through, the "Super Mario Week" tag was dropped and Sonic was brought in for a bunch of these articles...
  • talleyXIV - August 16, 2012 4:58 p.m.

This debate is insanely unnecessary. Sonic has had maybe 3 good games in the last 10 years and that maybe a stretch. Mario is consistently good, no great. Sonic has a mediocre game every 3 terrible ones. Shit, go to Metacritic and you will see that Sonic eats the asshole of a dead cow while Mario is dining in a fine bistro.
  • taokaka - August 16, 2012 4:13 p.m.

Only one sentence to reference the awesome music that has graced the sonic series, that just won't do. But I'll forgive you Justin because of the hilarious joke about docter mario/eggman. My personal winner is sonic because I still love and play the mega drive sonic games to this day because they were that good and I thoroughly enjoyed generations, colours, rush and heroes. Also it's hard to explain but when I play mario's games they just don't connect with me, they have the gameplay and visuals nailed but here just isn't the factor that makes me love them and that is why I chose sonic over mario.
  • Meleedragon27 - August 16, 2012 3:41 p.m.

Those last two points were hilarious, but in all fairness Justin, Hotel Mario was a relatively obscure game for an obscure (and overpriced) console; most people have never actually played it and probably never will due to the rarity of both the game and the only console it was ever released on. Sonic '06, on the other hand... well, let's just say that game's a lot harder for Sega to hide, due the sheer number of copies available (didn't that game make Platinum Hits on the 360?) and the popularity of the consoles it came out on. As someone who has played and enjoyed both Sonic and Mario games (I preferred Sonic back in the 90's, but I became more fond of Mario when the 00's came), I think I'd have to give my point to Henry, if only because his points just seemed a lot easier to accept (especially the bit about how Mario got 3D platforming right on his first try). Sonic really does seem to be more about spectacle and beating levels quickly as opposed to Mario and the many goodies his games had. Plus, I totally agree with Henry about the characters; Sonic really does have awful luck with friends for the most part.
  • Sjoeki - August 16, 2012 3:55 p.m.

I was at a friend of mine when his parents came home with a CDI (that whole family is into gaming) and they bought the zelda and the mario game with it. It was one of the first times that I witnessed a whole room in shock as they watched beloved heroes getting destroyed in front of them. They returned all of it the same day.
  • Churchy99 - August 16, 2012 3:35 p.m.

I personally can't choose a favourite from the two based on character. I will admit Sonic's games have featured more mis-steps than Mario but I can't help but still be a Sonic fan where it counts. I don't take my fandom seriously and I sensed the humour here and that's what made it a great read! Me and my friends often refer to some sort of failure as being like Sonic's career or being "Sonic careered". In my mind, they're two great gaming icons who have both starred in great games in their past and that's what matters!
  • ShortFuse - August 16, 2012 3:34 p.m.

I voted Sonic even though I loved them both. Justin had better arguments there. Sonic is the cooler character... Saying that, Mario has way way way better games on the whole, but I thought I would vote on the debate as a whole. Surprised Henry made no reference to the awfulness that is Shadow the Hedgehog though...
  • n00b - August 16, 2012 3:20 p.m.

Hey! you got something against furries? Just for that im voting for justin
  • vent - August 16, 2012 2:59 p.m.

It's a tough call. I would base my judgement by comparing the best of each series, and that is of course Sonic CD vs. Super Mario World. They're both incredible games.
  • into the sound - August 16, 2012 2:57 p.m.

Who's got the best games? Mario. Who's games have I enjoyed the most? Mario's. Who's games have I played the longest? Mario's. So who's my pick for best character? Sonic. (And you guys are hilarious. Awesome article.)
  • Redeater - August 16, 2012 2:40 p.m.

How is this even a debate??? The top 5 of your "Best Sonic Games" were all released decades ago!!! Say what you will about Mario but his games are consistently good/perfect and he doesn't have to rely on the "glory days".
  • jackthemenace - August 16, 2012 2:35 p.m.

I hate what Sonic's become nowadays, but over the years, I've had much more fun with Sonic games than I have with Mario ones. And those last two points? Had me in tears. Brilliant stuff.
  • RonnyLive19881 - August 16, 2012 2:30 p.m.

I've always liked Mario more and my first console was a Sega Genesis... it was the most disappointing birthday ever(although I did act grateful), I ended up saving up for an SNES and it was pretty much the first expensive thing I ever bought on my own. Honestly I HATE Bioware but they did do one thing right, they made the 3rd best Sonic game Lmao(First being Sonic Colors and second being Sonic CD imo). Sonic just isn't as fun and really I don't think the first games aged to well. Mario will always reign supreme when it comes to best console mascots!
  • Manguy17 - August 16, 2012 2:28 p.m.

Gosh Justin, I never looked at mario as a serial killer before, this changes everything...