Topics

Great Debate

• ThatGamerDude - August 16, 2012 6:58 p.m.

Does Mario have a gene that is found in almost all animals with limbs named after him? I Didn't think so... Hell, there's even a protein named after Pikachu, another Nintendo franchise! Sonic wins the internets and genetics. Pikachu wins a life-time supply of protein shakes based of everything about him. Mario wins a gift of gratitude towards Sonic in regards to the fact that without the Sonic Hedgehog gene, Mario would be a deformed blob with twelve fingers on each hand and legs wrapped in a mangle mess. Spiderman also gets a reward because he's Spiderman.
  • Cyberninja - August 16, 2012 8:24 p.m.

Both present really strong arguments but I say that Justin won, because he wasn't the first to use a low blow because he was running out of steam. But I love both equally.
  • ThatGamerDude - August 16, 2012 8:36 p.m.

Yeah I think Justin won too but Henry did bring up some interesting points that even a rabid Sonic fan such as myself can't argue about.
  • shawksta - August 16, 2012 9:36 p.m.

This was surreal XD LET'S TAKE THIS OUTSIDE, oh wait, Brawl already exists with Mario and Sonic constantly beating the fuck out of each other, I guess the right term is, JUST WAIT FOR ROUND 2 IN SMASH4
  • shawksta - August 16, 2012 9:48 p.m.

I just noticed, you SHOULD REALLY update your icon pic Justin, your shorter hair in the article caught me off guard l,always assuming you kept the long hair! Again, Fantastically hilarious Debate guys, I wonder what should be next, Crash vs Spyro? SNES vs PS2? Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney? Paper Mario vs Mario and Luigi? I don't know im just throwing random ideas!
  • SenatorPepper - August 16, 2012 9:59 p.m.

He really should, cause DAMN, that dude is looking FINE.
  • talleyXIV - August 17, 2012 12:33 a.m.

SNES vs. PS2? What the hell kind of argument would that be? The SNES is easily the best console ever. Plus it is kind of a strange comparison. It is literally like a car from the 20s against a car from the 30s.
  • SenatorPepper - August 16, 2012 9:55 p.m.

Poor Justin! It was never a real contest: People of his island race prefer Sonic over Mario due to a genetic inability to understand what makes games great. Hence why they care about soccer.
  • RODTheMaster - August 16, 2012 10:23 p.m.

I assumed that Towell had an uphill battle for this one, but the man held his own; He was clearly the victor. Great article, gentlemen. I havent laughed so hard at a GRticle in a while.
  • codystovall - August 16, 2012 11:33 p.m.

The only thing I ever actually love/like of mario is paper mario(mariokart is enjoyable though) which just makes me think there should be a paper sonic in the next paper mario game.
  • DirkSteele1 - August 17, 2012 12:46 a.m.

Back in the 90's I was Sonic all the way (which is why I voted as such) but now I enjoy both their games, especially the games from the 16 Bit era. I did like the argument over which was more "Super." Super Sonic is in a different Galaxy compared to Super Mario.
  • Clovin64 - August 17, 2012 1:21 a.m.

I prefer Mario games, but I'm pretty damn impressed Towelly managed to hold his own in a losing battle. I salute you Towell-bot!
  • slimjim441 - August 17, 2012 2:09 a.m.

I love them both, and I think they actually make a pretty good foil for each other, much like Superman and Batman. But just as Batman will always have the one-up on Superman, Mario will always just be better than Sonic. Plus, Mega Man beats them both anyway. And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't 3D Blast Sonic's first 3D game? Doesn't really matter; that game was awful.
  • RedDeadOcelot - August 17, 2012 4:25 a.m.

As much as I love Sonic and grew up on his games, Mario is better because his games are consistently well received and innovative. The mighty has fallen and I accept that.
  • Tranquilbez34 - August 17, 2012 5:45 a.m.

Sorry Justin, as much as I like Justin. Hank the'Mother Effing' Tamks agruements for Mario (and aginst sonic are more convincing)
  • KA87 - August 17, 2012 5:53 a.m.

That was really cool, do you think you could make these debate format articles a weekly mainstay on GR? Next week you could do something like: Saints Row V GTA Fallout V Elder Scrolls. Leon Kennedy V Chris Redfield Cloud V Lighting Alien V Predator LOL
  • FOZ - August 17, 2012 11:15 a.m.

They're only doing it because it's Mario week. Vs. "debates" are generally mentally bankrupt.
  • Shinn - August 17, 2012 6:02 a.m.

I've played a lot of Mario games over the years, and I honest think they're all just as average as Sonic games. Neither are great, both are reasonably entertaining, but I prefer Sonic.
  • AuthorityFigure - August 17, 2012 6:22 a.m.

Let me take on the position in a rebuttal that Bonk is better than both, please. Believe me, the arguments for Bonk are incredibly persuasive.
  • Cloudiology - August 17, 2012 6:44 a.m.

JUSTIN FTW!