Topics

Great Debate

• Kenneth Muliadi - August 22, 2012 9:40 p.m.

Well, if you ask which is my favourite, It'll be Sonic. But if you ask me which is my most favourite game franchise, I'll say it will be Angry Birds
  • Rowdie - August 21, 2012 1:21 p.m.

Wow sonic in a landslide. I never would have imagined it. I voted sonic. The only fun I've really had with mario is Mario kart.
  • sternparez - August 20, 2012 5:14 a.m.

I'll always prefer Sonic to Mario mainly for nostalgia (I only had a MegaDrive when I was younger) but also for the music! You should have mentioned how superior Sonic's music is. But I can admit that Mario's games are generally better especially post Megadrive.
  • tyler_14_420 - August 19, 2012 2:48 p.m.

Sonic has drastically gone downhill, to the point where he's a third-party in a Nintendo game. I felt that should be mentioned. And aside from that, most if not all Sonic 3D games have been shit. Some have occasionally been "decent" but the argument that a mediocre Sonic 3D game had "more to do" doesn't really mean much if it's all crappy gimicky stuff that nobody WANTS to do. Oh boy, a virtual pet raising simulator. SNORE Mario has consistently raised the bar. I admit, Super Mario Bros 2. was not his own innovation (See: Doki Doki Panic) but Super Mario Bros. 3 was an absolute clear winner of the SNES era. The fantastic level design, wide array of powers, hidden secrets, replay value, and overall excellent design just completely blew me away back in the day. Sonic also has an inherent problem in that many of his games design the character towards being fast, and then throw things that just slow him down. Enemies that you have to jump onto (Which slow you down), vertical sequences (Also slow you down) and even some really shitty levels like the water levels. Hell, comparing most Mario levels to Sonic levels, I usually end up getting through the Mario levels faster because they are designed to have better flow. Lots of Sonic Segments are like "Oh, here's a wall. Use this bouncy thing to go over it." Super Mario Galaxy also blew people away. And referencing a cancelled game as proof the concept was too terrible for Sonic is dumb, because you can't argue that people don't like Super Mario Galaxy. It's a fantastic game, and while it shares it flaws, #2 improved upon the original in every way. Super Mario 64 single-handedly brought platforming to 3D, which then opened the door for the likes of fantastic platformers like Banjo-Kazooie. I don't think of any Sonic Games when I think "Good 3D Platformer." This is a decade old argument that only really applies to the 2D era. It's very evident that Mario has completely demolished Sonic in the 3D Era. Tell me... does GamesRadar host a Sonic Week? I think not.
  • aaron-sugarboy-adams - August 19, 2012 9:05 a.m.

if sonic uses the super emeralds back in sonic 3 and knuckles he could kill mario in an instant
  • miles-prowd - August 19, 2012 2:44 a.m.

"Nintendo Nintendo, 2ND Genisis, back in the day we measured greatness in bits. Sonic the hedgehog, or Super Mario, only one can be the king of old-school consoles."
  • miles-prowd - August 19, 2012 2:31 a.m.

Okay, look, I don't care what you say, but Sonic would kill Mario if they were in a fight to the death. Seriously. Look it up on youtube.com (deathbattle mario and sonic). But I will give Mario his props, he does put up a very good fight, making the fight last almost 10 minutes, but he does eventually lose. So, yeah, Mario would prove to be a good match, but would get pwned by Sonic. Now, I don't expect this to end the debate, but like the belives of Justin B., the belivers of Mario will continue to support him. And I have to say, I'm a beliver of Sonic, but I repect all opinons. I'm ust saying that there's proof. If you don'y like it, I don't blame you. I'm just saying. Later. =3
  • Gamer_Geek - August 18, 2012 7:58 a.m.

I always preferred Mario to Sonic, the worlds and enemies have so much more creativity. I'm with Mario all the way with this debate. Aren't we all too old to be arguing about Mario and Sonic anyway?
  • leecosanostra - August 18, 2012 5:14 a.m.

Thats bollocks about sonic levels are made to be raced through as fast as possible. What about Sonic 1,2,3 and Knuckles, where chaos emeralds have to be collected? You can't just race through the stages, or you wouldn't be able to finish the game completely?!
  • Phrosty - August 17, 2012 10:53 p.m.

"Mario basically invented sidescrollers." total bull.. what about pitfall?
  • Phrosty - August 17, 2012 9:59 p.m.

Lets see Mario smashes rocks and can become metal. Sonic kills robots made of metal and has the speed of sound on his side. *[Items cannot be accounted for for this fight its just stupid] *[But if they were sonic has a lot of stuff to make him immune to - stuff more than Mario] *[ex. (Mario Star power) vs (Sonic Invincibility Item Box) but then Sonic has "Super Sonic"] Hmm that decision seems so tough. Haha just kidding Sonic wins. Heck even Metal Sonic can kick Marios butt. This debate is as silly as putting Aquaman Vs Superman.
  • richard-j-murray - August 17, 2012 3:14 p.m.

well no need for this debate , just pop in SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL and settle the score that way;)
  • taras-hrebinka - August 17, 2012 2:03 p.m.

no doubt, sonic wins, he may have a few bad games, but the story, the characters, Sonic the Hedgehog will always be one step above mario, he has the quills, the amazing design, and the coolest set of characters i have ever seen in a video game, sorry mario, you may have been cool years ago, but Sonic stole the spotlight
  • aaron-price - August 17, 2012 12:02 p.m.

... I can't believe im sayin this.... But Mario is getting tiring... A game is something your'e supposed to look forward to... Not something that comes 3X a year every year
  • freddyli0824 - August 17, 2012 11:44 a.m.

God save sonic
  • Danny-Duignan - August 17, 2012 11:09 a.m.

Sonic would kick Mario's ass in no time! See for yourself on Death Battles; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aq_dOLFmxA
  • miles-prowd - August 19, 2012 2:54 a.m.

Yes! Praise God! Someone else in this world that knows! While I'm here I might as well say that Sonic Pwns like a boss. =3
  • rxb - August 17, 2012 9 a.m.

The rules said that it was a hero battle not taking the games into account, Henry seemed to forget this in his first point. Overall on the arguements put forward I think Justin won. To me its pretty obvious that a super fast hedgehog would make a better hero than a fat plumber. The sad thing in my eyes is that even with this better charactor Sega have made the inferior games overall. Talk about wasted potential, Justin's other Sonic/Mario article made me laugh because if Sega had done a good job it could so easily be true.
  • PhantasyPopStar - August 17, 2012 6:58 a.m.

mario and somic suck. iphones are better
  • Shnubby - August 17, 2012 8 a.m.

An iphone is not a video game character.