• Manguy17 - September 6, 2011 12:35 p.m.

its odd, everyone said the Fallout NV had near game breaking bugs, I only ever had one where my dog dissapeared. and i got it day one
  • Elkhorno - September 6, 2011 12:32 p.m.

I had no problem with Dead Space 2 or Deus Ex: Human Revolution, (for now...) but i remember that i was crying out loud when Fallout: New Vegas crashed badly after Obsidian released a "patch" for fixing some minor issues. I had to delete the patch and play offline until they truly fixed the issue. And more recently, I was one of the few lucky people who get their profile corrupted by a glicth with Homefront, leaving the game unplayable. Competition is hard, the pressure is on the developpers, and sometime i think that someone out there try to save money by letting testing their games by the customers after the release date.
  • Sjoeki - September 6, 2011 12:25 p.m.

Ah yes the glitches, I never finished fallout new vegas cause of the bugs it kept throwing at me, for some reason I can't use the V.A.T.S. system and after some corrupted save files I just put it away, never to look at it again. It's awesome that I can go online with my console, but it also opened the gates for patches and some publishers see that as a reason to cut back on the product testing. I think it's a good idea to take stuff like this in account in the reviews. Also my console froze up as I was reading this article on my PS3, you really should check your articles before you put them online and let them crash my console!
  • razorwiretensho - September 6, 2011 12:18 p.m.

Anyone else noticed the guy in the oblivion video is dual-wielding? Must be a computer only thing then, huh?
  • MouseKlok - September 6, 2011 12:10 p.m.

A wonderful article. I completely agree with you David. Games shouldn't be forgiven because of the promise of a patch.
  • Mezolitik - September 6, 2011 11:39 a.m.

Personally, I love 'harmless' glitches; I recently spent ages watching videos of people lost under the map in Fallout 3. I also like the 'hells' in GTA:SA. They're like unintentional Easter eggs. I'll forgive Fallout for its many, many glitches, cos it's such a gigantic game, but there's no excuse for game-breaking bugs going under the radar in smaller games, especially when the internet exists to publicise them all for the developers. My last 'ruined' game was Project Eden, when a key NPC didn't show up on the second-to-last level. Fantastic game, otherwise. ...I really want to play Fallout now.
  • Mezolitik - September 6, 2011 11:40 a.m.

Does anybody know why paragraph spacing is removed when I publish? There should've been three paragraphs in that comment. I'm blaming Chrome for this outrage, otherwise.
  • shawksta - September 6, 2011 11:20 a.m.

I dont know what to say except that,i agree completely with you. As far as developers are concerned, Nintendo and certain 3rd parties know they cant screw up because they cant patch anything, so they do their best.
  • EnigmaSpirit - September 6, 2011 3:54 p.m.

My thoughts summed up. Some glitches are awesome though, but they are usually the ones you intentionally have to go out of your way for. Get Mew in RBY, Black Hole in SSBM, but these of course are pretty rare to come by.
  • suicidali - September 6, 2011 11:19 a.m.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Street Fighter 2... No, not the Handcuffs glitch, but the fact that the ability to cancel regular moves into special moves was a glitch, and now it's pretty much a staple in every fighting game ever made since. The only glitch I've come across recently was in Forza 3, where the Lexus LF-A has a random square missing on the side of it when you go into View/Paint mode, that you can see through... Not game-breaking, just slightly amusing
  • robertpopovic - September 6, 2011 10:53 a.m.

Mind you, I did have a good laugh with a glitch in the first Deus Ex. Not sure which mission it was, but basically at the end of it you got an item and an experience reward or whatever the levelling absed stuff was. However, if you inventory was too full you could not gain the item and the chat was cut off. You did however get the exp and you could take to the same fellar again. Rinse&repeat untill you had everything maxed out. Sure, it kills thr game, but noone was harmed and it was fun for a while.
  • Turboash - September 6, 2011 10:45 a.m.

"patches are really the gamer's enemy" Well DUH!
  • IREPMINNEAPOLIS - September 6, 2011 10:36 a.m.

I had an issue with Mafia 2 and would like to know if I'm the only one. Near the end of the game I had to go pick somebody up. (Not sure who or what mission.) But every time I got a certain distance from my destination no matter what direction I came from, my car would fall through the street and float off into oblivion as I watched the city from underneath get smaller and smaller until I couldn't see it anymore. It happened EVERY SINGLE Time I retried. Anybody else?
  • lordgodalming - September 6, 2011 10:34 a.m.

I was just about sick when Castlevania Lords of Shadow crashed during the final boss fight, 20 hours in, and then corrupted my save. My ONE save, because Mercury Steam only allowed one (automatic) save slot. Unlike Visceral (so far), Mercury Steam fixed the issue, and unlike David (so far), I replayed Castlevania because it's the second-best action game of the console generation after Ninja Gaiden Sigma. But the fact that such a tremendous game was allowed to ship with a bug like that--and ONE SAVE SLOT--was simply inexcusable.
  • ParanoidAndroid - September 6, 2011 10:29 a.m.

A game breaking glitch got me in Beyond Good & Evil, so I know how you feel. Needless to say I always back-up my saves now. It was bad but you live learn, I guess. Not much help to you now, but there you go.
  • robertpopovic - September 6, 2011 10:27 a.m.

Kinda funny how I've been currently re-reading an old Dutch gaming mag just for the fun of it (and to see hype about titles that failed or gems being spawned under the radar). Currently I'm going through the issues where online gaming on consoles got bigger to the point where they gave developers a good excuse for patches and I actually encountered an article lamenting the same thing; developers use the online shebang as a bad excuse to rush out an unfinished or even broken game. I'm happy that I've had the habit of dual/triple saves for years, though it originated mostly from when I played a lot of JRPG's and it was usefull to train a lot before entering a dungeon. I did once encounter a fatal bug in Fallout 3 and the extra save helped, though it did undo an hour or 2 of gameplay. Never had the DS2 bug, but this does make me happy that I used the 2 save-file system there. Still, we shouldn't have to do that just to cover the developer's ass, just our own choices/mistakes in gameplay.
  • TheCakeIsaPie - September 6, 2011 10:25 a.m.

I think the worst part about patches is that they screw over anyone without access to them, like soldiers. Most soldiers don't have internet access for security purposes, so when they play games in their off time, they can't download patches and the game is completely ruined. Way to go, Bethesda. You hate America.
  • JBizFoShiz - September 6, 2011 10:24 a.m.

I am a bit of a platinum hunter. I really shouldn't have to research the hell out of a game before I even pop the disc in, just for fear of game-breaking glitches. The analogy to the broken car parts is spot-on. Glitches can be hilarious, or even aid us (some insanely tough trophies/achievements can be gotten by simply exploiting the AI, for example)... Even if I really do care about a game, and want to cough up dough for it, I definitely DO hold off if bugs and glitches are present. Supporting our favorite companies is one thing - supporting their incompetence is another. TL;DR I agree with this article.
  • MetallicaDan - September 6, 2011 10:24 a.m.

The Ghostbusters achievement glitch is one that comes to mind. There's a Facebook group and people were posting on Atarti/Majesco's forums constantly... Aaaand it never got fixed. Probably never will.
  • KNITEpanda - September 6, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Oblivion glitches are fun, however, I had a game breaker once. After 90+ hours saved. I had looted a cave with some awesome shield gear. Then I found myself using coffins on the side of a pit to cross the pit...Needless to say my body glitched INTO the coffin and I couldn't jump out, crouch out, or nothing. Needless to say I HAD to revert to a save farther back due to a broken auto save even. And the best part of all, was I never saw that look ever again. Anywho, I couldn't help but giggle when I read, "Yes, people carry spare TYRES for a reason, but we’re back to that sliding scale again"