• SausageLozenge - October 9, 2010 10:52 a.m.

An educational read, thanks G-dar. I think an expanded list could include Online Multiplayer, Map/Level editor, the power-up, extra life, boss fight, 3-D seems to be big now, 1st digital download game, 1st streamed game, 1st force feedback, 1st motion control (debatable if its an evolution), and maybe voice communication.
  • dirtyolddingus - October 9, 2010 9:20 a.m.

Fantastic article, really enjoyed this one. As a game player of ageing years I have seen pretty much most of these and watched games evolved over the years. Nice to have a reminder of it all as its easy to take games for granted nowadays. Only thing I might have added was the medium games have come on like cartridge, tape, disk, cd and so on as this has also helped the evolution as bigger storage meant bigger more complex games. Great article.
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - October 9, 2010 9:11 a.m.

Such a great feature. A fun read, thanks guys.
  • jmcgrotty - October 9, 2010 6:58 a.m.

God. Sound in games is a cancer. As much as I hate it, I would have expected the Revolution to make the list, along with an honorable mention of the Kinect. You showed at least 2 other hardware evolutions, so can't really say that the article was just about programming evolutions. And MUD's are still the best way to do any gaming. I spend hours a day at mudpuddle.shwaine.com:3000
  • WrathLord03 - October 9, 2010 5:49 a.m.

Firstly, only one important evolution in the past decade? Interesting... Secondly, I would have thought that the ability to control a human on the screen that could shoot and run and stuff, and then get into a car and drive that is a pretty big evolution in gaming. So, as RonnyLive19881 said, "WTH Games Radar"???
  • Jamahl - October 9, 2010 3:48 a.m.

Don't be jealous of snipers, they do hard work. Expecially halo snipers, since they have to manually slow down their movements while zoomed, and only get one-shot kills with headshots. : P
  • Pytor - October 9, 2010 3:45 a.m.

Great, great article!
  • Rubberducky - October 9, 2010 3:22 a.m.

I can vaguely recall getting Adventure as a present when I was a kid, I do remember playing it endlessly though. Sigh, makes me wish I could re-live my childhood!
  • Haxorz - October 9, 2010 1:43 a.m.

Hmmm, surprised to see no first item collection for the over achievers of gaming society.... But good read indeed.
  • FNG - October 9, 2010 1:09 a.m.

SNIPER FOREVER
  • RonnyLive19881 - October 9, 2010 1:07 a.m.

Where is Max Pain for bullet time and (Was it?) Assassins Creed for Climbing? Boost in racing games, Motion controls, analog(N64), solder buttons(SNES), Handheld(Gameboy), Puzzle games... WTH Games Radar Lol
  • BMW89 - October 9, 2010 1:04 a.m.

Great read. Really made me stop and think about how someone had to pioneer nearly every little thing that helps makes games today great.
  • Aletheon - October 9, 2010 12:19 a.m.

I love me some Level Select. It gives me the illusion of control and progress in a game that doesn't happen without it. oh, and RE4 was the last revolution we've seen. What's next?
  • ThePurpleDragon - October 9, 2010 12:16 a.m.

I hope when you're talking about Half Life 2's AI, you're talking about the episodes and Alex's AI. Because the partner and enemy AI in Half Life 2 was atrocious.
  • NotBraze - October 9, 2010 12:07 a.m.

Once again, Myst is tragically left off the list. Love it or hate it, Myst was a HUGE influence on games at the time and it shouldn't be forgotten.
  • batmanboy11 - October 9, 2010 12:03 a.m.

Good list.
  • Cloudiology - October 8, 2010 11:42 p.m.

see this is why i visit gamesradar.. you guy's alway's fascinate me with your dedication to everything that is gaming. no matter how random or pointless the article you produce is, it always brings a smile to my face. you all seem to have this dedication to not only current games and how they were influenced by past games but how they may always be part of the evolution. not much escapes you. and just reading this article reaffirms my belief of the passion you treasure but also the respect.. gaming has come a very long way and this article breaths fresh air into my lungs.. understanding how it's gotten this far without ignoring the original games that pioneered these aspects the mainstream games take credit for them.. no other site does this on a regular basis. and for that. i thank you. p.s. also, you all also have an excellent sense of humour!
  • Imgema - October 8, 2010 11:09 p.m.

So, Outlaws then? I didn't know it was released before Goldeneye. All this time i thought Goldeneye was the FPS that introduced the zoomable sniper rifle. Well, at least it still applies for the consoles.
  • Eaxis - October 8, 2010 10:43 p.m.

This was an awesome read.
  • Nin10DOH - October 8, 2010 10:35 p.m.

Yea son, Resident Evil 4 rocks. Gaming sure has evolved a lot.