• Moondoggie1157 - October 6, 2010 8:59 p.m.

I find your lack of faith... refreshing. Though I sense a disturbance in the force.
  • Chrisd - October 6, 2010 8:49 p.m.

To quote what i read in a form "religion is like a pienis, its ok if you got one just don't go waving it about in public or trying to ram it down my throught" which
  • crumbdunky - October 6, 2010 8:45 p.m.

From anyone other than Mr Sterling I'd see the inclusion of Catholicism(which, if anything, is a sect rather than any sort of cult)as just a bit ill advised and not quite fitting with the subject matter. However, seeing as JS regularly writes to massage his own ego rather than for anything like the reason of informing readers about gaming(lord forbid) I cannot be so charitable. When will he grow out of poking "fun" at the biggest games with the most fans(or in this case a massive religious body)just for the controversy? The "hey, look at how controversial and edgy I am!!" shtick is wearing mighty thin on this reader to the point where I really can't be bothered thinking about him or his articles any more. It's not big and it's not brave and because you know he's doing it only for the reaction it isn't EVEN offensive or controversial as you have no reason to think he actually believes what he's written.It's sad to me that a man gifted with no small talent for string words together chooses to waste it in this rather crass and formulaic manner-and I'm sure he wouldn't like to think he WAS writing to a formula but it's there for all to see. A real pity when writers with less God given talent regularly write better pieces just because they aren't as caught up in their own importance. I just hope he grows up before he spunks his talent away completely and forgets how top do this job properly.
  • mrandydixon - October 6, 2010 8:45 p.m.

First!
  • humpiedumpie - October 6, 2010 8:43 p.m.

Fun article, not so sure if the last one is smart to place. But i guess it's kind of funny.. :P
  • Athenacas - October 6, 2010 8:43 p.m.

Catholicism is a very complex religion, and most of those commenting as well as the author himself seem to be confused or misinformed with regard to its theology and morality. Please do not comment on that particular portion of the article if you do not understand it. By the way, don't hold religion responsible for the acts of others (your reference to the soldiers in the Crusades). We don't hold atheism responsible for the Holodomor and the Great Leap Forward. I also understand that the section was written regarding Dante's Inferno, but the author seemed to intentionally include it (despite it not being a cult) for the purpose of attacking it. Finally, the author's attempt to connect the Covenant to Islam is misguided, and he once again demonstrates a lack of knowledge in that department.
  • JamesT - October 6, 2010 8:31 p.m.

Fantastic. I love you GR.
  • MyNameIsMyName - October 6, 2010 8:25 p.m.

I'm not a Catholic, but you can't go in half cocked on a criticism of a real thing if you don't know the basis. It's promoting the same ignorant, broadbrush bigotry that you accuse the religion of. Do you not see the irony?
  • ColZechs - October 6, 2010 8:21 p.m.

I never understood why people get upset when someone pokes fun at religion. It's like 5 year olds acting indignant and offended when they're told there's no Santa.
  • vanguard - October 6, 2010 8:14 p.m.

Weird, an atheist is taking offense to a dig at a religion he doesn't even believe in. Poser, anyone? I've never seen the Bioshock cult myself, but I might have just blasted through them just to get some Adam.
  • kyle94 - October 6, 2010 8:08 p.m.

Technically, the Covenant aren't really a cult. Considering it has complete control over planets, several alien races, and probably billions of individuals, it's just a religion. A cult is any religion that is either small and/or recent. I don't think the Covenant is either. It's kind of like calling the Catholic Church during the Middles Ages a cul...wait...you did that too... Never mind then.
  • Kingsman - October 6, 2010 8:03 p.m.

Ouch on that last one...though I haven't seen any one froth at the mouth yet.
  • wampastompa - October 6, 2010 8:02 p.m.

One thing I learned from minoring in religious studies in college, the 'real' ones are almost as crazy as the made-up ones! Not a slam at religious people, I'm all for whatever gives you hope!
  • NelosAngelos - October 6, 2010 7:58 p.m.

And what about the cult of the Damned from Warcraft 3? Pretty twisted there. They believe in their "paradise" is to be reanimated into rotting hulking monstrosities and serve their king for all eternity in a glorious world of shadow and necrophiliacs....eeeeeeeeeeh *shudders*
  • NelosAngelos - October 6, 2010 7:55 p.m.

By Odin's name! Thank the great wanderer these are all just fictitious beliefs!
  • Eluros - October 6, 2010 7:51 p.m.

Okay, first off, the Cult of Kefka should have been on this list. Thanks to paganpoet for mentioning it first. Second, I am fairly confident that mainstream Roman Catholics do not believe there are monsters in hell. Hell is a place of torment-- why would demons want to be there, if they would be tormented? I get the sort of humor you're going for, but the last entry is very snarky and low-brow. I expect better from games journalists-- or, for that matter, my 17-year-old brother.
  • Christopia - October 6, 2010 7:49 p.m.

I can think of a few more fun cults, Los illuminados in resi 4 is a good one! Fair play on the Catholicism thing, I don't belive religion should be immune to criticism, after all, if people will hold an outdated and inaccurate belife in the face of overwhelming evidence, why not poke fun?
  • JohnDagger - October 6, 2010 7:45 p.m.

I'm sorry Jim Sterling, Imma let you finish, but the Raincoat Cult in Dead Rising was the best Cult of all time....OF ALL TIME!
  • paganpoet - October 6, 2010 7:42 p.m.

Cult of Kefka > all of these. stay pressed. x
  • infernox - October 6, 2010 7:40 p.m.

i never saw the saturnine in bioshock. were they in bioshock 2? ambrosia is the virus in deus ex that the government created.