We Recommend

• kyle94 - October 6, 2010 11:01 p.m.

@Chrisd The quote is actually: "Religion is like a penis. It is alright to have one. It is alright to be proud of it. But please don't whip it out in public and start swinging it around, and please don't shove it down my children's throats."
  • Clovin64 - October 6, 2010 10:54 p.m.

I agree with paganpoet on this one. The Cult of Kefka should be here dammit! As for that last point, I do get irritated when Christians tell me I'm going to hell for being an atheist, but since I know pretty much bugger all about religion, I'll just resist the temptation to type some snarky comment.
  • aberkromby - October 6, 2010 10:43 p.m.

Way to write a criticism of a belief system from 0ver 500 years ago, and couple it with a modern picture.
  • Lemurian - October 6, 2010 10:26 p.m.

wheres that crazy cult from dead rising? they freaked me out more than the psychopaths
  • batmanboy11 - October 6, 2010 10:26 p.m.

What about The Los Illuminados?
  • zymn - October 6, 2010 10:13 p.m.

shit, there's mention of Harold again. i can't find that guy... ah well, i still think that the giant holographic brain of a dead scientist that's using a bunch of crazed hallucenogenic plant eating hippies to kill an old ghoul-ish rival kind of beats it. actually... it's kind of the same situation of how the brain tries to talking in plain english but they interpret it into something else... this in Point Lookout by the way... i smell copyright infringement. unless Harold is in Point Lookout as well. then i've gotta go back and search for him.
  • michaelpreston - October 6, 2010 9:59 p.m.

This article's statements of "bigotry" and "racism" are NOT part of normal religions like Catholicism, Christianity, Islam, or Judaism. The reasons you are using these words is because some people in the past and present have committed serious crimes against God, humanity, and religion in general. Religion = a way of life according to a faith. Since it is a way of life, feel free to criticize it and it's users, that's how humanity moves forward. However, one should NOT let this deter the faithful (or unfaithful) from religion altogether. Proper use of common sense and logic can keep people out of cults (i.e. Scientology, the Puritans, etc.). In layman's terms: Blame man (who made religion) not God (who made man). Like my best friend says: "Have faith, but don't be an asshole!" Sage advice. I don't mean to "preach", but it's logical to say that man cannot handle the task of religion by himself. Man is guilty of this and many other things. Hence, cults exist due to fanaticism. Some things are good in moderation, this includes religion. -MP
  • boxmeizter - October 6, 2010 9:55 p.m.

i never noticed the saturnine cult either. and i have completed the story 3 times or so. love the game btw, looking forward to infinte
  • hybr1dgamerx - October 6, 2010 9:51 p.m.

i kinda expect a backlash from that last bit jim :P
  • Tispower - October 6, 2010 9:46 p.m.

@crumbdunky +1 It's not necessary to mix game journalism with religion/atheism to write something contraversial and/or funny. However this article does neither.
  • RabidCabbage - October 6, 2010 9:43 p.m.

I am extremely shocked by this article. An Englishman using the word "zany"? Oh dear. Good stuff though, I should probably get round to finishing Dead Space.
  • johnthe5th - October 6, 2010 9:42 p.m.

I agree with Athenecas and crumbdunky. This was a great and funny article until the end. It just seems out of place and rude. I just love the irony about how you just throw around the words "bigotry" and "intolerance" and yet you don't realize that's exactly what you're doing here. I'm not Catholic, and I don't agree with many aspects of the Catholic church, but that doesn't mean its OK for me to persecute them. Or anybody, for that matter.
  • paganpoet - October 6, 2010 9:41 p.m.

@Bonesqaw - Maybe the Cult of Kefka just marches around all dead-eyes and trancelike, but they have the freakiest theme music. Seriously, that shit used to blow my 10 year old mind.
  • CH3BURASHKA - October 6, 2010 9:41 p.m.

You really tickled the fuck out of my funny bone on that last one, Sterling. Thanks. I was hoping for a mention of the Satanists from Max Payne. They're nothing special or outstanding, but the first time I played through that section I damn near shat myself, especially when he comes at you in his drug rage.
  • shadowreaper72 - October 6, 2010 9:33 p.m.

Im probably going to sound like a smartass here but the Covanant didnt go to war with humans just because they was racist. When the Covanant attacked Harvest they actually tried to indoctrinate humanity into their beliefs as well. But for some damn reason they sent Brutes for diplomatic discusions(seriously, Brutes? theyre fucking murder loving dumbasses!) All hell broke lose. Meanwhile back at High Charity, the prophets saw there was according to their scanners that their was Forerunner artifacts galore on Harvest. They had an Oracle, which is actually another dumbass moniter like Guilty Sparks, and they asked them why was the artifacts disapearing off of harvest. Turns out humans are the forerunners and they are dying. But the prophets claimed blasphemy closed their eyes and said lalalalalalalalal while they declared war on humanity and there you have it. Came off the novel Halo Contact Harvest
  • Christopia - October 6, 2010 9:19 p.m.

I think there's a certain irony to the article. I mean, only a very small number of Catholics, or most religions for that matter view thier holy text as absolute truth. Obviously the Catholicism of dante's inferno isn't an accurate depiction of modern Catholicism, by acting as though it were I got the impression that jim was jesting, playing up to the attitude of the Internet in general towards gaming. Even if he wasn't, he's expressing some ones opinion is incorrect and causing a debate, which is hardly crime of the century!
  • Thuperman - October 6, 2010 9:17 p.m.

I am outraged! How dare you? I mean really!?! REALLY?!? Must you stoop so low? How could you have put that last part in? I would have thought you were better than this, I mean come on.....calling the Saturnines "zany"? Well I stand by and watch this happen. SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!!
  • yasmarc - October 6, 2010 9:02 p.m.

It's funny that it's ok to make fun of made-up religion but then he threw in a real one and suddenly everyone tries to argue. All religion is made up to an extent (and some by sci-fi writers oooooooooh yea!) Recaptcha - kopenblo endure??????????
  • Bonesqaw - October 6, 2010 9:01 p.m.

I'd say that Los Illuminados should be on the list; Cult of Kefka doesn't really do anything "crazy"; they just dance and stuff I think that last one was actually pretty great satire of Catholocism (noting the line about loose basis in reality)
  • masneppihs02 - October 6, 2010 9 p.m.

@JohnDagger I totally agree with this statement