We Recommend

• wampastompa - February 13, 2013 11 a.m.

I know that Gamestop has an obvious horse in this race, but every poll I've seen (including one on Microsoft's site) shows that gamers are OVERWHELMINGLY against blocking used games. If the new Xbox blocks used games, and the new Playstation doesn't, you will say a massive switch in console preferences. I'd much rather see an online pass system, where you have to pay $5 or even $10 to unlock a used game. You guarantee that the publisher still sees some money for second-hand game sales, and buyers still get a used game at under new-game prices
  • steven-duncan - February 13, 2013 11:47 a.m.

that's a solution I can get with. good idea. I would be willing 2 pay $5, $10, or a reasonable amount 2 unlock a used game.
  • brickman409 - February 13, 2013 9:05 p.m.

They already do that with some games, It kind of sucks
  • bigjerd886 - February 13, 2013 10:55 a.m.

"Internal GameStop research suggests," also known as we don't want to lose our jobs so we're going to give out this information. People are going to buy the consoles regardless and when this happens GameStop will go out of business. I'd feel bad if they didn't rip off their own customers so much, but quite frankly I couldn't care less if they go under.
  • MolokoVeck - February 13, 2013 11:22 a.m.

Of course, GameStop is a business and this would hurt their business. On the other hand, GameStop is also correct that this will hurt the game industry as a whole. Most of the games that I own I purchased used, and I know a lot of people whose libraries are similarly comprised mostly of games that they purchased used. I would not own half of the games that I own today if I had to purchase them all at new prices. I also own two current-gen consoles, and would definitely only have one if I could not purchase used games. I purchased my consoles used as well... I just do not understand the arguments against used games. Anyone who argues against used games would also have to argue against used electronics, used cars, used appliances, used furniture, used movies, and even used books. When I am finished with something that I bought, why should I be prohibited from sharing it with someone else? If the next-gen consoles implement this restriction then I would not even be allowed to let my friends borrow games. This is the type of move that alienates players.
  • sliqcore - February 13, 2013 10:41 a.m.

I can't understand how anyone would believe that. They may be slower at adopting the new consoles but they surely will if they don't have another way to play new titles. I'm all for it, if I could have digital distribution with cloud saves and multiple machines sharing the same library I would definitely be on board. I say the allow used games but stop printing physical copies which eliminates the issue without the blow back and media nightmare of preventing used copies compatibility. Personally I have never been a fan of used games. I avoid them at all costs which for a Disabled Veteran that makes barely enough to survive this is not easily done. Still, I do it, I appreciate the experience these people create and I'm not about to take the money out of their pocket by buying from a company that had absolutely no part of making that game. I'm not about to buy stolen furniture and I'm not going to give Gamestop money for Bethesda's game. It takes a bit of maturity and selflessness to not want to get the best price and not think about any impact further than your own wallet. Sure these are big companies doing just fine but that to me doesn't make it right. My integrity doesn't carry a price tag.
  • MolokoVeck - February 13, 2013 11:14 a.m.

It is ridiculous to compare purchasing used games to purchasing stolen furniture. The correct comparison would be to compare purchasing used games to purchasing second-hand furniture. Should we also not be allowed to purchase used consoles, used movies, used televisions, used cars, etc...? To say that purchasing used games is some sort of stealing is just absurd. Bethesda shipped 5 million copies of Fallout New Vegas, earning $300 million, within three weeks of launch, not to mention the money they earned from merchandise and strategy guides. If someone wants to sell their copy of a game they purchased new, then that is their right. If I want to buy something used then that is my right. I do not hear anyone here complaining about purchasing used Blu-rays or DVDs, and a lot of the people who are making the argument against used games probably download pirated software and movies all the time. Anyway, people will still buy these consoles, and eventually there are going to be mods that allow you to play used games. I do not believe used games will ever go away. They may try it, but it will not last.
  • steven-duncan - February 13, 2013 11:39 a.m.

Here is what everyone is missing. Sure no one wants to take the money out of anyone's pockets but there are two major things wrong with blocking used games. first of all I doubt that there is anybody who hasn't paid $50 or $60 4 a game and found out it was a dud. That can be be the most frustrating thing in the world. Sliqcore (thanks 4 your service, i was in the navy myself), you say that U won't take money out of other people pockets but what about when it's done to U and U get a shoddy game in return? will U still be so rightous? Does anybody really think the game developers care about your integity? Let's don't 4get that this whole blocking used games is about profit. R the games going 2 be better? I doubt it. This is all about them, not us the consumer. Secondly how does this affect gamefly? what happens if we R unable 2 try a game out first? Sure some people will buy the new systems no matter what but what about those on a budget who have 2 be selective about what they spend their hard earned $50 or $60 on? how many people like that R going to take a chance on the game being a dud? Yes there R reviews but trying a game out first is the best way to know. I have tried games in the past that were highly recommended but just weren't 4 me. Assasin's Creed is a perfect example. To be honest, U have to admit that some of these games aren't worth the full price. Especially when they R extremely short, full of glitches, or just plain stink. I think blocking used games will make the consumer gun shy and wait to see how it fairs first before they buy it or not buy it at all. I think they R cutting their profits more than anything. like others, I don't feel the need to go out and buy a new system right now or any time in the near future because I still have plenty of PS3 games to try and I have never owned a XBOX360, so I have plenty of gaming to keep me busy. We R all more inclined to take a chance on a game if it cost a little less. If the game makers R willing to lower the price over time then that could be a solution but they must find another way not everyone can afford full price on a possible dud and if U R someone, like a disabled veteran who barely makes enough 2 survive, who doesn't have a lot of money but U spend full price on every game U buy then U may need 2 question your priorities.To be honest, I just don't have the money 2 buy all new games most of my games R purchased from Gamefly. Like millions of other people I simply can't afford to make a bad purchased. I'm in school so I have other priorities so I look 4 deals where I can get them. paying 4 a little less 4 game is not stealing. Unless they can come up with another solution, they WILL lose business over this.
  • StoneDreadnaught - February 13, 2013 11:48 a.m.

I can't take a written argument seriously if '4', 'R', and 'U' are used in place of 'for', 'Are' and 'You'.
  • avantguardian - February 13, 2013 1:02 p.m.

yeah, wall of text + cellphone speak usually doesn't translate to something that people want to put themselves through, regardless of the point being made.
  • steven-duncan - February 13, 2013 1:09 p.m.

If U understood what it meant then U took it seriously. As long as U understood it. Welcome 2 the 21st century.
  • CrashmanX - February 13, 2013 2:52 p.m.

I'm afraid you haven't caught up with the 19th century yet and proper grammar. I HIGHLY suggest you go back to school. I was going to take the time to read your argument but all those 2s and Us just made me look at it and go "Yea... no." Your grammar makes one HELL of an impact on people. Especially first impression.
  • brickman409 - February 13, 2013 9:09 p.m.

I agree, but learn to spell lol
  • Cameltotem1 - February 13, 2013 10:30 a.m.

If they block used games everyone might as well just buy a good gaming pc and say screw consoles.
  • stadisticado - February 13, 2013 10:25 a.m.

What are they seriously going to do? Change their lifestyles and stop playing new games altogether? Move to PC? Steam has already effectively ended any sale or transfer of PC games. If both new consoles implement similar schemes, I'm not sure there's anything consumers can really do at all.
  • CrashmanX - February 13, 2013 2:54 p.m.

To a degree Steam has done that. However some PC titles still allow you to play without the CD-key or without registering it to Steam. So you can still share those or sell em used. Also, of course move to PC is the answer. Steam sales make used games a thing of the past. Hell I got Borderlands 2 for $30 only a few weeks after launch. Meanwhile consoles used versions still cost $37 used and $40 new. It just ain't worth it.
  • wingsdjy - February 13, 2013 10:03 a.m.

It's no different than all the other boycotts fanboys try to initiate. They never work. Once the shiny, new consoles exist, everyone will flock to them regardless.
  • wampastompa - February 13, 2013 10:56 a.m.

I don't think you're correct. This is very different than fans saying they'll boycott one game because they changed some little feature. Especially in this economy, gamers rely on used games more than ever. 1/3 of my library is used, and I trade games with my friends all the time, and I really doubt I'd buy a new system with the ability to do that.