• BaraChat - January 4, 2012 8:23 p.m.

Mine would be Crysis 2. The single-player campaign wasn't bad at all, if not particularly original. In fact I played it twice and I very rarely do that in FPS games. The main problem is the multiplayer. I don't know how it is on PC/360, but on PS3 it was extremely frustrating. I was so disappointed with it, as much as I forced myself to play it and tried to ignore the problems. Couldn't do it, multi was broken. I do hope for regular players that some patches resolved most of the issues, but it definitely lost me.
  • BaraChat - January 4, 2012 8:26 p.m.

I just re-read my comment and realized it was kinda hard to understand... I'm sorry. The point is : Crysis 2's MP was astonishingly disappointing.
  • Slayer11496 - January 4, 2012 8:17 p.m.

i think AC:Revelations let me down a bit. But guys? Really you didn't enjoy Gear's 3? It has solid multiplayer(all four modes of it), an Epic (mind the pun) story that made most people cry, and some of the best fanservice around considering all the special playlists and DLC. What's not to love? PS: nothing being generated with that gaming engine looks bland
  • kingsmikefan - January 4, 2012 9:55 p.m.

Who cried at Gears 3's campaign? Oh yeah, people who have never encountered a superbly written story with textured characters. Gears doesn't have those.
  • thinkBrigger - January 4, 2012 11:50 p.m.

Spoilers Below: Gears 3's story was a slog and frankly a bit of a mess. This coming from a big fan of the games. A lot of the trilogy's story is missing out on details or just holes in the writing that can be difficult to let pass if you're actively paying attention. The height of Gears' writing definitely would have had to been Dom finding his wife in the second game, not beautiful and energetic as she once was, but broken and gone in nearly every way. Not the best twist or reveal in a game I've ever seen, but it was emotionally impacting. However, no moment in the third game came even close to that feeling. Dramatic moments were easily detectable, to the point where I'd almost call the writing campy. It was easy to see Dom was going out in that game, from the way he reacted to everything to the name of the chapter where he sacrifices himself. He tells his wife he'll join her soon, leaves his dog tags behind, gives Marcus his knife... I could hardly be surprised when he finally slammed the truck and caused the explosion. It was more of me saying, "Finally, there it is." There was no response for it because his death was so obviously broadcast to be coming, you were already prepared for it. Same with Marcus' dad, dropping all these hints that he had no intention of seeing how the war would end. His death meant next to nothing because Epic were practically holding up megaphones and shouting spoilers at us. Plus never explaining why the Locust Queen had a human form in any real way, which is something many fans were quite interested in. I don't exactly play Gears for the story, but I was expecting more than what we got and ultimately found it to be a real let down in that aspect. I think Epic could have easily made us care by setting someone like Dom up to go, then subverting the trope and say, taking Anya or Cole instead. Catching us completely off guard and keeping us on edge for the rest of the game. Story and character wise, there was a lot of room for improvement, especially since this is the game they're supposed to be closing out on, but they just feel into tired tropes and predictable writing. Don't get me wrong, I love the hell out of this game. I don't play the online multiplayer, but there's no console co-op I prefer more than Gears. Especially since you can play with a friend on the same couch with just one XBOX; the gameplay always being intensely satisfying. Personally enjoying the storyline isn't bad, but there are some serious problems with it that were pretty depressing. But you can see the developers did put a lot of love and heart into the game. I can definitely appreciate that.
  • BladedFalcon - January 4, 2012 8:16 p.m.

Er... Sorry Hollander Cooper, i like you, i usually do, but I disagree with your choice, and i think the reasons are pretty flimsy. I assume your complaint about the floating knife is a joke so i won't bother with it. But turning into a raven hardly makes the game crap or unplayable, and the obligatory sections with it are pretty scarce, and outside of them, it can actually be a pretty damn useful power to have. And lastly, like Keast, you complain that the controls are imprecise and not meant for platforming.... then how come myself and a good chunk of other gamers that actually tried the game managed to beat the game without that much difficulty? And i don't even consider myself that good of a gamer. The controls aren't the problem, the problem is coddled people that have gotten so used to modern games hand-holding that any game that demands any actual challenge now seems broken or archaic to them.
  • Moondoggie1157 - January 4, 2012 8:55 p.m.

What he said ^
  • FemJesse - January 4, 2012 11:09 p.m.

No I tried that game. The controls are pretty f'in crappy. Smooth for combat, like trying to maneuver a tube up your urethra for platforming. "how come myself and a good chunk of other gamers that actually tried the game managed to beat the game without that much difficulty?" Answer is the same as always, its a dick measuring competition so you can go online and say OMGzors i beat this HARD game quick measure my ePeen... I'ma comment on the article cause I want everyone to know how long my epeen is.
  • BladedFalcon - January 5, 2012 5:26 a.m.

"The controls are pretty f'in crappy. Smooth for combat, like trying to maneuver a tube up your urethra for platforming." Okay, you used a weird metaphor that doesn't really make sense. That didn't give a single actual reason why the controls are actually crappy. Simply put: The controls are responsive, Rayne always jump when you press jump. The dash works when you ask it to work, it also works depending on how long you keep holding on it, so you always have a custom control of how much do you need to dash. Controls aren't the problem at all, if you can correctly measure how much jump and dash you need to use, you can reach any and all platforms the game throws your way. Also, the e-peen argument is pretty stupid. I just said before that i don't even consider myself that good of a gamer. I don't care about leaderboards, And i don't even have an online page or account showing off how many trophies I have. If I was cared at that shit, i would be constantly measuring my skill against others here in the comments, and i don't. All I'm stating is the simple truth: The game is fine, sure, it's not hand-holding you and won't make things easy for you, but it gives you every single necessary tool to beat it. It doesn't even has a live system, you have unlimited tries from a checkpoint, so it's not even sadic old school difficulty. Anyone blaming the controls for not being able to beat the game is simply a whiner that can't admit they don't have the patience and will to overcome a true obstacle. *Notice I said patience, not skill, which is usually how most people actually beat a difficult challenge :P)
  • FemJesse - January 5, 2012 3:45 p.m.

Sure. The controls are completely organic. Its natural and normal to have to hit the shoulder along with a face button at the same time on a timed jump while attacking other enemies. I'm just dumb and so is Hollander. This game is well designed and we're dumb for not liking it. Its not that the jump ability is delayed for too long after dashing or any other flaws that you wouldn't mention because you know they're there. We don't like to be "punished" in the way you like to be "challenged." We're just dumb.
  • BladedFalcon - January 5, 2012 4:26 p.m.

Okay... first of all, when you're in a platforming section, why the hell would you want to attack another enemy? If you are in a platforming section of the game, the main thing you want to do is avoid obstacles and move ahead. Only button you need to hold down is the dash to keep the momentum, it's a shoulder button, it doesn0t restrict you at all to have it hold down, that's their purpose. The other only button you need to press is the jump button, y'know, like in any other platformed. It's not rocket science, and it's not convoluted, it's just you trying to make something complex when it's not. Also, letting go the dash and then jumping avoid any delay whatsoever, so again, you're making a complain about the controls that others don't have. I am not ignoring flaws, I simply didn't have them, don't try to generalize your issues to what other experienced, please.
  • FemJesse - January 5, 2012 3:51 p.m.

A challenging game is trying to figure out what needs to be done and doing it. A frustrating game is figuring out what needs to be done and being unable to do it because the controls are shit. Maybe it took you so much "Patience" because the game is poorly designed. Checkpoints come rarely after a "challenging" part. When you finally do feel good about accomplishing a section despite the game's buttery combat intended controls, there's no checkpoint to be had. Then a saw comes and kills you. FUN FUN FUN FUN
  • BladedFalcon - January 5, 2012 4:36 p.m.

"A challenging game is trying to figure out what needs to be done and doing it." You're not really defining a challenge there, you're defining an obstacle of undefined difficulty. A cahllange is, and i quote a dictionary: "A test of one's abilities or resources in a demanding but stimulating undertaking" Keyword here being demanding. Demanding usually requires patience to meet the demand. Beating this game took me patience not because it was poorly designed, but because it demanded skill and precision of me. I'm not gonna try and discuss checkpoint spreading because I simply can't be arsed to remember each and specific ones. But I can be pretty sure that each level had checkpoints spread in equivalent length. Maybe not spread trough specific challenging parts. But still, if you make it trough a decent portion of the stage, you can expect to have hit a checkpoint. i don't really see the problem here. Also, if you don't think it's fun to have the game kill you in a part you were unprepared for, teaching you HOW to do better next time. Then it's YOU that has the problem, not the game.