We Recommend

• flare149 - March 1, 2012 12:23 p.m.

I completely forgot about the limited dialogue, that part made me laugh so hard! I head the "Go,go,go!" line in pretty much every fight I was in. Also I definitely want to join the group that thinks guns in ME2 and 3 should just default to the overheating ME 1 type of weapons when you run out of thermal clips.
  • Rowdie - March 1, 2012 12:10 p.m.

The heat sink things that act like ammo are terrible. While over all I'd say the combat in 2 was better there was a point in the original using an infiltrator iirc, that was total gaming zen. Using a pistol the feel was simply magnificent. The abilities were a shield (buffer?), something that made you fire faster, heat was limited... you could run and gun till they wore out, grab some quick cover, adrenaline so you could cast them all again and right back to run and gun. The weight of the pistol and fast as you can semi auto just came together perfectly. Seems like it's been a long wait for ME3, and I'm hoping/thinking it will be the perfect ending to the 360. Yes yes Halo 4... anyone remember Burning Rangers? With the change in abilities I could never recreate it in ME2.
  • MetroidPrimeRib - March 1, 2012 11:47 a.m.

Actual RPG Elements
  • Plan10FromOuterSpace - March 1, 2012 11:12 a.m.

how long do people think it will take me to finish the first Mass Effect, im ashamed to admit i've never completed it despite the sequel being one of my favorite games ever, could it be done in time for the mass effect3 launch?
  • TheLefty - March 1, 2012 12:23 p.m.

You could probably do it this weekend if you do a speed run and don't really do much else with your life.
  • kiwidaydreams - March 1, 2012 10:30 a.m.

I had to laugh at the Sha'ira bit. I've played through ME1 a few times and never slept with her, then decided to be more renegade through my latest play-through and WHOOPS. I totally chalk it up to the brainwashing thing - though it doesn't help knowing my squad-mates were likely there the entire time...WATCHING.
  • josh-horvath - March 1, 2012 9:34 a.m.

the mako was the best character in ME1. I shed a tear when it sacrificed itself in the final level. goodnight, sweet prince the only thing that bugged me about ME1 was that there was a 1001 upgrades for every piece of equipment. I remember capping the entire 150 item limit entirely with upgrades once.
  • Darkwun - March 1, 2012 9:32 a.m.

LOL love this. Going through ME1 with my fourth Shep now. Starting to get bored of the Mako already. Seriously... forward thrusters... quicker charging shields. Problem solved. That's it! Fed up of being inches away from driving up a near vertical wall... inches away from climbing it... just to get to a rock to survey... then boom. I fall back to the bottom. forward thrusters would stop that! Or a heated battle, on my last legs... then I have to hide behind a rock and wait 3 minutes for sheilds to charge. Lets not forget that ME is a game! This is why things like 'fast travel' was invented! we want to avoid the slog of real life! May as well have mud on the floor that the Mako has to shift into gear one to get out of. Hell, even the Salarian in mE2 takes the piss out of uber realism in RPGs! I do get pissed off with the inventory but handling it better on my fourth run through. The thing I miss most is XP for my kills. I get satisfaction for every kill I get. I have a reason for bunkering down and killing everyone, like that ME2 mission where the dust storm kicks in and you're surrounded by droids. In ME1 I'd sit there for as long as possible, in ME2 I just run for the ship. I love the ammo, it adds an extra level to the gameplay. But... that being said... it just doesn't make sense. But I'm willing to bet the writer's grimaced as the producers brought this up too
  • n00b - March 1, 2012 8:39 a.m.

ya i disliked these parts in me1 but liked it for what it was trying to do. I liked mass effect 2 but it felt so different in what me 1 was trying to do. me3 just kinda looks like gears with omni stabbing. i dono, i just want more rpg elements in my rpg thats more than choosing to be a dick or less of a dick, cuz being all gray and wishy washy gets you no benefits.
  • yonderTheGreat - March 1, 2012 8:30 a.m.

Never understood the elevator hate. In fact, it makes me think you're mentally challenged. Would you rather have a 30 second loading screen or a 30 second elevator ride containing awesome dialogue that changed depending on who your companions are and potentially uncovers awesome squadmate interactions? Seriously... don't understand this. Sure, they weren't all awesome, by any means, but they're still better than loading screens.
  • TheKraige - March 1, 2012 8:20 a.m.

Honestly you'd rather have a spinning orange thing taking you away from the story than an amusing update or conversation that was the same thing as slow opening doors in other games. Mass Effect 1 felt like a world where I explored and enjoyed how deep the characters where. Mass effect 2 was a series of mission packs and a dating mini game, if you aren't a woman I think you only speak to Garrus 3 times. Everything was checklisted in ME 2 and the best missions by far where the DLC Overlord, Arrival and the Hammerhead missions, I only hope having the Hammerhead from the start in ME3 will allow for a more open world. Hell they could have brought the Mako back and made it a choice between speed an power in it's exploration.
  • ultimatepunchrod - March 1, 2012 8:06 a.m.

I don't remember hating the Mako as much as everyone else. I agree that it was great to hop in there and tear enemies up. I do kind of miss that.
  • FETALJUICE - March 1, 2012 7:56 a.m.

I actually liked the elevator scenes in the first game. It had many hilarious conversations between the teammates *cough*Garrus*cough*. I didn't mind the long ass loading times because of those conversations. It was nice to see the elevators get referenced in Mass Effect 2 lol
  • IChooseUAntistaMON - March 1, 2012 7:05 a.m.

ME1>ME2
  • Kyo - March 1, 2012 7:01 a.m.

I miss the elevtors too. I also missed the feeling of freedom when exploring random planets, etc. ME2 felt too confined in every sense of the word.. This is probably the biggest reason why I'll always like ME1 most of all.
  • iHateFatPeople - April 13, 2012 10:19 a.m.

God, it's ELEVATORS, not 'elevtors' idiot. Kids today, can't spell for sh**.
  • Zaphod Beeblebrox - March 1, 2012 1:50 a.m.

I was a wee bit pissed when I found they had left the looting out of ME 2. I loved the looting in ME 1 and would spend ages trying to find the best combinations of weapons/armour and there various mods. I pray to Zeus's holy beard that they don't try to make ME 3 more action oriented than the last one.
  • AuthorityFigure - March 1, 2012 12:57 a.m.

There's a game called 'Moon Patrol' that lets you live out Moon Patrol fantasies, I believe.
  • DannyMB - March 1, 2012 12:49 a.m.

Its been so long since I played ME1 i wasnt sure if the infinite ammo thing was a weird dream I had. It was a good mechanic, fitted in really well with the rest of the lore.
  • TheLefty - March 1, 2012 12:40 a.m.

I understand the point behind the thermal clips, but I don't understand why they weren't just a way to speed up reloading. If I had the option to by pass cool down by reloading, okay, that makes sense. But to make the gun useless is ridiculous.