• Kethmach - September 10, 2011 12:12 p.m.

By slowly and thoughtfully rolling these ideas out and making sure they're clear and easy for anyone to navigate, Microsoft IS making this an entertainment hub for the living room in ways the PS has failed to do over and over. Sony tried to jump in too fast and fell on it's face again and again. Now that we're seeing how to do it right, again, Sony will come up with a mimic of these features and things will level out again- in about a year (that's typical copy/paste time for Sony).
  • TheoneandonlyPym - September 11, 2011 2:01 a.m.

Not too much so. I don't like the idea of the entertainment hub. Both consoles have slowly started jumping on the bandwagon since a few months after release but faster so since motion control. Both consoles want to reach to an audience wider than gamers by boasting the whole movie renting, the TV compatibility, radio stations, etc. The problem I see with this is that we gamers have to put up with it as well, so I don't see any benefit in this dashboard for me. The other real complaint is that it's optimized for Kinect, which not everyone has. This is a huge detract for me, but thankfully I won't be seeing much of the dashboard when I'm playing a game but I don't like being greeted by it.
  • d0x - September 10, 2011 12:01 p.m.

My only complaint with any of the xbox dash's has been how long it takes to load my game library. Its upwards of a min or more after boot for the list to populate. Now im certain its because I have 100's of live arcade games, indie games, demos, and downloadable full games but still I wish it were quicker because i demand instant gratification. Hopefully this update improves the speed. The last update (or the one before, I cant remember which) did help quite a bit but its still too slow.
  • thelostmc - September 10, 2011 11 a.m.

I'm still trying to get over being blinded by all the fugging white the last update brought. So I take it all the premium themes people bout are going to look useless now too.
  • HaVoK308 - September 10, 2011 10:15 a.m.

Too much Kinect for me. I like NXE, and would rather see it improved. No desire for my dashboard to look like a cell phone.
  • Mhernandez - September 10, 2011 9:13 a.m.

"Wow the new Xbox is really cool.How much is that in the market?"
  • EwoksTasteLikeChicken - September 10, 2011 8:40 a.m.

I thought that last year's update was the last big update...
  • jackthemenace - September 10, 2011 8:20 a.m.

To me, this all sounds completely unnecessary. I mean, what's the point? it all works fine the way it runs now. The only decent update here seems to me to be the achievement sharing, but PSN had that Ages ago.
  • BackwaterRifle - September 10, 2011 11:03 a.m.

Innovation is the point. Keeping up and one Uping everyone is the point. You even just stated "The only decent update here seems to me to be the achievement sharing, but PSN had that Ages ago." So yes, you knew the point all along.
  • d0x - September 10, 2011 12:01 p.m.

You're right, new features and improvements are stupid! Damn you Microsoft stop making things better!
  • RedhawkAce - September 10, 2011 3:27 p.m.

Yeah we as consumers want things to stay the same dammit!!!
  • Kethmach - September 10, 2011 12:15 p.m.

It's completely unnecessary to update and stream line? You don't see the point in navigating your dashboard by just using your voice? Not having to have a controller on at all when you just want to watch a movie or tv? It's not a question of if it works now- it worked with the Blades, then NXE streamlined... now this is refining the experience more. That IS the point. And when did PSN share trophies? I have PSN so this must be some secret thing only you know about??
  • brickman409 - September 10, 2011 8:52 p.m.

DAMMIT JACKTHEMENACE YOU WERENT SUPPOSED TO TELL ANYONE! ... lol no a lot of people know about psn trophys to facebook linking its not a secret you just go to psn then account settings and there should be a facebook link option.
  • mothbanquet - September 10, 2011 6:45 a.m.

So long as the price doesn't go up I've got no real reason to be apprehensive, but then again I only use it to play 2 or 3 games online, the rest of the time to chat to friends. I like the new look, though having to learn my way around yet another dashboard is going to be a drag...
  • mothbanquet - September 10, 2011 6:47 a.m.

Oh, but I heard that it'll have heavy functionality with next year's Windows phone, letting you join parties and converse over your phone. That sounds like an epic idea, though just a little too good to be true - does anyone know if there's any basis to this?
  • TheoneandonlyPym - September 11, 2011 2:03 a.m.

Seems possible, but I don't know of any conformation.
  • Kipper - September 10, 2011 6:17 a.m.

All I really want is to be able to see the bottom half of my premium theme. Though the beacon does sound like a good idea.
  • 13itch007 - September 10, 2011 5:35 a.m.

I wonder when they are going to add an Internet Browser... I mean, Sony has done it, I don't see how Microsoft can't.
  • Kethmach - September 10, 2011 12:17 p.m.

They're not doing internet- ever. They're putting in BING to find things, but not surf the web. Sony put it on the PS3 and it was that lack of filtering and security that lead to the hack. If you open your machine to the internet- you're opening your machine to the world. It's a bad idea and it's really not a feature people demand. It's a very small feature on the PS3 and even smaller on the Wii... so why should MS weaken their security for a feature that isn't in high demand?
  • NeoTechni - September 10, 2011 4:27 p.m.

"Sony put it on the PS3 and it was that lack of filtering and security that lead to the hack" - The web browser had nothing to do with it. "It's a very small feature on the PS3" - Its a huge feature on PS3. We've had features since day 1 that 360 still doesnt have because of it. Enjoy youtube?
  • Kethmach - September 10, 2011 7:41 p.m.

The structure of the PS3 network- internet browsing- had EVERYTHING to do with it! The OPEN ARCHITECTURE of the system that allows it to access the web WAS/IS the cause of the breech! It's not a huge feature and it doesn't matter WHEN it came about- it's got nothing do with it's importance! I'm a PS3 user- and a 360 user- and a Wii user. If you've paid attention to the "what do people use their consoles for" pie charts- INTERNET browsing is like second from the bottom of the list! I'm not saying YOU don't just LOVE sitting there chopping in web addresses on your TV, I'm saying that as a whole- PS3 users don't use their PS3's for web surfing! That's in NO way a slam on PS3 or Sony or Nintendo Wii- it's just a FACT that it's not a big enough demand from gamers for MS to really give a rats @$$ about adding a web browser that would compromise it's security!