Topics

Microsoft WTF

• Crabhand - March 10, 2011 7:25 p.m.

I saw a few friends on XBox Live playing Kinect during the first month or so of it's release, but I have yet to see anyone playing it since then. None of my main group of friends bothered and I still think we made the right choice.
  • asspills - March 10, 2011 7:18 p.m.

Most of my xbox 360 friends bought a kinect, despite me warning them that it won't have any games to play on it, and it'll end up being an expensive dust collector like the Wii was. None of them ever play it. The only person I know over the age of 11 who plays it is my one flamboyant, former hard-core gamer, current soft-core, who always plays Dance Central.
  • Austin_SJ - March 10, 2011 7:16 p.m.

A few days after Kinect came out my friends girlfriend posted on facebook that they had picked one up. Other than that no one I know has one.
  • SteampunkJim - March 10, 2011 7:16 p.m.

@grim08 Gasp! Someone ridiculing gamers as sexless nerds on the internet? Inconceivable! Seriously man, what's next? Are you going to call us all pasty dweebs and tell us to go outside?
  • keltar93 - March 10, 2011 7:11 p.m.

db1331, you nailed what the Wii is perfectly- party games and kickass first-party games. You like it a lot more if you stop expecting PS3/360 style games on it, and enjoy it's good games more. Kinect is only the former, but it's not as novel to the casual as the Wii was, so it doesn't have them interested
  • InFeRnOg - March 10, 2011 7:10 p.m.

PS Move is much better than Wii - I have both. Move actually ruined non-Move FPS console games for me. It is the closest thing you can get to the accuracy of a mouse and keyboard on console IMO. Kinect, in contrast, is not accurate and is extremely limited in its applications to games. I do not forsee it ever being more than a waste of money gimmick.
  • CatrParrot - March 10, 2011 7:09 p.m.

"Since November Kinect has sold as many units as the Dreamcast did in its entire lifespan." Whoa, seriously? That's kind of...depressing.
  • shadowreaper72 - March 10, 2011 7:09 p.m.

And here I thought that the lack of hardcore games would actually hurt sales. How wrong I was!
  • HereComesTheHypeTrainCHOOCHOO - March 10, 2011 7:06 p.m.

It is getting damn hard to buy a 360 without having Kinect bundled with it so I'm guess a good percentage of those SHIPPED Kinects are just people wanting to get a 360 and getting stuck with a Kinect.
  • ashleymenvielle - March 10, 2011 7:05 p.m.

I only know of one person who owns a Kinect, my coworker's bf who used moolah his Mom gave him to buy one on Black Friday. I have not heard anything from her about it being fun for them to play together or even if he, himself, is using it at all since he bought it back in Nov. Meanwhile, my little cousin, who owns every current gaming system as well as a PS2 and Gamecube does not own it and currently has no interest in it. That, to me, is pretty telling as to who the audience of the Kinect is now if he doesn't care about the Kinect bc he would be considered a "hardcore" gamer in that he plays tons of games that are considered hardcore, such as: the COD series, Gears 1 and 2, the Halo series just to name a few. In other words, his PS3 and XBox 360 get used a lot while his Wii is often in need of some love in its sad little corner. SO really why would he want a 2nd waggle centric device, that unlike the Wii, he wouldn't be able to play decently in the game room he is in anyhow? That, coupled with the fact that no games he would be interested in, shooting in the face types, are on it equal him not wanting/not caring abt it. Understandable. As for my own two cents, I personally thought the Kinect looked to be a little too gimicky and much like the Move just a rip off of the Wii. I own a Wii and get tons of use out of it, with games such as: RE4, Okami, Smash bros, Mario and Zelda to name a few favs. I will admit that I am not really the "casual" gamer that the Wii and now the Kinect is aiming to try to capture. I am just as astounded as most that the Kinect has sold so many units considering I only know of one person who actually bought the thing. Perhaps the only explanation is that someone over at Microsoft sold their soul to the devil to increase those sales numbers? ;P Sorry about the long post, just wanted to give as much info as I have on this subject as I could :)
  • Clovin64 - March 10, 2011 7:02 p.m.

I only know one guy who has a Kinect. He comes from a pretty rich family and they bought one for every room in the house. No joke.
  • Omrikon - March 10, 2011 7 p.m.

Sounds a lot like how the PS3 started out: good bit of hype about how sweet the hardware is, but barely any games worth playing with it. Hopefully for its fans, that'll change once they release something that isn't aimed solely at children or social gamers. As for the 1:1 ratio between Kinect and game sales, I'm under the impression that it's largely due to it being sold as a bundle alongside games like Dance Central and Kinectimals. If that's the case though, it basically means that people are not buying other games that feature Kinect functionality.
  • BodyDamage - March 10, 2011 6:53 p.m.

this is completely absurd. i have heard wii talk all over the everywheres. i was standing in line at subway and heard two soccer moms talking about wii bowling in the table behind me. i have not once, heard anyone ever in all of always say one single thing about kincet outside of internet gaming sites. its so very strange.
  • InFeRnOg - March 10, 2011 6:52 p.m.

A Best Buy Kinect-pusher told me how fun it was when it first came out. I replied in as serious a tone as there is: "It is the worst thing in the world". The employee hung his head in shame.
  • NotBraze - March 10, 2011 6:51 p.m.

My parents got Kinect over Christmas and it was a fun novelty, but after that first week I haven't really thought about it since then. However, my sister plays Dance Central pretty frequently and my parents use Your Shape: Fitness Evolved, but other than that no one really thinks about it. As a gadget, it's really cool, and it's fun to say, "wow, that's amazing" but as a practical gaming device it's just not useful yet. There's only one really good game for it and even that gets old pretty fast.
  • may.be.vital - March 10, 2011 6:50 p.m.

I have to say that its quite possibly just a region difference. In Canada at least, and the United States, the sensor is selling huge and a lot of people I know are taking about it. The sales also reflect this: http://123kinect.com/kinect-sales-figures-estimated-1/ At least in the beginning.
  • InFeRnOg - March 10, 2011 6:50 p.m.

@GamesRadarMatthewKeast One of GR's own articles highlighted that this technology is not new at all. Also perhaps you can answer a question for me: if you're watching a movie and a friend is in the room and yells "Stop" - will that stop the movie? What about if a character in the movie yells "stop"?
  • kazimierz3000 - March 10, 2011 6:47 p.m.

I attended a family reunion of sorts not long ago and my uncle mentioned that he just got a Kinect and made a point to let all of my young cousins know this. The funny thing was that nobody wanted to play it. I think the technology is great as do most of my friends, but it doesn't mean it will equate to a wholesome gaming experience that some of us want.
  • GamesRadarMatthewKeast - March 10, 2011 6:43 p.m.

I have a friend who was recently joining the current gen - his last console was a GameCube I think - and he was going to buy a 360. He said he wanted the Kinect. He's a hardcore gamer. I told him that the Kinect doesn't offer anything for him. He went and bought it anyway. He was apparently excited by the new technology. Since there are no good games to play on it (he's not into dance games) he says he likes navigating movies by talking to the 360.
  • TheGeek007 - March 10, 2011 6:42 p.m.

I deliver pizzas, and when the Kinect first came out, I saw no less than 3 houses with people using Kinect. They all had children, and they seemed to be having good fun. The #1 game they were playing? Bowling. Yeah, the Wii doesn't have that right? Fast forward to now. I have yet to see another Kinect being used, nor see one on anyones TV. I strongly believe that they got bought by soccer moms for their kids, kids got bored with it and went back to their NDS and Wii.