• cracker33 - November 10, 2010 2:19 a.m.

This article is freaking awesome! Double Dragon is freaking amazing!
  • CancerMan - November 10, 2010 1:51 a.m.

Loved the movie and took five friends who had barely seen Expendables and would not have seen Scott Pilgrim of their own accord. They thought it was "alright" (Expendables was "badass". Ugh).
  • Romination - November 10, 2010 1:45 a.m.

Yes, a NES and SNES in the background shows that the movie knows that it's talking about. Never mind that every movie to show people playing games tends to show what they're playing. And the "T for Teen" totally makes sense and I now understand her character better because of it. Some of these seem like stretches- like the hammer. As if no game has ever put in a hammer since Donkey Kong. Of course this movie is pandering! Does that take away from it? Not too much, if you're into games. But otherwise, of course the movie failed. It had a specific audience. They went to see it. They weren't enough. This movie will eventually grow and have a weird following, but it's a) not going to make its money back and 2) not going to spawn a cultural zeitgeist of some kind, especially since the characters and story aren't too great. The fights are so good though.. oh man... Those are what made it a good movie.
  • ninjaemperor - November 10, 2010 1:44 a.m.

Edardqfgsgfgc, goddamnit I love Scott Pilgrim so much. I was at the Toronto screening on Friday, in a packed theatre of 800 screaming people. It was the greatest atmosphere I've ever experienced.
  • Haikufrenzy - November 10, 2010 1:44 a.m.

It's like I told one of my friends who didn't want to watch it solely because Michael Cera is in it. "Your going to be the reason movies like Scott Pilgrim aren't made, and shit like Vampires Sucks will. Your part of the problem."
  • AlpineGuy - November 10, 2010 1:43 a.m.

I personally loved how the movie used the "Continue?" sound effect twice to represent continuing a relationship (Ramona) or breaking it off (Knives). Soooo many good (and faithful!) game references that I missed in here. Anyway, this is a pretty exhaustive list, Chris. A winner is you! (Oh, and just so you know, I remember the double-reference you closed the article with, as well as my address. Juuuuust saying...)
  • Tenfey - November 10, 2010 1:41 a.m.

Scott Pilgrim was the only movie I saw in theaters this year, a decision I do not regret. It tickled my fancy immensely.
  • bass88 - November 10, 2010 1:41 a.m.

I actually enjoyed watching The Expendables the second and third time, Guillermo Del Toro. There was no whiny one-note acting or self congratulatory references to spoil the fun. Also, if I want a fun video-game inspired movie I'll put on Crank. Actually, in all seriousness, I did want to watch this (love Edgar Wright's work) but no cinema near me was showing it (the "hipper-than-thou" marketing strategy didn't exactly endear itself to the masses, did it). I will be buying the BluRay. I hate Cera as well but friends keep telling me his acting has way improved with this one. Then again, they told me the same about Juno, Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist, Superbad, and Youth In Revolt. I'm surprised they can remember to chew food considering how quick they forget about his acting. I need better friends.
  • shyfonzie - November 10, 2010 1:39 a.m.

SWEET ARTICLE DUDE BD
  • HardMetalManiac - November 10, 2010 1:21 a.m.

Wasn't the noise when Scott Pilgrim "gets it" the zone cleared sound effect from Sonic 2?
  • BigLandoz - November 10, 2010 1:20 a.m.

I watched Arrested Development from the beginning. I can't believe I missed that Roxy played Egg...err Ann.
  • AdonisX82 - November 10, 2010 1:14 a.m.

CLash at demonhead is the shizz. I still rock that $h1t to this day.
  • F4G1TR0N - November 10, 2010 1:08 a.m.

Man! I would have this movie on blu ray right now, but the freaking City of Davis DID NOT stock it.. why davis.. why?
  • EnragedTortoise1 - November 10, 2010 1:08 a.m.

I saw this movie twice- you might say I inserted a coin and hit "Continue"? :P
  • BoondockSaint54 - November 10, 2010 1 a.m.

Nice article Chris. I didn't get some of the these the first time around.
  • G0D - November 10, 2010 12:55 a.m.

Excellent- I just got informed
  • magic_muffin_man - November 10, 2010 12:55 a.m.

Oh, also, super nerd correction, but I found out today that the "G-man" reference isn't a Half-Life reference, but rather, a Beyond The Valley of the Dolls reference: the villain in that movie (Who was a lot like Gideon) was commonly referred to as "The Z-Man", so he called Gideon "The G-man". Since I think I read somewhere he hasn't played a VG since the N64 era, he probably wasn't aware of the G-Man as a VG character. Straight from the horse's mouth: http://io9.com/5685723/10-must+watch-movies-that-influenced-scott-pilgrim
  • BodyDamage - November 10, 2010 12:51 a.m.

I didnt realize how many of these i missed. saw it 4 times in theaters, tied with anchorman for my most paid-for theater views record. seeing all of these makes me love it even more, its like there isnt a single second of this movie thats not a wonderful reference, and i love them all
  • NightCrawler_358 - November 10, 2010 12:51 a.m.

Amazing work! I only noticed about half of these! But i think the Pee Bar bit was more of an obvious Sims reference... Still this is great, and the cane pogo jump gave me a good laugh.
  • batmanboy11 - November 10, 2010 12:49 a.m.

The amount of effort involved in this article is astounding! Great work, Chris!