• slimjim441 - June 15, 2010 8:54 p.m.

The only good thing I've seen come from motion control is the 'point and click' style of aiming used in Metroid Primes and The Conduit. EVERYTHING else isn't really that useful or just not necessary. Now Microsoft is falling in the same pit as Nintendo. The problem is, Nintendo can survive down there, Microsoft can't. reCAPTCHA: men groggy (you bet your ass we are)
  • Doctalen - June 15, 2010 8:50 p.m.

I knew this would fail. Then again it was like predicting the sun would disappear from the sky and reappear a few hours later. P.S. Does anyone else pronounce Project Natal, project Natalie, or am I the only one?
  • sean_renz - June 15, 2010 8:36 p.m.

With out the advancement of technology your games will never get better. Gameboy make good games portable, N64 nintendo adds a thumb stick, PS2 adds Eyetoy. Small steps lead to better things. If you don't like the games right now wait and see what will come out of the technology before you write it off.
  • 2Girls1CupOfSorrow - June 15, 2010 8:31 p.m.

I never gave a shit about motion controls for precisely these reasons. That Wii is only hooked up to my TV for those Mario and Zelda exclusives that are so few and far between. This tech is so asshole-ish.
  • shyfonzie - June 15, 2010 8:31 p.m.

Oh, THAT's how Kinect works: Magic.
  • kcypher2000 - June 15, 2010 7:50 p.m.

Wow this site once again proves its lack of professional journalism with this half baked article. Half the effort by pressing the A button? Well if you are watching a movie or just using your xbox for net flix you have to go get your controller, turn it on, then maneuver to what you want and press several A buttons. Then you waste batteries while you leave the controller by your sofa while watching the movie and have to turn it back on if you want to pause it. i know you are hating anything motion controller related because it is the "cool" thing to do but next time try to make real arguments beyond "its easier to press A." I bet you thought touch screen would fail too.
  • GodofPS314 - June 15, 2010 6:44 p.m.

Yes seriously I have PS3 and Wii call me a fanboy but this is stupid as shit. Let the wii do what it does. Xbox keep doing what you do. Same with PS3 Move looks like a piece of shit. God damn just keep making cool games and shut the hell up about how cool saying shit and waving is you retards, this is the gaming indstry not the excercise equipment industry.
  • batouyukinawa - June 15, 2010 6:33 p.m.

It's the games. Natal could be for the hardcore, if someone would fucking make one game that utilized it's potential. Like, how fun (albeit, strange to onlookers) to dive behind a couch or coffee table to take cover. Or reaching out to open a door. I think the problem is devs are trying to build their games as if they are controlled with controllers, which really doesn't turn out well. If devs got smart and inventive, they could possible create new genres with these controls. I think it's just so early, it will take time to fully realize what they really have. It's like taking the NES two button combo and suddenly handing them a PS2 controller. They wouldn't have a clue what to do with it.
  • hardcore_gamer1990 - June 15, 2010 6:24 p.m.

Perfect analysis. :D ReCaptcha: The Shadow - Ummm... Darren Shan books anyone? Death is my ReCaptcha phrase D:
  • Stahlbrand - June 15, 2010 6:02 p.m.

People are acting surprised? WTF did you expect from motion control garbage -- particularly at the launch of the new tech? pffft. This kinect stuff isn't for us, and it never was going to be. I bet your mom would love the stupid gesture menus, and that is the point - sell more consoles to non-gamers. Its business, its not aimed at us, and we might as well just ignore it and thank satan that at least on the MS and Sony platforms, 90% of releases are actually real games.
  • Mexiflan - June 15, 2010 5:56 p.m.

Dave H,i salute you,for telling it how it is.
  • taterboob - June 15, 2010 5:53 p.m.

It's apparent that Kinect isn't for the majority of us (myself included). I've got to say, though, that Kinect does appear to be a more financially sound purchase for a family. My sister has four kids and, comparing the costs of the separate wii remotes, Wii motion pluses, and nunchuks, Kinect looks like a simpler, cheaper alternative for her family. In regards to Microsoft pursuing that tasty, tasty casual market money, I think that they've beaten Nintendo at their own game. As far as making Kinect games for actual gamers...not so much.
  • V13Dragongal - June 15, 2010 5:35 p.m.

Poor, poor microsoft...
  • InFeRnOg - June 15, 2010 4:56 p.m.

Traditional controller / mouse / keyboard / buttons makes sense because it WORKS. That is the point of this article. Kinect does NOT WORK AS WELL as the traditional interactive methods. If I wanted to dance around or wave my limbs around pretending to be kicking a ball I would just use my imagination or, as this article rightfully points out, I would just go dancing with people or kick a ball around. If Kinect succeeds I will have lost faith in humanity.
  • totalweapon - June 15, 2010 4:46 p.m.

the most pointless piece of tech i think i have ever seen.
  • sethorian - June 15, 2010 4:33 p.m.

Hm, interesting read, but I entirely disagree and in fact I can't really understand all the hating going on about Kinect. Of course traditional controler / mouse / keyboard input is the way of user interaction that seems to make most sense because everyone has grown up with that. If you could turn on the lights by snapping your fingers, no one would use buttons, so your example is a bit off. Yes, Microsoft failed to show impressive games this year, but seen in a greater scale, Kinect is an enormous achievement which will make Human/Machine interaction much easier (eg for disabled people).
  • krabsich - June 15, 2010 4:07 p.m.

Clap on. Clap off. Clap on, clap off... the clapper.
  • garnsr - June 15, 2010 3:58 p.m.

The Hawaii morning news just showed a piece about the Kinect, how it will "revolutionize gaming," and they were very impressed, and my girlfriend was impressed. It makes me sad. Microsoft must not be so totally way off, if the unwashed masses fall for it, that's all MS needs.
  • SoFocused - June 15, 2010 3:49 p.m.

Some good points, but also some points that you actually are/could be completely wrong on. In a world where Guitar Hero, Wii Fit, and Dance Dance Revolution exists, why would you question whether people would rather go outside to do certain things? I know I certainly don't want to pay a monthly fee to do yoga, when I can practice yoga at home for 60 dollars. I already do a lot of exercise at home, and an exercise game would actually motivate me a lot more than going to the gym by myself would. Also, I don't think anyone really thinks these games would replace any normal functions of life. I would instead consider these additions, as they add on to things I can do at home already for fun. Using Kinect to learn dance moves before going out to a club, is very interesting to me at least.
  • Ensoul - June 15, 2010 3:44 p.m.

Natal/Kinetic really needs Seaman, or something Seamen-esque. It's the only way I'd even consider buying one.