• ObliqueZombie - August 13, 2013 11:23 a.m.

It definitely makes me more interested, but being with the 360 since 2007 and then recently acquiring a PS3 a few weeks ago, Sony is simply a better (AAA) game publisher/developer/console maker. They're more friendly, offer more deals, and all around me me feel more... Liked? I don't know, but after years of passive agrresive Gold tactics and a plethora of shitty ads leaves a bad taste in my mouth for Microsoft. I'll stick with Microsoft on the PC end of things. I much prefer them there.
  • Appocolypse - August 13, 2013 11:26 p.m.

I could not agree more with your comments, 100% spot on man. Why reward a company for admission of failure and plagiarism basically. It's almost like a reverse psychology marketing scheme or something. Make them hate you, then flip flop every thing they hate and expect them to come out in droves. The only problem there is you also broke our trust. See, you told us that Kinect was necessary for Xbox One to work at a hardware level. That it would be impossible for the One to work without the Kinect. Turns out that wasn't true. Same went for the 24 hour check ins and the used game policies and the family sharing policy and more TV less games and the self publishing and everything else you have gone back on. What you will never in a million years no matter how much you beg, no matter how many 180's you pull, no matter how many rules and policies you reverse be able to make up for to me was the insult and the arrogance you displayed when you said, "No Internet? We have the perfect thing for you! It's called the Xbox 360!" As if people who decided to live in areas who either A) did not have high speed Internet (newsflash, they still exist), B) could not afford high speed Internet but could maybe save the money for something special like say, an Xbox One, or C) HAD THE NERVE TO SERVE IN OUR ARMED FORCES... Sorry, have military family so that one got me especially. Well anyway, it was like MS basically telling them all that they didn't deserve the next generation. As an avid gamer, I have owned every Sony console released except Vita and also the 360 as well. I swore when I bought the 360 I would never pay to play online. When PS+ came out it was such a huge value, you were almost stupid not to get it. So paying for PS+ is fine with me as I already do. For me the answer is clear, Sony earned my trust and my business. Microsoft spat in my face and arrogantly laughed about it. I will probably never buy another MS ever. I may even learn Linux that's how pissed I am, but that might be going too far, lol.
  • kpnut - August 13, 2013 10:42 a.m.

The only reason I got a 360 was down to two factors: 1) price, the 360 was the cheaper console at the time. 2) exclusive (that's right the singular) I got the 360 almost entirely because of Fable 2 (that series has really gone downhill so I won't be getting any more) So since the PS4 is the cheaper console (for now) and exclusives don't matter (I only bought 2 console exclusives for the 360: Halo 3 and Fable 2) I'll be getting that, also it's looking as if the PS4 has a better service (or whatever you call it) since Live has gotten to be a bit annoying. Also the Xbone made a bad first impression (and that impression is the one that counts) and even though Microsoft did make some massive u-turns I had made my mind up when they first announced what they intended to force on us with the Xbone. So yeah these are the 3 points influencing my choice: 1) Price 2) Online Service 3) First impressions Now point 1 may become moot if MS releases a console only Xbone package, but the PS4 still has two points to the Xbone's none.
  • FoxdenRacing - August 13, 2013 10:30 a.m.

I'm sure the moves will lure back a few gamers...the guys that wanted to like it, but just couldn't force themselves to. My suspicion though is that they've lost a lot of customers that they won't win back easily, if at all (myself included). Even though I understand the thought process that went into it...save the games for the gaming convention...a reveal is a first impression, and the first impression they gave was 'games don't matter; we're the best thing to happen to TV since cable boxes, baby!'. The policies...they might've been workable for specific spots of the country, for a specific subset of customers: The man-cave dwelling, "rabid entertainment consumer" techie. The kind of guy that gets all their entertainment in one room [thanks to EighBoll for pointing out in another article's comments how dumb the DRM was on a box that wants to replace cable boxes...something that you may have several of in the same house], never travels with their gadgets, never has to share their gadgets [Tablets are great sources of entertainment for wives/housemates/etc when the TV is being 'hogged' for games, MS insists that the gamer gets to hog the TV *and* the tablet], lives in an area where state-of-the-art-at-least-for-the-USA broadband is not only available, but a high enough priority to be purchased. For everyone else, anywhere else, the policies were a disaster...and we've seen MS struggle to contain that damage, to spin onerous restrictions as 'more freedom than ever', to stuff the man back behind the curtain and hide that one of their most important customers now is advertisers. The past few months have either been the biggest blunder in modern console history, or a carefully-calculated negotiation stunt [offer something awful, then slowly whittle back to where you wanted to be all along to make the plebes feel like their voice matters] gone horribly awry. For me specifically? Still not interested. No matter what the reality is...so out of touch they didn't realize they'd see blowback, or deviously-crafted strategy not going according to plan...Microsoft has managed to expunge the One of almost everything I object to. There is, however, one issue they'll never be able to rectify: The system being made by a company that considered these things a good idea in the first place.
  • Cyberninja - August 13, 2013 10:01 a.m.

I already have my Wiiu and always planned on getting a PS4 at some point, so the xbox shift doesn't effect me at all so its just whatever, good for whoever wants it I guess, but they should be mindful of the things Microsoft can and will do in the future with their console.
  • BladedFalcon - August 13, 2013 9:02 a.m.

Well, like I've mentioned plenty of times in the past, I have no intention of buying either console at launch anyway, and probably 1 or 2 years down the line. So we'll see by then. However, at least now getting an Xbone seems like a possibility whereas before I would straight up never get one as long as it had that used game restriction and kinect bullshit. Basically, it's gonna come down to who has more and better games in these 2 next years. But I'm still leaning towards PS4 mainly because of Microsoft's poor 1st party catalog as demonstrated by the last 3-4 years.
  • FoxdenRacing - August 13, 2013 10:33 a.m.

I'm still not interested; they can change policy all they want, but at the end of the day it's still made by a company that thought those things were a good idea in the first place. Or are treating it all as a sleazy negotiation...put something terrible on the table, then walk it back so the other guy [in this case, gamers] think they're getting concessions when they're really giving up more than they would have otherwise, which is even worse.
  • BladedFalcon - August 13, 2013 12:36 p.m.

Eh, if I stopped playing or buying stuff from companies that did something horrible or took offense to, I wouldn't be gaming anymore :P When buying something, i operate based on what appeals to me the most and it's best at the moment of buying, regardless of past actions. If Microsoft in two years managed to make the Xbone to be more appealing and have the better selection of games, then why should I deprive myself of that? Again, let's remember that all of the three main companies have done HORRIBLE business decisions, many of which spit right in the face of the customer. So yes, even though Microsoft has handled this whole thing horribly, if they make a good comeback, they deserve the same chance from me as I gave Sony when I bought a PS3 back in 2010 despite their horrible PS3 launch. And i keep buying Nintendo portables despite their unappealing consoles.
  • FoxdenRacing - August 13, 2013 1:06 p.m.

Absolutely, you've gotta forgive eventually or you'll very quickly run out of places to play. I normally operate on the 'each new generation is a clean slate' mindset, though a system with a bunch of must-haves will get picked up later to see what I missed. Sony lost me with PS3, but I'm not holding that against them for PS4. MS is losing me for the things they've done with One, but I'm not going to hold it against them for Two. Each system has to stand on its own merits, and will be cut down by its own flaws. It's not fair any other way.
  • BladedFalcon - August 13, 2013 3:40 p.m.

Eh, even that kind of mindset makes you miss out on good stuff, if you ask me. Honestly, PS3 is a really good system to own, specially now, had I not picked it on 2010 when my 360 broke, I would have bought one by now anyways just because of the exclusives, honestly. If the same thing were to happen with the Xbone? then yeah, I'd also buy it eventually.
  • FoxdenRacing - August 13, 2013 3:59 p.m.

The only real regret I have with going back later to see what I've missed [Speaking of PS3, I'm in the market for one] is when game-makers decide on cramming 'You had to be there' stuff in. Generally it doesn't matter as I'm not a huge fan of what multiplayer's become, but every now and then there's a game I wish I could've gotten into the multiplayer for. Blur, for example. It's something WoW did well [supported old versions even after the expansions released], but others really haven't. Tracking down the more rare stuff...eh, I'm patient.
  • Sy87 - August 13, 2013 10:55 a.m.

My same mindset. I hated getting screwed for buying the 360 early as new versions with better motherboards came out. So I am waiting to for that reason. I'm glad that Microsoft changed but I lost a little bit of trust from them.
  • thomas1980 - August 13, 2013 8:59 a.m.

Trouble is MS has shown it's intent. It didn't get away with it this time, but I highly doubt they don't still want to remove our ownership of our games. I'm almost sure they will try their hardest to bring this in the back door via subtle changes over time, a small policy update here, one there and we are back to square one. Even in the reversal policy MS states it can change it's policies again at any time for what ever reason they see fit. I don't want to send hundreds of pounds on hardware and software, basically tying me into the xbox ecosystem for them to turn it into something unpalatable again. I already decided I wasn't getting a Xbone at launch purely because MS fucked me over the 360, it was shitty hardware, the xbone will have to prove it's better over a good couple of years before I'll consider it. I also get annoyed over stupid things being behind the paywall. I don't play MP so it doesn't bother me for that, but why does Youtube have to be a paid service? It's free on Youtube's end and it isn't using MS's servers, so why is it a paid for feature? The only answer is to make gold accounts look like good value, it's a con and shows MS to be very dishonest in it's business practices. I'll probably get all the consoles in a few years, I always do, but the xbone will be after years and a price cut and used for exclusives only. MS brought this on themselves, not only with what they tried to do, but with what they still view as acceptable business practices. I'm getting a PS4 at launch, and all multiplats will be bought for that. For the sake of a little nickel and diming MS has literally lost thousands and thousands of pounds from me.
  • Mattdawarrior - August 13, 2013 8:50 a.m.

Now, they've got it back to what we want. A gaming console for the masses. Well, excuse me, a console for the masses. They still have yet to show a single game that should persuade any gamer (outside of Halo fans, mind) to purchase their system over the PS4. Not that the PS4 has a colossal launch line up, it just has more recognizable IPs with a solid history of quality. GAMES, Microsoft! We're in it for the games!
  • usmovers_02 - August 13, 2013 9:05 a.m.

Forza 5 is a huge deal for racing fans. Dead Rising 3 looks good but I'm skeptical. Project Spark looks amazing but I really dislike the cartoony style. The point being that overall the game lineups are about even. Sure some people are only going to be drawn to one lineup or the other (for an instance I find the Sony lineup uninteresting) but both consoles have very solid looking AAA games.
  • dillman502 - August 13, 2013 2:32 p.m.

I feel they dropped the ball on Halo 4 so I'm not even interested in Halo 5. The only exclusive that really interested me at E3 was Titanfall, but that's coming to the PC so I'll just get it for that. Sony is doing really well in terms of exclusives, they have a good amount of new and established IPs, though not all of them are launch titles.
  • PolarBearsInHeat - August 13, 2013 8:47 a.m.

Meh, I'll pick one up in 2018, no point in getting it this early.
  • Errrrbo - August 13, 2013 8:25 a.m.

Even before the Xbox One was announed, I had decided to go with PS4. I've hated Microsoft's handling of the 360 in recent years. The dashboard gets worse and worse with more ads, their "sales" are pathetic compared to PS Plus and Steam, and almost all of their exclusive franchises are shooters. It's good that Xbox One reversed its terrible policies, but for me, the fact that they actually tried to thrust this garbage on consumers makes me not trust them. I'm sticking with PS4.
  • Pruman - August 13, 2013 2:13 p.m.

Right on. I've been pissed at Microsoft ever since they forced the not-Metro interface on the 360 and then updated it to be able to show more ads. With almost every other internet service, you pay to get rid of the ads, but Microsoft would rather exploit their 40+ million subscribers for money than deliver a pleasant or useful UI experience. I truly believe that they added more pointless menus because screwing around in 5 layers of the dashboard to find what you actually want means 5 more chances to show you 5 different ads. Ever since that update, their intent is clear. If you like using your game machine to, I dunno, PLAY GAMES, Microsoft could care less about you. If you want to mindlessly click ads, watch movies, dick around on social services, or buy music, on the other hand... This attitude was only reinforced with the disastrous reveal of the XBONE, which confirmed my suspicion that games would be taking second fiddle to Microsoft's dream of having their own iTunes. Well no thanks, Microsoft. I'm a gamer, and if I feel like doing any of that other stuff, I'll do it on anything BUT my XBOX. To punish them for this, I've transitioned my PS3 into the house's Netflix platform (my wife protested at first, but now she likes using it with my Blu-ray remote better) and changed the 360 system settings to boot directly into the disc. I want my system to go to the dash only when it absolutely has to. The hope is that my machine now gives them zero ad impressions when I use it, when in the past it might have given 20-30 a day. If they announced that the XBONE would only show advertisements when you were actively in a "store" section, I MIGHT get on board. Even then it would still be a hard sell, because they have no credibility with me. I think that as soon as they get the installed base, they'll bring back everything people were complaining about.