• Nighthorns - August 31, 2011 5:14 p.m.

I'm sorry, but if every african american character in the game talked exactly like every Caucasian person in the game Deus Ex would be accused to trying to white-wash and rid african american's of their culture. It's a no win situation and honestly accusations of racism when they are VERY clearly not intended are getting out of hand. Causing a huge stink over every little thing does little for blurring the lines between races and in fact only highlights racial differences encouraging distinction and stereotyping.
  • dpjfilmmaker - August 31, 2011 5:30 p.m.

Talking like a slave is a part of African-Amierican's culture? really? is that how you identify poor African-American people? it's not about every African-American talking "White" it's about this one character talking like a slave circa 1827. NO OTHER AFRICAN-AMERICAN character in this game spoke like her. that's why it's jarring. And she's the one with the most information so if anything she should be smarter than the rest! Again, i would not call Square Enix racist, just ignorant.
  • CrashmanX - August 31, 2011 5:13 p.m.

1 person = RACIST! If you ask me, the people who call this "racist" are the ones who are being racist. I saw it as a person who lived in poverty. I guess the world thinks only white people can live in poverty. Also screw politically correct.
  • CrashmanX - August 31, 2011 5:11 p.m.

1 Person = Racist. Thank you community. Thank you for being racist yourself.
  • CrashmanX - August 31, 2011 5:15 p.m.

can someone delete this one? Forgot the new system puts new posts on top.
  • bigwill1221 - August 31, 2011 5:05 p.m.

Racism is still a word in the human dictionary? what
  • spencertucksen - August 31, 2011 10:49 p.m.

There's a human dictionary? I need to get me one of those!
  • greenchicken120 - August 31, 2011 5 p.m.

I don't think it was racist at all. She is a woman in poverty and I think they did their best to try and convey how she would speak taking into account the amount of education she has. This is in no way representative of African Americans as a whole, whether it be now or in the future. In my opinion they definitely could have tried a little harder, this sounds clumsy.
  • sonicskateboard - August 31, 2011 4:56 p.m.

I don't think it's racist. She's just doing an accent and I don't think it's far off from how some people sound. I don't think it's supposed to be indicative of any race or cast them in a negative light.
  • ThatFanInThePeacoat - August 31, 2011 4:56 p.m.

I haven't played Deus Ex. YET. But I'm willing to bet that not all of the black/African characters act like that. Had that been the case, then these claims would be more realistic.
  • FOZ - August 31, 2011 4:53 p.m.

This isn't even worth addressing. People are so sensitive about this issue just to have something to discuss. It's not racism. Stereotyping is not racism, and I don't know if this even is stereotyping, because not every black person in the game talks like that. It's nothing. It's just a character with an obnoxious manner of speaking.
  • EvidentDead - August 31, 2011 4:52 p.m.

LOL.
  • onetimebuster - August 31, 2011 4:49 p.m.

When i played the game i did not find this to be racist at all and i still dont.