• Skeletortilla - August 24, 2011 8:14 p.m.

I think this is what it took to get me to join the rest of the internet and start hating Gamestop. Seriously, Walmart doesn't open copies of all the DVDs and Blurays that have digital downloads for iTunes of Vudu and remove those, even though Walmart has a digital distribution system of its own. What is wrong with the game industry that makes them think they're so damn special? You have crap like this and then there's the whole bit about this being the only industry that can't seem to cope with the secondary market. Not only that, it's the only one I can think of where there is a rabid segment of the consumer population who will argue vehemently that used games shouldn't be sold. The only rationale I can think of at this point to explain how entitled the games industry seems to be is that the people running the business side of gaming are really, really bad at being businesspeople.
  • practicallyhitler - August 24, 2011 9:55 p.m.

Hey man, not sure if the 'used games' part of your comment was a response to mine, but just in case, please let me clarify: I LOVE buying and selling used games. I do it all the time on Amazon and Half.com. What I have a problem with is the ridiculous cut GameStop (and more recently Best Buy and Target) takes from each used game they sell (usually somewhere b/t 50-70%). Selling a game you paid for is one thing, but "trading" it for $15 (in store credit) to someone who will resell it for $50 is plain stupid. It screws you, developers, and other gamers. PLEASE be a smarter consumer and keep that money in the hands of people who at least give an F about the medium.
  • Skeletortilla - August 25, 2011 1:19 p.m.

No, I was actually talking about the pretentious, pseudo-intellectual types that hang around on the 1up boards or other places where it's en vogue to equate used game sales to piracy. That's a load of crap. If I sold my Neon used, is that the equivalent of stealing it from Dodge Chrysler? THOSE are the people I was referring to.
  • D0CCON - August 24, 2011 7:57 p.m.

Note to self: if I end up buying a boxed copy of the game (read: not buying it from Steam), I'll make sure to do it at Target.
  • lilspooky - August 24, 2011 7:31 p.m.

Q: Who buys PC games at Gamestop??? A: NO ONE! I saw star trek online the other day at gamestop for $60!! Its online for $14 dollars! Psssssss. PC Gamers hate you gamestop....
  • normalguy417 - August 24, 2011 7:29 p.m.

I can't wait until their obsolete business goes under. No I don't want to preorder anything, nor do I care for Gameinformer...jerks
  • practicallyhitler - August 24, 2011 7:19 p.m.

If their used-game racket wasn't enough to turn off customers, this should definitely do the trick. Great Job!
  • Zatunks - August 24, 2011 6:57 p.m.

This is why I won't buy any games "new" at GameStop unless I'm getting an outrageous deal. I'm not going to pay full retail price for an opened game that may not even contain all of its original materials.
  • TheGreatWeskby - August 24, 2011 7:22 p.m.

I totally agree
  • maxmorrow - August 24, 2011 6:45 p.m.

Wow.Class act, GStop.
  • DaveTheBouncer - August 24, 2011 6:34 p.m.

Nothing like pulling the game the week of its release to avoid promoting a service, for which they don't yet have their own competing service up. The gamers will surely wait for GS to refill inventory.
  • LeSieg - August 24, 2011 6:28 p.m.

I'll go to my local Gamestop and ask for a copy tomorrow, just to see what happens.
  • InvasivePlague - August 24, 2011 6:27 p.m.

Gamestop has some splaining to do.
  • snothammer - August 24, 2011 6:21 p.m.

Glad Gamestop could be bastards about this. Hopefully potential customers will say, "Oh well, I'll just head over to OtherStorePlace (or wherever) across the street and pick up a copy".
  • Crabhand - August 24, 2011 6:21 p.m.

Well this is certainly interesting. Gamestop is actually /cheating/ it's customers?
  • Hydr0ponicK - August 24, 2011 7:12 p.m.

I'm in total shock.....
  • FPL4293 - August 24, 2011 8:10 p.m.

Ha If they didnt already cheat its customers with BS reward cards, preorders and selling used games then no not at all!