Topics

Dead Space

• BladedFalcon - May 8, 2012 3:33 p.m.

Asking for more frights and horror, and then asking for co-op is quite the Oxymoron. Also, I disagree with the idea that shoving more monsters bursting off walls would actually make the game scarier, it would actually make it less so by making such moments more commonplace. Want to make the game scary? have less insane powerful weapons and monsters, and have more resource management and psychological horror. The main reason why Dead Space hasn't really done anything more than getting me tense, it's because I never really feel vulnerable, not with a sawblade that can chop off the limbs of anything that comes my way in seconds. And the franchise's never been too subtle with their attempts at horror, so that makes it less scary. In short, make it less like resident evil, and more like eternal darkness, or Fatal Frame.
  • metroid2099400 - May 8, 2012 7:29 p.m.

I completely agree about the weapons. Before the first game came out, Visceral was very proud of the fact that you'd be scrounging around with mining tools to survive, and while that idea gave us some really cool weapons, (contact beam, force gun) they weren't really improvised. I'd like to see the next game force us to rely on melee attacks more, since increased proximity to the necromorphs always had me freaking out, while I was perfectly calm picking off limbs with my plasma cutter.
  • Dadyo238 - May 8, 2012 3:19 p.m.

I want more of a story, more than what's happening to Isaac. Andcif they could fit in some twists on the level of Bioshock's "Would you kindly?", all the better.
  • robotdickens - May 8, 2012 2:17 p.m.

I think it would be cool if you could customize clothing. I really hate how in a game something that looks badass is less powerful than something that looks stupid.
  • Estacado - May 8, 2012 1:54 p.m.

NO Co Op or multiplayer, more horror, no Wii U because DS is M
  • Estacado - May 8, 2012 1:55 p.m.

more psychological thriller
  • gazzc - May 8, 2012 1:38 p.m.

I would like to see more horrific things, make it much more evil a bit more like doom or something with gutted bodies hanging from the roof, rooms covered in rotting flesh. Some really freaky twisted stuff that will shock people. I have not played the second game but the first one always reminded me of Event Horizon but the game never creeped me out like the movie did, if they could make the whole game much darker and evil it would be a great horror game.
  • bhaywardio - May 8, 2012 12:28 p.m.

rumors also stated that not only will it be on a frozen theatre- that Isaac's sanity will have split completely in 2. That he will experience a split personality. It would be great if as a player, you would have to sometimes take the word of your split personality. Even make a segment where you think your killing a bunch of necromorphs, but when you come back later it was a bunch of survivors. just something that, doesn't make us lose our love for isaac, but maybe jeopardize the humanity of him. He has only known fighting these things for how many years now, i woulnt be surprised if he started resorting to some pretty nasty stuff. i loved dead space 2 (have played through it several times), and found that the scariest moments were not set in stone by them, it was when i had 1 small medpack left and a wall of necromorphs to fight through. just when you think your safe in a room, a bigger one flies through the vents and latches on. they have a great formula for that right now, but i agree they should bend the rules a little. i agree with the above poster that co-op may ruin the scary experience. but then, it was mentioned that this would sort of be prequel missions, which would be more action set. that i do not mind. sometimes, its fun to experience a horror...but othertimes i just want to feel like a total bad ass and murder all of them! they better do a good job with this game- its one of my favorite series. right up there with mass effect, metroid, and elder scrolls.
  • asspills - May 8, 2012 12:12 p.m.

Co Op and Armor customization please. Ideally, so that each player can customize their suit to different play styles and have two different roles. 1 big brute to take damage and kamikaze close range, one dude with explosives and precision weapons to run around and kill stuff. Also, if destructible environments do make it in I'd love to see some sort of "base defense" type mode. Build barriers, hole up.. This game would lend itself well to COD Zombies style survival mode aswell. Zero G escape route anyone?
  • TheIronMaiden - May 8, 2012 11:47 a.m.

First game was great. The environment around me and the audio really helped up the scare factor. Although no more jump scenes. They're predictable and as somebody said before; startling but not scary. I miss Fatal Frame....
  • GhostbustTyler - May 8, 2012 11:34 a.m.

I want it to actually be scary. Much like the Fear series, it's just a shooter that has things popping out at you once in a while which isn't scary, it's just startling. It also requires you to be looking in a specific direction to deliver pop out startles. Most of the time during Dead Space 2, I'm miss some of the "scares" because I was looking in another direction finding ammo. This is something that everyone confuses; real horror builds tension around you so that your mind does most of the work of putting you in dread, startling is something popping out at you all of a sudden. Also, make us see less of necromorphs initially. The less you see of them, the scarier they become. Look at Amnesia for example; it's a long time before you see a monster but when you do it's terrifying. I'll admit, the beginning minutes of Dead Space 2 were good and got me on the edge of my seat, but it wasn't really scary. Another thing to go with this is to redesign how necromorphs look. We've all seen the the standard Rippers countless times so we know what to expect. A good way of taking that away is to change how they look, move, and operate. Overall, if it's more of the same from Dead Space 2, I won't buy it because better third person shooters and actual horror games will be out. It's a shame that people think that these are the best horror games out there when games such as Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Penumbra: Black Plague that are actual horror games and are way better than this series.
  • RedHarlow - May 8, 2012 11:20 a.m.

NO multiplayer. I think we can all agree DS2 multiplay was pretty much dead on arrival. More horror - DS2 threw out a lot of horror in favor of action sequences. More grossness - that's what makes Dead Space is the grossness of the monsters and the environments
  • BadLadJon - May 8, 2012 11:14 a.m.

considering dead space wasnt in your top 100 games.. i dont think you deserve the right o make dead space articles :P
  • patbateman17 - May 8, 2012 11:12 a.m.

I would be extremely happy if the twist at the end was that Isaac is still locked up in the Sprawl and is actually insane this whole time - that would take balls to do as a writer, so I'm not really sure they're willing to do it. Can't remember the last game that had a refreshing twist on the genre like that.
  • kc2 - May 8, 2012 11:11 a.m.

No Co Op. Co op RUINS any type of horror. You need to feel alone.