• Sathan - March 3, 2011 9:22 a.m.

I use leet speak if my gamertag is taken. I use leet speak and caps to make the name look less awkward. example is OBI 0NE KENOBI
  • Samueltehg33k - March 3, 2011 8:15 a.m.

I remember when Dan Amrich wrote this article for oxm the issue with the wolfeinstein cover and used my name in the "L33t" category :)
  • FauxFurry - March 3, 2011 8:12 a.m.

What do names containing puns or obscure allusions say about players? I'm guessing that, for them not to be more commonplace, selecting gamertags is Serious Business. Well,Microsoft does make $10 every time that players change said tags, so that attitude isn't too unreasonable. I guess that my screenname for GamesRadar/Destructoid does refer to my favorite animal, namely Human(human=sapient,talking animal=Faux Furry),but I'm not exactly aspiring to become more human than human...or am I? Do cybernetic components or the cyborgs they result in count as a separate species or are transhumanists who believe that off-base? Does fancy in-game learning accomplish the same in videogame land? If so, then my other gamertag falls under that category,as well. Maybe Doc Frederiksen was on to something, after all.
  • mattdark - March 3, 2011 7:37 a.m.

well, mine is the same as my username here (Only with the year I was born on the end, which has become pretty common these days) Dont think mine fits into any of those particular catagories. If it was 'MattDarkDestroya' I suppose...
  • RamenChimera - March 3, 2011 7:35 a.m.

Gamertag's the same as my username. What category is this?! Noodles and a mythological creature. Yeah.
  • blocpartier - March 3, 2011 7:26 a.m.

@kingsmikefan I remember this article too. I've been around here too long.
  • TheWebSwinger - March 3, 2011 6:45 a.m.

I'd recognize the side of Shane Patterson's head anywhere.
  • QWERTYCommander - March 3, 2011 6:21 a.m.

My PSN ID is QWERTYCommander. Don't know where that fits. Maybe it's pop culture because of the QWERTY?
  • noswar26 - March 3, 2011 6:18 a.m.

I accidentally left the caps lock on when I made my gamertag (YNNEK89). Its just my name backwards plus the year I was born in.
  • Fmrfox - March 3, 2011 6:13 a.m.

Mine is Fmrfox, which stands for Fantastic Mr Fox. Guess that makes me a pop culture animal hybrid. Non-conformity is overrated anyways.
  • 510BrotherPanda - March 3, 2011 6:01 a.m.

I wasn't reading GamesRadar/CheatPlanet in 2007...*sigh* But this still is a good article. I'm really starting to like these "5 Year Retrospect" articles. P.S.~ I'm only a "panda" because I'm a IRL Chinese person.
  • XLGirthMan - March 3, 2011 5:55 a.m.

My XBL tag is the same as my GR name. I guess it goes under the sexual category?
  • Druupwnz - March 3, 2011 5:52 a.m.

Alright GR (Happy 5th btw), so my tag is Druupwnz. Go figure. My name is Andrew, so does my tag mean I'm totally full of myself, or is it a pitiful bid for supremacy? I'm genuinely asking this, a response would be pretty damn cool.
  • Spybreak8 - March 3, 2011 5:38 a.m.

whoops, forgot to say in the Matrix.
  • Spybreak8 - March 3, 2011 5:36 a.m.

Haha I remember this sucker! Yeah I'm pop culture reference, Spybreaker. As in that awesome Propellerheads' song when they tear up the tiled column lobby.
  • TRAVthe3RD - March 3, 2011 4:56 a.m.

mine is the same as my gamesradar log in.. i only used caps to differentiate the 3 words from each other plus no one else had it so ya gotta take what you can get.. my mates is cyber doodle *giggles*
  • GreenLeader - March 3, 2011 4:47 a.m.

Funny thing is, mine probably fits under Pop-Culture, even though I didn't pick my tag because of Star-Wars. So... I wonder where that would leave me? GreenLeader 001 at your service.
  • porjos - March 3, 2011 4:37 a.m.

my gamertag is ihatebi11gate5...does this mean I'm a sexual deviant?
  • Doctalen - March 3, 2011 4:26 a.m.

I love mine (Diablo Cow). Everytime I imagine it I laugh.
  • philipshaw - March 3, 2011 4:12 a.m.

I remember when this was first posted,it was great then and even better now