• The_Boz - April 11, 2012 5:19 a.m.

Oh, forgot to mention, did anybody dislike Sims 3 because you could have a homosexual couple, even with kids? Family could have been a guy and 4 teen girls, or it could have been 2 male lovers with a few babies. When I created a household I never had any gay characters, and to be honest, if the game forced it upon me that the neighbours were gay, I wouldn't have kicked up a fuss and a storm, I would just not have bought it for that reason. A game could be aimed at gay men just like bars, also, nothing wrong with the majority aimed at hetrosexual men because we are the ones that created the industry for ourselves in general. Men have games, women have day time TV. Why the controversy. We have the choice to buy into something or not.
  • gaz-wkd - April 11, 2012 8:09 a.m.

"Men have games, women have day time TV." You need to take a step back and re-read what you said there. That's almost the same as saying 'the men go out to work, the women stay at home' That comes across as a mindset from the 1950's era.
  • The_Boz - April 11, 2012 8:51 a.m.

You have misquoted me there gaz. Different media are aimed at different groups. That is what I am saying.
  • gaz-wkd - April 11, 2012 9:05 a.m.

No I haven't, you said it, I highlighted it.
  • The_Boz - April 11, 2012 5:14 a.m.

What's all the fuss about? For a start, if someone finds something offensive in a game, just don't buy it simple as and if that affects sales figures and profit the publishers will listen as money talks. To be honest if the gay relationship was not optional I would definitely avoid this game at all costs as it would spoil my gaming experience. I have played many controversial games and am mature enough to look past a lot of trash. I have owned games like Postal 1 and 2 and just enjoyed them as a blast and ignored a lot of the shock humour in many games. I would never go on a blog though and chant loads of abuse to everybody else. I am against homosexuality, but it does not make me a homophobic. If it was forced upon me, I would just not play the game and if I was on a blog, I may put the reason why I wouldn't buy the game. Also, there have been many characters in differing game genres that have been sooooooo gay in their appearance nobody has lambasted a game for it. If you are not happy with the content, DO NOT BUY IT and leave it at that. Simple.
  • kyle94 - April 11, 2012 7:45 a.m.

So you're not homophobic, yet you're so offended and disgusted by homosexuality that you will go out of your way to never play the game? And because the writer wanted to create a story centered or at least partially centered around a homosexual character, you think it's being forced on you? If you're a Christian, and a game has a Muslim main character, would you refuse to play the game because they're 'forcing their religion' on you? And finally, did you seriously just say "sooooooo gay"?
  • Voodoowolfe - April 11, 2012 8:45 a.m.

you have totally missed the point
  • The_Boz - April 11, 2012 8:53 a.m.

And? Also, I have no phobia, because I am against something doesn't mean I have a fear over something. Please understand what a phobia is.
  • kyle94 - April 11, 2012 9 a.m.

A phobia is not just a fear, but an irrational dislike or aversion.
  • The_Boz - April 11, 2012 9:50 a.m.

Erm, it is in actual fact an irrational fear to be correct not dislike. Phobia comes from the Greek word Phobos which means Fear or Morbid Fear. There are many words in the English language that are being misused. Homophobia/ic many use as a dislike, immediately is another misued word and actually means "soon" or "shortly" but it's use has been changed. I don't fear a gay person, therefore I have no phobia.
  • doomfather - April 11, 2012 11:26 a.m.

Using that logic you're use of "gay" is a misuse. Seriously though, look up any dictionary entry for homophobia and it will mention that it's a fear, aversion or contempt for homosexuals.
  • kyle94 - April 11, 2012 12:53 p.m.

And words change over their history. Take "Decimate". It originally meant "To destroy one in ten", referring to an Ancient Roman punishment done against villages. Over time, in the English language, it became a synonym with 'destroy'. If someone says "decimated them completely", I'm not going to bring up what the original word meant, because it's no longer applicable, it's no longer correct.
  • Fruitbat - April 11, 2012 8:49 a.m.

"I am against homosexuality, but it does not make me a homophobic" Yes it does. That is literally the definition of homophobia, and adding stupid little qualifiers and your own personal definition, as people have taken to doing. does not change that. You are a homophobe; at least have the decency to admit it. "To be honest if the gay relationship was not optional I would definitely avoid this game at all costs as it would spoil my gaming experience. I have played many controversial games and am mature enough to look past a lot of trash." So you're mature enough to look past 'a lot of trash', but gay sex 'ruins your experience'? So gay relationships are worse than trash? Didn't you just say you aren't a homophobe? Get your story straight before you start typing, you vile little hypocrite. "Also, there have been many characters in differing game genres that have been sooooooo gay in their appearance nobody has lambasted a game for it." They've also generally presented gay people as being over the top and ridiculous; ME3 is getting flak over its gay relationships because it presents them in a relatively sensitive and compassionate way, and we can't have gay people being humanised and treated with dignity now, can we?
  • Stabby_Joe - April 11, 2012 4:52 a.m.

Give Americans a little more credit, Stephen Fry is known for more than that.
  • Superplush - April 11, 2012 4:47 a.m.

The thing that gets me about this, isn't about homosexuality in general. Its all about the Male-on-Male Gayness. ME1 and ME2 both had Male and female only Romances but also a Bisexual romance, BUT the Bisexuals have always been female. So a Male shepard is always straight but a Female Shepard can be Straight, Bi or gay. Noone says anything about that but as soon as there is male on male action all hell breaks loose! I applaud the stance but we all know EA and one thing they don't do is "stand up for the little person" out of the goodness of their hearts. I mean .. how many times, Playing ME trilogy, are we forced to stare at blaitant cleavage or female arse shots, but hardly ( if ever ) any Male shots? (Only one that comes to mind is Kaiden in ME3 hospital, even then he's usually killed by me earlier xD )
  • The_Boz - April 11, 2012 6:09 a.m.

The largest proportion of gamers are heterosexual males, like any media, you have to aim your product at the majority. If the majority don't like something, they won't buy it. Television is becoming more aimed at women, especially daytime TV, I may moan at that, but I am in a minority if I watch daytime TV so have to accept it or just not watch it. As a heterosexual male, my experience would be spoiled if I was playing a gay character, but unlike a lot of people, I will not shout from the highest mountain a load of profanities, I would just not buy the game. You may comment on gay female characters and the lack of objection it causes, but I remember the first gay kiss on a tv soap in the UK, all the women I worked with loved it and wanted to see more, but hated seeing women kissing. It is the same thing really. You comment on "male shots" you get more male exposure than female, how many penises have made it into childrens games and childrens television included and references to male masterbation too, I can name quite a few games but I can not name 1 game with a clitoris in it, also the rippling biceps, 6 packs, bums, crotches, everything are all as exploitative as a bit of cleavage. The thing is, male exposure is an accepted exploitation and us guys don't moan about it. When was the last time you saw a naked woman in a family rated TV program, and how many naked men have you seen showing their bums or flashes of their scrotums or penises. My family, TFI Friday and You've been framed have all shown male genitalia and bums to children but will not expose women in the same way. Think about it.
  • KnowYourPokemon - April 11, 2012 7:09 a.m.

"The largest proportion of gamers are heterosexual males, like any media, you have to aim your product at the majority." - Only the majority of what you produce has to be aimed at your majority. That's like saying only FPS games should be made because FPS games seem to be the best sellers. You can't try and tell me there are absolutely no shows on daytime TV that are aimed at men. Aiming at your majority doesn't mean you completely ignore the minority. And there are gay people who play video games, just because the majority has to be catered to doesn't mean the minority has to be completely left out. "As a heterosexual male, my experience would be spoiled if I was playing a gay character, but unlike a lot of people, I will not shout from the highest mountain a load of profanities, I would just not buy the game." - People aren't making a fuss about playing a gay character, they're complaining about simply having the option. And all I can say to them is sucks to be you, I played through mass effect 3 and magically I somehow had a male shepard with a female love interest. The game didn't force me in any respect to play my shepard as a gay character.
  • gaz-wkd - April 11, 2012 9 a.m.

Again this posting shows your out of touch. "The largest proportion of gamers are heterosexual males, like any media, you have to aim your product at the majority. If the majority don't like something, they won't buy it" Yes but the vast majority of people don't care if someone is gay or straight. "As a heterosexual male, my experience would be spoiled if I was playing a gay character" How so? I've played games that have a lead female character and it doesn't spoil the experience even though I'm a bloke. What about alien relationships in games do they stop you from buying a game after all I've played games where non-humans developed relationships yet it hasn't annoyed me as I'm grown up enough to realise it's part of the game/storyline. DO gay people not buy games with straight romantic storylines incorporated? Of course not we are grown up enough to see it as part of the game (yes it would be easy to avoid if we wanted as not all games have romantic bits in)
  • The_Boz - April 11, 2012 9:56 a.m.

If my character had gay interests, gay romances, yes I wouldn't want to play it. You may also like to know that I had Saints Row the Third and sometimes had my male character dressed as a woman or colourful animal, just because I could. As I have mentioned earlier, because a character does not announce he is gay, doesn't mean he isn't. I am not bothered what my character is at the end of the day as long as he/she/it is interesting, but I would not enjoy it if my character got involved in a gay relationship on screen. If I was playing a female character getting involved with a male, that is different. It is something I do not enjoy in my games, just like I don't like lots of nudity in my films for the sake of it or ad language for the shock value. I have my likes and dislikes, as every single gamer does gaz.
  • ParagonT - April 11, 2012 12:30 p.m.

The_Boz, Look, I've been reading all of these comments and I seriously just wanted to out my two cents in here (since this is a commenting area). It's fine to dislike homosexuals, it's fine to hate them, it's fine to think whatever you want about them, but it's not fine to take actions against them and prevent them from Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Not because they are homosexuals, but because they are humans just like anyone else, that deserves equal opportunity and rights as everyone else. If anyone does not like homosexuality, then do not purchase the game, or do not go down that choice within the game. It's simple, people should not complain about how the option is there, because buying the game/choosing that sexuality (whichever applies) is totally optional. Just because I do not believe in certain religions doesn't mean I'm going to get all up in arms about the fact that it simply exists in any media form. It exists, if you do not like it, don't buy it. It's not about whether you think they should have put in into the game for any reason, the point is that it is there, and you have the option. I respect your likes and dislikes, but can we all just agree that it's an option, and although it may not be what you like, it exists. Side note: People should never be against homosexuals, they just simply should not be for it, but they should not go out of their way to hinder it. (which is what I infer people mean by "against".)
  • Bobo93 - April 11, 2012 3:42 a.m.

Seriously? Thats all stephen Fry is known for in America?XD I agree with John Dagger while it is a brilliant campaighn ts just such a bllatant PR stunt and kinda comes across as insincere
  • OohWiiUILookJustLikeBuddyHolly - April 11, 2012 2:57 a.m.

Despite all of EA's general evilness, spreading the word of tolerance is never a bad thing, even if they have an agenda behind it.