• IceWh4le - November 11, 2013 8:43 a.m.

AYE AYE
  • Shnubby - November 11, 2013 8:32 a.m.

Gore Verbinski only made 3 Pirates of the Caribbean movies, the 4th was actually directed by Rob Marshall. The future 5th installment is being directed by Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg.
  • GR_AndyHartup - November 11, 2013 8:38 a.m.

Super. Didn't even know they were making a fifth film.
  • Shnubby - November 11, 2013 9:10 a.m.

Yeah, development has been delayed a lot due to Johnny being busy with "The Lone Ranger". The movie is currently set to be released in 2016 so we'll have to wait a little while for it! As far as I'm aware the full title will be "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales". Yes, I do spend a lot of time learning things about games and movies and such, hehe.
  • CurryIsGood - November 11, 2013 8:19 a.m.

But then Black Flag would not have had the Assassin's Creed name to sell copies in the first place. As a new IP, it would not have done nearly as well
  • Divine Paladin - November 11, 2013 8:46 a.m.

I'd have to argue that. From what I've seen, Black Flag was great. I wouldn't know, however, because as soon as I knew annualization was a definite when Revelations was announced shortly after Brotherhood came out, I stopped playing altogether. Partially because of a drop in quality that I knew would come in Revelations and III, and partially because I don't support annualization. It's just not my thing. It's the same reason I'm hesitant about BF4 (though 64 player PS4 online is very tempting). My point here is that I've completely ignored this game for months now because of the franchise it's in - not something I'm necessarily proud of, for the record. Had this been a new IP, I'd very likely have beaten it by now. It would've gotten a lot of media attention, perhaps not comparable to an AC game, but big nevertheless. And I'm sure there's a big sect of fans that dropped out of the series like I did, or fans of new IP in general, that would've given it a purchase. Does it cancel out the AC fans that may have skipped it? Doubtful, but possible. I guess my point is that there could've been a great result had this been its own franchise from day one. Of course, variables are everywhere (if it weren't AC would it have had this budget?), but it's an interesting point of discussion.
  • Drekner - November 11, 2013 9:08 a.m.

Exactly. The reason I don't have it right now was because "Oh it's another Assassin's Creed game. I'll pass." I used to love them just as I enjoyed CoD with it's first few games but with the annualization the series' are getting... I don't buy the games anymore.
  • garnsr - November 11, 2013 9:34 a.m.

I don't know that the Assasin's Creed games are any worse, for coming out every year, than Uncharted 3 or Gears of War 3 were, and they aren't annual. Sequels get tiresome after a while, especially this generation, and it isn't always about getting them too soon. I think being stuck in a universe that you have to worry about adding to, and keeping up all the old stuff, is more of a problem for AC than the frequency they come out. If they came out every two years they'd still have you following too many people, killing too many people, and not feel like a lurky assasin like the first couple of games.
  • Drekner - November 11, 2013 9:43 a.m.

Nah.. My main issue with the series wasn't even the following or killing too many people. The following didn't bother me as I hardly remember doing a lot of it, and the fighting/killing was always fun for me. I enjoyed the actual games themselves all the way up to three.. But three was so completely broken a lot of the time I was unable to play it. Getting stuck trying to run up rocks, stuck on certain buildings while trying to free-run, my character completely locking up during fights causing me to take injury. That sort of thing just rubbed me the wrong way so three really broke it off for me. I figured since from Revelations to three they only had that one year or so to make it (not to mention it was a new upgraded engine) is why it had all those glitches for it. And, just for the record, I loved Uncharted 3 and Gears of War 3 as well. Just played Gears 3 last night for a few hours on Horde mode. Haha. As for sequels, Im good with sequels as long as the story is good and keeping me entertained. AC is just getting a bit too.. Not convoluted but. Stupid I guess. The cliff hanger endings were neat but now they're just annoying.