• FOZ - March 14, 2012 7:46 a.m.

What's there to interrupt? The first game acknowledge civilization is built around the mass relays. It's doubtful that most of the colonies and even some of the homeworlds are self-sufficient anymore, so without them, the galaxy is screwed. Millions, probably billions of people will starve or kill each other. If I was a history major I'm sure I could come up with some useful analogies. Point is, there's only one outcome, that being the universe is worse off than ever, and the only positive is that the big mean Reapers and their illogical, contrived reason for existing are gone. If you want an ending people will talk about, they have those. Try Deus Ex and Bastion.
  • FOZ - March 14, 2012 7:47 a.m.

Interpret. Not interrupt. Unless we can Paragon/ Renegade interrupt to avert these dumb endings.
  • db1331 - March 14, 2012 8:40 a.m.

Are you joking? "Try Deus Ex?" The whole problem is that they COPIED the ending from Deus Ex. I don't mean that they used elements from it. I mean it's like they literally copied and pasted the entire thing right into the game. Go watch the three ending choices from Deus Ex on YT. It's the same choices: Destroy, control, or synthesize. It's a damn travesty that this happened. "I didn't want the game to be forgettable. Even right down to the sort of polarizing reaction that the ends have had with people - debating what the endings mean and what's going to happen next, and what situation are the characters left in." Except that isn't what people are talking about. People are pissed that none of the choices they made mattered in the end. Throughout the course of the series, you had to decide who gets to go home and who gets left behind. You had the choice to save or completely eradicate entire species. Someone that you were doing a mission with in YOUR ME 3, could have been killed in MY ME 1. But despite all that, everyone got the exact same ending, except with maybe a different colored explosion. You know those little paper things the girls made in middle school, where you would pick a color and they would tell you something stupid, like "You smell"? Thats' basically what the ending was. Shepard goes up to the Citadel, the little spectral boy pops up and says, "Pick a color." It's one of, if not THE worst endings I've seen to a game, especially as the ending to such a great series. It felt like if you were watching The Empire Strikes Back, and then for the last 5-10 minutes, somebody switched out the ending with the ending from The Phantom Menace. A better ending would have been: Shepard goes up to the Citadel, destroys the Reapers, Shep lives or dies (doesn't really matter), the galaxy is saved, and then as the credits roll, they fade in scenes showing you the results of your actions (If you cured the Genophage, show a bunch of baby Krogans playing on Tuchanka. If you ended the war between the Quarians and the Geth, show them getting along and rebuilding the planet). That took more time to type than it did to think it up, and it's a million times better than the ending they used. Don't even get me started everything having been a story a grandpa tells to his grandson bullshit at the end. Whoever thought that up should be embarrassed.
  • FOZ - March 14, 2012 8:56 a.m.

No, I'm not joking. To say ME3 copied Deus Ex's endings is insulting to Deus Ex, which has 3 very distinct endings. JC fuses with Helios, JC sets all technology back hundreds of years, JC destroys Area 51, Page, and Helios, then the Illuminati take control of the world. As opposed to Mass Effect 3: Reapers die, Reapers go away, everyone becomes cyborgs, and the mass relays are gone in every ending. Basically just palette swaps. The choices are a travesty, but that's far from the only issue.
  • FOZ - March 14, 2012 10:52 a.m.

Change that around. JC sets technology back BY destroying Area 51. Or the Illuminati take control of Area 51 and the world. But even though I thought HR's ending section was incredibly weak and overly familiar, as well as having no ending cinematics beyond stock footage. the endings all make some sense as well as being morally ambiguous. Even Adam's monologue changes depending on how you played the game, something Mass Effect 3, a series that constantly had its "choices" exalted, failed to do at all.
  • Tispower - March 14, 2012 10:47 a.m.

In Deus Ex:HR the endings also fitted in with the themes of the rest of the game, in ME3 they come out of nowhere. Heck we were even promised the opposite (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/336331/interviews/mass-effect-3-we-cant-go-on-holiday-our-dlc-is-really-good/?page=2) "So it's not like a classic game ending where everything is linear and you make a choice between a few things - it really does layer in many, many different choices, up to the final moments, where it's going to be different for everyone who plays it."
  • larkan - March 14, 2012 11:10 a.m.

It's a marketing strategy by Bioware to sell tons of upcoming DLC. I mean come on, do any of us REALLY think the Bioware team sat down, made their choices for the endings and said "seems legit"? No, they knew this would cause an uproar, in fact they were counting on it, to help spread word of the franchise. What they're going to do next is release 4 or 5 $10 DLC packs over the next year, claiming they were created based on "fan feedback", when really they've had the storyboard finished for awhile now. They're just creating new ways to make money. If you don't like this business practice, hit them where it hurts, and quit buying games.
  • SGTCOOL - March 14, 2012 10:13 a.m.

It seems you and I wanted completely different things from this game. To me everyone is missing the point that the decision made at the end of the game wasn't necessarily made for those living now. It was made for all future sentient life. You have to think on a large term scale, which is what mass effect was always about. We couldn't possibly get all the answers: There is obviously something at work in the universe that is bigger than all of us. Sure the mass relays are destroyed, and hell maybe all of the current races all die out. But nobody thinks about evolution. New species will arise. And eventually those species will create their own technology, maybe even comparable to the mass relays. But that could take millions of years. But now there is no reaper threat. I made my decision for THEM: The future of galactic civilization. That's what excites me about Mass Effect, that we are dealing with forces beyond the capacity for human comprehension. Sorry we couldn't see a cutscene of Tali building her house at the end.
  • Bloodstorm - March 14, 2012 10:52 a.m.

I fought to save everyone in the cycle, not everyone to ever come in the galaxy. I don't care about future, unheard of races that may or may not exist. It was all about Human, Asari, Turrian, Krogan, Salarian, Quarian and Geth. I'm not satisfied by "think about the races that are to come." Otherwise, I could have just let the Reaper kill everyone off without a difference.
  • SGTCOOL - March 14, 2012 11:20 a.m.

Well, life isn't fair. And this game represents that perfectly. I'm bummed that not everyone can appreciate the ending the way I do, but if we had gotten the ending that the majority of people may have preferred, then I'd be in the same boat as all of you: Pissed off. There was NO WAY that everyone would've been satisfied with the ending regardless of what happened or if there were actually sixteen unique ones. I respect Casey Hudson for creating an ending that got people talking, even though most hate it. It should be an artist's intention to spur debate. It's better than your work fading into obscurity.
  • HeavyTank - March 14, 2012 7:23 a.m.

There are three possible endings (see what I did there?) to this whole situation: 1.Bioware reads the threads that propose that -SPOIL SPOIL- the whole thing was Shepard being indoctrinated or was hallucinating and simply "steal" the ideas from the users and implement them in future DLC, claiming that it was a trick all along. 2.Bioware honestly planned this all along, but this still means that the ending is terrible, because "it was all a dream" is one of the worst excuses in the history of videogame/movie scripts to pull off weird crap like this.If they wanted it to end otherwise, they should've done it in the original game, not added content. 3.Bioware just doesn't give a crap and releases a ton of DLC that doesn't do anything to change the endings. With that being said, I think the users are overreacting. Five minutes of bad writing don't make a game bad when there are thirty hours of good writing to begin with..
  • Bloodstorm - March 14, 2012 7:42 a.m.

I agree the last 5 minutes didn't make the game bad. ME3 still had some of the most enjoyable moments in gaming for me in the past year (Though I have been kind of under a rock for about a year after loosing my income). But, those last 5 minutes don't make you feel like all those great moments had any real consequence, or that they really mattered. They don't necessarily have to rewrite the entire ending, but they need to at least add to it. A 5 minute cut scene to end a trilogy such as this is inexcusable. We need to see what happens to the rest of the galaxy. What happens to the races, what happens to our crew (that part definitely needs a rewrite, because it makes no sense as to why the Normandy is fleeing in the first place). The problem with the ending now, is they can only add DLC that extends the story within the body of the game, and not past it.
  • HeavyTank - March 14, 2012 9:18 a.m.

Fair enough.
  • amagasakiseb - March 14, 2012 7:19 a.m.

so the player choice counts for nothing in the end? What a surprise. I don't think games are really at that point yet anyway. Player choice this generations are always shallow instead of one path you might get four but that's not really changing the game. Players are being offered strawberry, mint, vanilla or chocolate but they want to make their own flavour.. maybe next-gen?
  • bilstar - March 14, 2012 7:15 a.m.

I thought the ending was great! I dunno what people want, it ended and it ended well. Asking to have the ending changed is madness. Abhorrent even.
  • bated321 - March 14, 2012 7:33 a.m.

Sorry, but you are completely wrong. From a critical perspective they were shocking. Just watch this video for an explanation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H_A7SeawU4
  • chrisda - March 14, 2012 7:51 a.m.

The ending really was terrible and a complete abomination to what the series standed for for the past ten years. After spending well over 100 hours on the series, for it to end like that is a complete slap to the player's face.
  • Konachan - March 14, 2012 9:02 a.m.

For the last 10 years? As far as I can remember, this franchise is barely 5 years old.