• ricono - March 14, 2012 10:12 a.m.

The endings themselves i kinda of liked but i didnt have a huge reaction to them what i had a problem with was that their was no pay off, about what happened to my charceters and the universe but im sure they can fix that in DLC.
  • SGTCOOL - March 14, 2012 9:55 a.m.

Sounds like a lot of people wanted a clean cut boring "FUCK YEAH WE WON!" ending. In which further discussion about the series is pointless. Everyone apparently expected THOUSANDS of endings based on every tiny choice that was made in the entire series...Which that wouldn't be possible so you were all destined to hate whatever ending that was given to you. Personally I enjoy being able to discuss the possibilities of what actually happened at the end, the far reaching consequences of your actions. The decisions you made in the series DID matter: They all led to this. It was always going to be this way and all of this discussion is us simply bending to the will of the creators who WANT us to talk about it. How about if you hated the ending and therefor hate the entire series now, just stop talking about it. If they for some reason put out alternate ending DLCs, don't buy it. Let it fade into obscurity to be forgotten. That is how you should stick it to Bioware, instead of giving them exactly what they want: Endless discussion, whether it be positive or negative.
  • Bloodstorm - March 14, 2012 10:34 a.m.

It isn't we hate the ending, and now hate the entire series. It is, we hate the ending, but love the entire series. This is the outcry of a bunch of passionate fans who loved the series, and feel betrayed. It is kind of like Lost. I love the series, but I pretend the finally doesn't exist.
  • reach110 - March 14, 2012 12:28 p.m.

You know, it is possible to have a "FUCK YEAH WE WON" ending without having it be clean-cut and boring. That's why movies are still an accepted medium. 99 times out of 100, the good guy wins. We know that when we sit down in the theater. Yet our concern is HOW they win, and at what cost. With Mass Effect, we know almost from the beginning that our choices will affect the outcome, and that it is possible to fail. This still puts us at a higher probability for success because of they way stories are told in general, but we played three games to see HOW. At what cost. Since we are the ones in control of the lead character, making all decisions and holding serious influence, and since the story can play out so differently for each person who plays, we were all kind of hoping that we would see our hard work and painful decisions come to fruition. *Spoilers....duh* Mass Effect 3 has fifteen different endings. They are divided into two groups based on a big decision made in the second game. Aside from complete and utter failure, The only outcomes presented in the fourteen other endings all result in the destruction of the Citadel and the Mass Relays. There. You have just destroyed the technology on which the entire premise of the series was based. The first two games and the majority of the third game seem to focus on things like loyalty, friendship and the classic good v. evil battle, but the final choice presented to you at the end of ME3 deals solely with Man v. Machine, putting to bed all of the countless interactions throughout the rest of the games that deal with forging relationships with other characters. And each one of those choices has one unifying outcome that is so big it overshadows every other event that results. Not to mention that we had previously been shown that if a relay blows up, it wipes out the system it resides in. Now what? Now every major force in the GALAXY that you rallied to your cause has been trapped at Earth, with no way back to their home system. World leaders, substantial military forces and important scientists have now all been trapped in one place, thrusting the rest of the galaxy into chaos. And what is the one thing Reapers lorded over the player the whole trilogy? "We are the order to your chaos." So here we sit, a couple hundred hours after the beginning of this fantastic trilogy and say..... WTF. I don't hate the series now, I still love it. And there was no way Bioware would have been able to create endings that satisfied every single path that a player could have possibly taken. But I don't think any of us are out of line in feeling a bit empty.
  • Mike657 - March 14, 2012 2:50 p.m.

Exactly. Agree with you completely.
  • Jobu - March 14, 2012 9:35 a.m.

The amazing thing to me is that it isn't so much a "feud" but more a universal consensus. I've never seen the interwebs come together on something like this before. I'd conservatively say it seems like 9 out 10 people despise the ending and see it as a total failure of everything the franchise has come to be known for. I'd probably also say that a certain percentage of the 1 out of 10 that defend it are also trolling. The endings left such an awful taste in my mouth that I have no motivation to finish my remaining 6 playthroughs, there's nothing worth fighting for having seen those endings and the lack of influence my Shepard has upon them. Also, thank you Gamesradar for not being like certain other gaming sites that try to sum up our disappointment with "DERP FANS SAD BECAUSE NO HAPPY ENDING".
  • Bloodstorm - March 14, 2012 10:41 a.m.

I know, I expected *SPOILER* that Shepard wouldn't make it. The game lead up to the outcome, and I had already accepted it. I was a paragon, and if self sacrifice meant everyone was saved in the process, that is the decision my character would make. The problem was that there was no closure, no evidence that I truly delivered the galaxy from annihilation. Nothing to show that my choices made a difference, or that the galaxy was better off. An old man and a kid talking about "The Shepard" was hardly satisfying that the galaxy continued. And then, lets not even start on the plot holes.
  • Jobu - March 14, 2012 11:57 a.m.

Well said. I could have easily dealt with a sad ending, a vague ending, even a bad ending. But this is none of those things, it's just massive plot holes and unexplainable last second twists that provide nothing of value. We all complained about elevators in ME1, then Bioware go and destroy the franchise with an elevator of light in the final 10 minutes. Touche.
  • Inthedistrict - March 14, 2012 7:54 p.m.

Ahh, the elevator of light. A cut scene that was represented for a very long 5 seconds and shown at the end of the game. How exactly does that compare to the elevator issue in the first game? You mention trolling up above, but from what you've decided to complain about, I feel like you're grasping at straws to belittle a game. Not everyone thought the trilogy or its endings were terrible. It simply didn't end how you wanted it to end. FFVII had a pretty craptacular ending, but most people agree that it was a solid game nonetheless. It's not perfect, but overall, I was impressed.
  • reach110 - March 14, 2012 10:44 p.m.

I don't know man, after careful in-depth analysis of the elevator comment, I think it MAY have been a joke.
  • Inthedistrict - March 15, 2012 9:24 a.m.

I don't know man, after a careful in-depth analysis of the comments made on this article, it's hard to differentiate the mild sarcasm from the frivolous complaints made about the ending of this game.
  • reach110 - March 16, 2012 3:47 p.m.

Poor you.
  • infestedandy - March 16, 2012 12:20 a.m.

I'd like to know what "plot holes" you guys are talking about. If you're referencing the lack of explanations for all of your questions at the end, that's part of the whole conclusion. We don't know what happens next, but we know enough to draw conclusions to discuss.
  • reach110 - March 16, 2012 3:45 p.m.

Two plot holes in particular. One: we are shown in the Arrival DLC that when a relay is destroyed, it wipes out the system it resides in. Killing EVERYONE. ALL of the relays got destroyed. So now, even if somehow everyone survived such a cataclysmic event (which obviously DOES do damage, as illustrated by the Normandy getting torn apart,) everyone that went to earth is now trapped there with no way to their home system. Two, Joker has for some reason taken the Normandy and its crew through a mass relay to who-knows-where during the most pivotal point of the battle against the reapers. Why? Where was he going? Why run from the fight right in the middle? Also, a bonus plothole: As Joker is piloting the Normandy and trying to outrun the explosion from the relay, he looks behind him as if to look out a window. If you're sitting in the pilot seat of the Normandy and you look behind you, do you know what you see? MORE NORMANDY. There is no window, there is no rearview mirror, just the galaxy map and an elevator. You say we know enough to draw conclusions to discuss. Um... THAT'S WHAT WE'RE DOING.
  • Inthedistrict - March 22, 2012 11:22 a.m.

I think you need to look up the textbook definition of a plot hole. I see a lot of unanswered questions, but I fail to see how any of the situations you mentioned couldn't be explained. Joker looking behind him (when you clearly have no idea what he is looking at) is not a plot hole. Stop regurgitating crap other people have mentioned to make a case. Next you'll jump on the "god-child" boat that's sinking like the Titanic.
  • reach110 - April 22, 2012 12:02 p.m.

From Wikipedia: A plot hole, or plothole, is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot, or constitutes a blatant omission of relevant information regarding the plot. These include such things as unlikely behaviour or actions of characters, illogical or impossible events, events happening for no apparent reason, or statements/events that contradict earlier events in the storyline. I'm sick of having to point this out. In Arrival, we are told that when a relay blows up it wipes out the system it's in. When the relays blow up at the end of ME3, the explosions are clearly MASSIVE, and they're shown to do damage to the Normandy which shows us that they weren't blown up by some kind of energy pulse designed to only take out the relays. PLOT HOLE. Not to mention the mistake where a crew member you can take with you to charge the beam can still end up stepping off of the Normandy in the end. The Joker thing was a minor thing, which is why I said BONUS. It was just a side note I found funny. He could very well have just been inspecting the damage the ship was taking, but good job attacking the weakest point of my statement rather than actually coming back with a relevant point. And yes, since I have similar complaints about the same subject everyone else is talking about, I'm "regurgitating." Way to go, man.
  • Baron164 - March 14, 2012 9:20 a.m.

I'm not upset that Shepard dies and I'm not upset at the decision you need to make at the end, all though that could have been done better. It's more the fact that all your decisions through out the entire series has pertty much no effect on the end. And all the endings are essentially the same thing, there are no real differences between the end. And the whole thing with the Normandy crashing on a remote planet makes no sense to me whatsoever. The destroying of the relays also bugs me because that essentially strands thousands of other species in the SOL system with no quick way home. It also bugs me that in the control ending the citidel isn't destroyed like in the other two endings but the relay's are still destroyed.
  • FlyinMachine - March 14, 2012 8:22 a.m.

I've been following the buzz of angry fans that're upset about the Mass Effect 3 ending and I'm certainly among them. I'd like to reiterate that it's not that the ending is "too dark" or anything like that, it just leaves too many things up in the air! It's like it destroys the very fabric and purpose of its galaxy that you spent 3 games trying to save. Whether you live or die is almost negligible, I just want to see some sort of resolution or closure, not more questions.
  • reach110 - March 14, 2012 12:33 p.m.

Exactly! We spent three games trying to prevent the annihilation of all life. But no matter what we did, the annihilation of our WAY OF LIFE happened anyway. The technology is all gone. It's like the ending of The Day The Earth Stood Still. We win, but at the cost of all our technology. "You mean instead of destroying Earth, you're just going to take away electricity? That's great, but there were a LOT of people in hospitals who just died..."
  • ObliqueZombie - March 14, 2012 8:07 a.m.

That's what I've heard from damn near every other person to have finished--it was just so emotionally contradicting that they weren't sure if it had truly ended. But knowing BioWare, they'll make some great DLC that adheres and possibly finishes the story in a way people want. In the man time, I'll stand in blissful ignorance. I just sicked Kalros on the invading Reaper on Tuchanka, and I couldn't have envisioned a better moment in gaming than that one.