• BladedFalcon - March 15, 2012 6:45 a.m.

I just finished the game and well... Yeah, the ending fucking sucks. While I won't go so far as to say it's one of the worst endings ever, and it certainly doesn't make the rest of the game ant less good... Yeah, the ending just falls completely short on what ME stands for. Lack of explanation, big gaping plot-holes and logic flaws, lack of impact of any choices you're made in the past, no real closure or epilogue for the things you cared for in the game. I mean- The ending itself had some glaring problems and it was kinda stupid, but EVEN as it is it's not that terrible per se: What's kinda unforgivable is that that's all there is to it. I think what most people, including myself, wanted a real resolution to what happened to those that lived after. Hell, Shepard didn't necessarily had to survive, (Altough it would have been excellent if this was also something that changed depending on choices past.) but at least a short scene showing you every important character and how they lived after that, same with huge decisions such as what happened to rannoch if either faction got wiped out or if both managed to co-exist. That Bioware didn't do any of this is what I believe most people find so enraging. So... sorry Hudson, your ending is not polarizing, controversial, or unforgettable. it's just sloppy, cliched, full of plotholes and since I am pretty sure you KNOW what it would have taken, yet you didn't do it, lazy, outright lazy. And having this come later as DLC won't really make up for anything, unless it was free DLC, but somehow I doubt it will. and even if it is it doensn't make up for the fact that ending is still a bit crap.
  • Sinosaur - March 15, 2012 3:58 p.m.

I completely agree with you that the ending doesn't respect how important decisions are to a game like this. Pretty much every other decision you make up to that point might as well have not existed. The endings for a person who did everything in every game should be noticeably different from somebody who did the bare minimum. And the ending for someone who played the game as a total Paragon should be different than someone who went around punching people all the time.
  • BladedFalcon - March 15, 2012 6:05 p.m.

Yeah... But I mean, I understand that making such entirely radical, different endings could be too much time consuming and expensive. What I think could have been far more feasible, and it would have been more than good enough, was what db suggested in the early pages of this article: Show us tidbits of what happened to the people you affected, show us the Krogan feeling dismayed, betrayed and impotent upon realizing you sabotaged the genophage or not. Show us Joker and EDI's awkward but no doubt fun attempts at being a couple, or walking separate in life if you never vouched. Those don't even have to be long scenes, just a minute at most. But it would reflect specific actions that ALREADY showed different cinematics and effect in the game itself, certainly it could have not been much to ask for the ending to be more like this..?
  • Sinosaur - March 15, 2012 6:57 p.m.

True, as long as it's a step or two up from Dragon Age's brief paragraphs about the things you did, it would have been nice. And it makes it worse that they kept building things up with all of the old people you'd met showing up through out the game and having at least some minor impact. I was expecting a lot as I got to the end, and most of that's to blame on how good a job they did of making me feel the impact of my actions in the previous games in the rest of the story.
  • BladedFalcon - March 15, 2012 7:31 p.m.

Well... At least we still have that, and i think even the awful ending can't take that away. I mean, if there's no DLC fixing or expanding on this issue. I'll just keep myself with a warm memory of the series and just block out the ending XD
  • mothbanquet - March 16, 2012 12:16 a.m.

Remember, they already showed they could implement the decisions process into an ending with ME2. Just little flashes of 'let's hope the new armour holds up' or 'let's try out the new gun'. It doesn't have to be a hugely complex web of every decision you made. I think DAO got it spot on in that regard. A few big, sweeping ending sequences followed by descriptions of what happened to everyone, and a summary of the state of the galaxy following the Reaper War. I made many decisions with the aim of preserving the stability of the galaxy after the war - how dumb do I feel now? xD
  • Sinosaur - March 16, 2012 12:23 p.m.

Yeah, I also played Mass Effect from 1-3 with Shepard being the person I'd want to be in that position: the paragon. At every turn I made decisions to get rid of pointless conflict and to save everyone who could be saved. ...Then I get the exact same options as somebody who chose to hit people every chance they got or didn't do any side missions. Sure some people survived in cutscenes who would have otherwise died, but it just feels like nothing I did really mattered. I proved that synthetics and organics could get along, and some stupid ghost kid refuses to acknowledge it.
  • mothbanquet - March 15, 2012 5:38 a.m.

I would've been happy with feeling like any of the 'important' decisions I made over the trilogy actually mattered. While I wouldn't go so far as to say the endings ruined the experience (the 32 hours leading up to the last 5 mins were some of the finest in recent memory - and the multiplayer is top-notch), it definitely put me off playing through the story again, or at least not getting emotionally invested in it with a different character. I understand what BioWare was trying to do. I just don't think it was the best direction to take after 3 of the most emotional, impactful and deeply personal games I've ever played.
  • Sinosaur - March 15, 2012 4 p.m.

Yeah, an ending like the one they used works better if you put it after a 1-2 hour film, not a 100+ hour epic that was about the decisions made by you as the protagonist (some minor, some absurdly monumental)
  • joseph-tracy - March 14, 2012 11:07 p.m.

I have not see any evidence to support that most mass effect players are ok with the endings. In fact out of people who have finished the game the polls i have seen have said the reverse. That most fans are quite upset with the ending as I was as i cut the system off and haven't touched it since unlike the other games where I started a new character right off the bat. But most of my feelings on the game were summed up by a writer that was very logical about the ending. http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/ Either way I feel Bioware as a company needs to make up for this otherwise a large amount of their fan base will leave them and never trust another one of their games again. My heart was pounding up till the god child showed up and I was like wtf is this shit. The game was good up to then and I felt accomplished I was even ok with my whole team dying to save the world. But you should have been able to argue with the kid because you brought peace to the Geth and Tali's people. And even the geth said they didn't want to kill their creators so they let them go when they could have. Both things completely negate what he said. The ending disregards the rest of the games (most of all 3) and spits in the face of cannon.
  • Nightmare354 - March 14, 2012 10:24 p.m.

Has everyone forgotten alot of endings to past games? Saying this is the worst ending to a game in (insert years here). I feel like no one played Halo 2 and had to sit through that horrible ending. And Mass Effect has always had choices, but they never change the end of the game. Look at Mass Effect 1. You killed Saren and a reaper. No matter what you did, you killed him and it. You might of gotten Saren to off himself first then have to kill him again. But none the less no matter what decisions you make. It always ends up that way. Also, complaining about the ending, but not what happens in the game? I was a bit upset I couldn't stop the geth from destroying the quarians. But I'm not going to cry to Bioware telling them to change that. Just suck it up and deal with it. Yeah the ending might be bad, but it in no means makes the game or the -trilogy- bad. We all knew the game wasn't going to end on a good high note. Or did we forget as people what a trilogy means? The end of something, good or bad.
  • reach110 - March 14, 2012 10:37 p.m.

you COULD stop them from killing the quarians...
  • ParagonT - March 17, 2012 6:35 a.m.

The ending should be a compilation of all the things you did in the game that prides itself on being based on the players choices. The game was good, but there is a clear difference in the ending of the series than a game. Your example of Saren and the Reaper could be applied to many of the missions where they directed you down a single path, but thats for the sake of story telling. This ending however was full of plot and lore holes, and really downright lazy compared to the rest of the game. I don't know what would have been better, them not showing me an ending at all and just cutting out a part of the game, or this ending. I don't know who you think are crying to Bioware unless you mean the online petition that's collecting money for Child's Play which undoubtedly is doing more good than you probably ever will in your life.
  • bosamba - March 14, 2012 10:04 p.m.

I've had time to think about just what was "off" to me about the ending. It wasn't bad, it just didn't feel like the logical conclusion to the trilogy It was the tone. It seemed to belong to a different game entirely. The fact that the Reapers (synthetic race) kill advanced organic races so that the organics don't create synthetics that will eventually kill organics makes no sense at all. For a series so steeped in player choice it felt really constricting on what you could do. There was no sense of closure. You didn't know who survived the final battle outside of Joker, EDI, and in my case, Liara. Characters you've spent five years with are not mentioned at all. Add to that the sequence for all three endings are the same outside of what color the explosion is that the Normandy is outrunning. I have a feeling this will become like Alan Wake where the two DLCs are the "true" ending" and this illogical, bizarre sequence with the star child turns out be a a dream/hallucination.
  • dj-yoho - March 14, 2012 7:34 p.m.

The fact that i have replayed the prior games 9 time and have 9 diffrent shepards is what has fans upset. no mater wich one i play i only have the 3 ending. This entire franchise was founded upon the idea that your choices would change the story. But what is the point if the story has the same ending. I have not replayed ME3 due the the relization that no mater what I do i will recive the same outcome and little resolution to the story. They say it was to be a modern Epic but insted the ending seams to be a copout on piss poor planing. Why bother to inport 1000 options if you just treat all shepards the same. This was a knife in the back of all fans and for their devotion to the franchise they recived the ability to push one of three buttons.
  • Rowdie - March 14, 2012 6:45 p.m.

I really don't understand a single complaint I've read. Well I understand some issue if you perceive the star-child as god like in that he's all knowing or infallible. It never occurred to me to think of him this way. If you don't view him as all knowing discriminator of truth then you don't have to fret when his opinion of things don't match up with yours. He's flawed.
  • Inthedistrict - March 14, 2012 7:37 p.m.

I agree with you - I didn't see a big issue with the ending. To be honest, I thought the ending to the first game was rather lackluster, and not much different from the lack of substance to the second game's ending. Overall, I thought the story was excellent, and worth the wait. If they could do anything over again, I sort of wish they made Miranda a little more relevant throughout...I feel like (in my story anyway) that the writers sort of ran out of ideas on how to incorporate her in the 3rd game. Also, what's with the play through at the end? After a story ending like that, I don't really want to go back and play like none of the ending ever happened. It worked for the second game, but in my opinion, it's a little weird for the third installment, even if I'm trying to tie up loose ends with my character. I had to shut it off by that point. Other than that though, I thought it was an appropriate story ending given the environment.
  • aliengmr - March 14, 2012 8:55 p.m.

And yet you are forced to choose one of god-kids 3 options, instead of kicking his ethereal ass. God-kid chooses the ending and you get to pick the color.
  • ParagonT - March 17, 2012 6:37 a.m.

To understand most of the complaints you really need to be involved with the lore and universe as a whole.
  • Mike657 - March 14, 2012 2:44 p.m.

I absolutely love everything about Mass Effect, literally everything in the series, except for two things: the From Ashes DLC, and the ending. I've heard pretty convincing proof that a good portion of From Ashes is actually buried in the code somewhere, indicating that at least some of it was made way before certification, but whatever. Ten bucks isn't a problem for me, and I liked the DLC, so I can get over it. I think the ending (Everything onward from the star-child's "Wake Up") is broken in multiple ways. For one, its reminiscent of classic sci-fi like 2001: A Space Odyssey, and not at all suited (in my mind) for Mass Effect. The child being the same one from Shepard's dreams is never given the slightest explanation, and like many point out, your choices prior to the last five minutes have no bearing on the ending except for your number of options. Plus, there's no closure on the characters or the rest of the galaxy. Heartfelt goodbyes BEFORE the ending don't cut it for me, we have no idea what happens to them or what the aftermath of your decision/sacrifice is. But I can overlook all that. It's their story, they can go where they want with it. What genuinely angers me about it is that it literally does not make sense. The child's stated reason for using the Reapers is to impose order on chaos. The chaos being that advanced organics always create synthetics that always rebel, and will eventually destroy all organics. So, in order to prevent this, the star-child.....creates a race of synthetics that wipe out all advanced organic life. Sure, they "store" them in Reaper form, but genocide is genocide. It's the stupidest, most hypocritical reasoning I've ever heard, especially since I had the Geth fighting with my fleet of organics just outside the Citadel. Are we really supposed to believe that the best way that an apparently God-like being can come up with to keep the peace is to kill everyone capable of fighting? I have no problem with an ending I don't like personally, but I do require them to make sense.
  • Mike657 - March 14, 2012 2:47 p.m.

Oh, right. There's also zero explanation as to how your crew got back on the Normandy from Earth or what the hell it was doing flying away from the most important event ever while Shepard was still on the Citadel. That also bugs me.