Topics

Box Art

• zombi3grim - December 3, 2012 6:36 a.m.

Im somewhere in the middle. I could really do without the American flag burning in the background. As someone who fought for this country and has a brother currently in Afghanistan, it is a little disrespectfull. Go ahead and bash me about it. You guys wont understand unless you lived the life.
  • winner2 - December 3, 2012 7 a.m.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think they intended the flag burning to show any kind of disrespect toward the country, but rather to give a sense of the chaos that you'll find in game.
  • zombi3grim - December 3, 2012 8:39 a.m.

I know WHY the flag is burning. But to feature it prominently on the cover of the box to me is disrespectfull. I get you want to draw attention to your game. But men have died for that flag. REAL men, not call of duty players. People have been shot at and went through hell for what that flag represents. It was in poor taste, regardless of why its there. Those are my feelings on it anyways.
  • bass88 - December 3, 2012 11:08 a.m.

While I respect your opinion but I don't agree that it is in poor taste. I feel that the burning flag represents the destruction of American values - a theme that the game explores (well, it's supposed to - we can't comment until it's released). So I believe it is justified in its appearence. Sorry. And may your brother remain safe.
  • zombi3grim - December 3, 2012 4:21 p.m.

Like I said, I understand WHY its there. I get it. I know the developers did not intentionally mean to disrespect the flag or our country. BUT if you have never served in the military and have never seen people close to you get wounded or die for that flag, you wont get it. Show this cover to a combat vet and the burning flag will be the first thing they notice.
  • bass88 - December 4, 2012 11:03 a.m.

I understand that you get it. I'm merely offering my viewpoint. No, I have never fought for my country. I considered enrolling but the Iraq war left a sour taste in my mouth. And while I don't buy into the idea that only those who fight for their country "get it" (because it implies the invalid have no concept of patriotism), I decided to ask some soldiers I know (btw, they're British). I showed them (three of them) an image of a UK flag in flames and asked what they thought. They only asked why it is on fire. I said it was no reason in particular to which they responded that they didn't know how to feel. One admitted to feeling shocked at seeing the flag but he didn't find it offensive. I asked them about did it not enrage them to see what they fight for in flames. One quickly responded with (and I quote) "We don't fight for the flag. We fight for what it symbolises. Only an idiot fights for a flag!" When they asked me why I was asking them these questions, I told them about your feelings and showed them the box art. They said they understand you feeling shocked but they didn't consider it offensive. Sorry if I offended you in this post (it wasn't my intention) but I felt I should ask those in the know before I mouth off again.
  • zombi3grim - December 4, 2012 5:54 p.m.

First of all, Im not "shocked" or "enraged." Im not even pissed off. I just find it disrespectfull. To me, someone who has very recently fought in a war and who has a brother that, right now, is fighting in a war, its disrespectfull. And its not the flag itself, it IS what it symolizes. Of course, I dont give a fuck about a flag. But I DO care about what it means. Those Marines who raised it in Iwo Jima did not do that just to see it burned in artistic representations of entertainment. Yes, in America, you need to serve and protect your country if you value any sort of patriotism. Otherwise, you come across as a hypocrite. I dont know how it is over there in Europe. I know they helped us out a little bit in Iraq, but pulled out as quickly as they could. We're still fighting in Afghanistan and I dont see hide nor hair of them over there. Not saying their deffinition of patriotism is different then ours. Just sayin when shit looks like its getting rough, their quick to leave.
  • bass88 - December 5, 2012 2:33 a.m.

Please forgive me for sounding dense (I'm slightly autistic). I'm just trying to understand how you find it disrespectful. You said you understand the artistic implications of the image so I'd assume that means you wouldn't find it disrespectful. Look, if I am annoying you constantly with this just tell me to stop (you can private message me if you want) and I will. I'm sincere in these posts and I really don't want to cause offence. P.S. I don't like the flag burning either. It comes across as a.lazy way of saying "Oh, look, America is falling." It may have worked better if it simply wasn't behind a generic action pose. P.P.S The UK is still in Afghanistan, but not for long: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20357396 And the families of these people will be sure glad to know that their efforts were insignificant in comparison to the US efforts: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10629358
  • zombi3grim - December 5, 2012 8:38 a.m.

Its very hard to explain why it bothers me. You really have to serve to understand it. When I said I get WHY they did it, I didnt mean they SHOULD have done it. They could have put a little more thought, especially featuring that prominently on the cover of their game. As far as the UK being in Afghanistan, I know their still there. You just dont see them. They stay in the green zone and are basically the USA's secretaries. They really dont do any combat now over there. And for their families, hey, Im sorry, but it seemed to me the entire point of them going over there was just so they could say they went and not to really DO anything.
  • bass88 - December 5, 2012 10:56 a.m.

Thanks for your response. I'll leave it at that. I'm sure you're sick of talking about it now. As for British soldiers, I'm sure they're just hiding from the US troops in case this happens again: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/22/american-troops-friendly-fire-iraq? P.S. Best wishes to your brother.
  • zombi3grim - December 5, 2012 1:22 p.m.

No problem. Take it from someone who has been there. Half of what the media says about shit overseas is not true and exageratted.
  • wesley-simmons - December 3, 2012 7:16 a.m.

It's impossible to bring up a subject like this without stepping on a few toes. It sucks that you're offended, but they're not condoning the burning of American flags or siding with any terrorists. The studio is merely trying to bring attention to a particular issue.
  • alex-roy-bristol - December 3, 2012 7:34 a.m.

That's a legit complaint, and I would also like to personally thank you for your and your family's contribution to our freedom! Thanks bro! :J
  • Gavo - December 3, 2012 6:06 a.m.

Sure, the box art looks a bit generic, sure, they could have emphasized that it has a female co-lead and is about a city in a sky, and not have the cover be Uncharted reversed. But it's not bad. Not mind-blowingly amazing, but not bad. But speaking as a PC gamer, I can count on one hand the physical games I've purchased in the last 5/6 years (2, that being Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2), but that was more sentimental than anything. I rarely even see box art anymore, it just doesn't really matter.
  • Mooshon - December 3, 2012 6:03 a.m.

Very disappointing. Safe and generic when it could have been so spectacular given the source material. Saying that, companies aren't stupid so this is what the mass market must respond to sadly.
  • ultimatepunchrod - December 3, 2012 5:47 a.m.

I think it looks fine, but box art never really gets me excited unless it's amazing. I can dig this, but seeing as how it will spend a lot of time on my shelf and not on display, I would be okay with anything. I just want the game!
  • winner2 - December 3, 2012 5:37 a.m.

Game's gonna be all kinds of awesome, that's all that really matters. But out of respect and appreciation for the artist team behind this, I do like the cover. I would just focus more on the sky and the logo than the protagonist. But wow... I just really let sink in the release date. Can't wait.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - December 3, 2012 4:32 a.m.

If you saw this from a distance, you'd think it was the cover of Wii Carnival Games
  • bass88 - December 3, 2012 4:38 a.m.

Oh, dear God, you're right!
  • hestar - December 3, 2012 4:19 a.m.

It looks a little to generic for me honestly..Seriously,It looks like just like other FPS shooter covers (cod games,Bf3)
  • StrayGator - December 3, 2012 4:16 a.m.

Uncharted: The Call of Steampunk.
  • CitizenWolfie - December 3, 2012 4:13 a.m.

Personally I don't see anything "wrong" with it as such, but it looks very similar to the CoD/Battlefield type box art (even down to the orange sparks in the foreground). Given the series' track record I'm guessing the only thing it has in common with those games is a FPS camera. As bass88 says, surely a focus on the city would make more sense. Or failing that, stick to the usual Bioshock theme of having one of the Big Daddy type creatures as the cover star (like the Songbird for example)