• CrKnight - January 23, 2014 4:36 p.m.

Nintendo needs to improve their Virtual Console on both the Wii U and the 3DS. The Wii had a multitude of games on the Virtual console within the first two years including N64 games. 2 years into the Wii U and there's only SNES and NES games available. There's a large number of popular SNES and NES games that aren't available as well (SMB3 ahem). The 3DS could also use the GBA games that have been teasing us since the Ambassador's Program. The price of these games is brought up as an issue, but I don't think the prices need to be changed. What should be changed is make the games cross platform between Wii U and 3DS. There's a good number of games available on both and now that the Nintendo ID links the two, their eShop purchases should cross over as well. While it doesn't change the price, it does give the consumer more for their money and more confidence in their purchase. I doubt there's a lot of people who bought two copies of the same game anyway so not many lost sales there.
  • SomeOddGuy - January 23, 2014 8 p.m.

I actually would like to point out that for the Wii U has been on the market for only a little over a year, but I am still miffed by how shoddy they've been handling their releases when even the Wii in its first year saw a stunning release library in its first year, having 2 to 3 games released weekly at a time for a few years. I'm even MORE insulted when I look at the Japanese website for their Virtual Console listing, and they have most of the FF games, tons of other RPGs, and many many more titles that could easily match the US release numbers almost 2 to 1. THEY ONLY STARTED RELEASING VC GAME IN APRIL THERE!
  • CrKnight - January 23, 2014 8:34 p.m.

Oops my bad on the dates. Correction: This far into the Wii's lifespan (end of January 2008), the Wii had almost 200 Virtual Console games available from 6 different consoles (NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, TurboGrafx, and Neo Geo). They still need to improve their Virtual Console big time.
  • universaltofu - January 23, 2014 4:04 p.m.

Fire their marketing team, not that there aren't things the Wii U could be doing better in so many respects, but simply marketing it better would be a cheaper solution with a potentially huge impact if successful. I'm reminded of an Arrested Development outtake where David Cross goes off about firing the marketing team that can't produce better ratings for a show with so many accolades and critical praise.
  • Outofmanyone - January 23, 2014 4:18 p.m.

Bingo, aside from this past Holiday season, I do not remember seeing ONE commercial for the Wii U during last year, let alone seeing ads for it the way PS4 and Xbox One have been going at it. Who's going to purchase a console if they don't even know it exist? My uncle thought he could buy a Wii U tablet and use it on his Wii.. I was like yeah, that's not gonna work..
  • GOD - January 23, 2014 4:26 p.m.

I've pushed this same idea many a time before and they've done nothing to change this besides some Wii Fit U(?) ads that are marketing to completely the wrong audience. They don't necessarily have to be fired, just need to actually start marketing.
  • Aquasol - January 23, 2014 11:46 p.m.

Considering how they spent the past year, did they even -have- a marketing team? The best they could seem to think of was releasing some fliers, instead of calling it "the next generation" or doing or saying anything at all that wasn't hesitant.
  • Vonter - January 23, 2014 3:43 p.m.

IMO a short term thing they should do is port whatever they can of the Wii's VC at least to pad droughts a bit. It seems odd and complicated the way they're leaving a quite big library of old games gathering dust on the Wii emulator.
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 23, 2014 3:43 p.m.

Nintendo's solution will likely be none of these, which is why we and our simple solutions don't work for Nintendo. But I still think the gamepad-less Wii U is the most sensible of those suggested here, even if you're right that they won't do it.
  • Talvari - January 23, 2014 3:30 p.m.

It's definitely a tough spot they're in right now, and here's hoping that the next Nintendo Direct will bring some news that will maybe blow us all away. I still think selling the Wii U without gamepad and instead a pro controller would be neat, but it won't happen like the article states :/
  • GOD - January 23, 2014 3:20 p.m.

Great article that points out why people's "simple" solutions make no sense. And even though most games haven't added anything to make the gamepad necessary as a second screen while playing, it is invaluable to me because every game I have I can play solely off of the gamepad alone, and don't ever have to turn on the TV to play. That really is a game changer to me. It's just super convenient. It's HD console graphics on the largest handheld screen ever with a full controller plus touchscreen all in a lightweight handheld form. It's beyond convenient and comfortable.
  • masterjoe123 - January 23, 2014 4:34 p.m.

Yes! This is exactly why the gamepad is the greatest thing ever. I can play pikmin from anywhere in my house, not just in front of the TV.
  • shawksta - January 23, 2014 8:16 p.m.

People who throw off the gamepad clearly didnt use the nice features, i love the Of TV play, LOVE IT
  • GOD - January 23, 2014 8:20 p.m.

I think most people who are asking them to sell it without a gamepad don't own a WiiU. These people always talk about how they're no games that really use it, but anyone who owns a WiiU knows how amazing the gamepad is. Even Tom Magrino acknowledges how amazing it is now that he's actually used it!!!!
  • shawksta - January 23, 2014 8:57 p.m.

EXACTLY