• craig-hill - August 17, 2012 12:49 a.m.

I don't hate this list, but I did think you were having a laugh a little too often. Since when did Sonic CD get good past it's opening cutscene? The spin dash is broken and the peel out is given use because of it, which would be okay if the levels weren't slapped together at random... collision chaos is THE worst level of all time for it's poorly designed assets, most memorably the pinball flippers that don't work when you need them too. Plus sonic adventure 2 is every dreamcast and gamecube players dream, and sonic adventure (on the dreamcast version) had really bad load times and unskippable cutscenes, where as sonic adventure 2 was straight in and always action packed.
  • T.K. The Hedgehog - August 17, 2012 1:35 a.m.

the fact that they left out sonic adventure 2 entirely...makes this article null and void. :D c ya!! *speeds off.*
  • robertvilla1 - August 17, 2012 2:12 a.m.

the only sonic games should be on this list r the 2-D ones and classic sonic levels of generations becuse that the 2-d parts could been the who game by its self.
  • christopher-gardiner - August 17, 2012 4:19 a.m.

what? Where's Sonic Adventure 2? the best sonic game EVER!!! ok actually its the second best sonic game ever, sonic 3 and knuckles is my favorite
  • zombi3grim - August 17, 2012 6:26 a.m.

I saw this and I was like "How can they make a list with only 4 games?
  • into the sound - August 17, 2012 7:58 a.m.

I got a Sega Genesis when I was like 6. Sonic & Knuckles was the first game I got. Loved it.
  • optimisticcynic - August 17, 2012 10:20 a.m.

I would also vote that sonic adventure two was much better then either of the 3D games mentioned and better then most other games on the list. though I will admit it is not as good as sonic 2 it should be second or third game on the list
  • slimjim441 - August 17, 2012 1:08 p.m.

Stop whining about Adventure 2. That game was awful whether you believe it or not.
  • jack-roletter - August 17, 2012 1:43 p.m.

Well, obviously not if your're the only one who says so. I can guarantee you that Sonic Adventure 2 is the most Fan Backed Sonic game out there to date. I can see why it wasn't up there, it didn't have any dramatic impacting innovations. It was simply an upgrade from a good game that had all the same gameplay, but took out all of the pointless bits such as the world, Fishing, and a hard to understand story. It even had a multiplayer function that was actually fun to play and wasn't completely one-sided in terms of competition. Also, if you were a fan of it, the chao garden was easily twice as large in terms of what you could do with your chao. And that is why Sonic Adventure 2 is superior to Adventure 1. Are you happy that there is actually a reason why?
  • slimjim441 - August 17, 2012 2:17 p.m.

I never said it wasn't as good as Adventure 1. I hate them both; 1 was worse; neither was good.
  • SonicTheBlueBlur2 - August 2, 2013 7:48 a.m.

Hating Sonic Adventure (1 or 2) is like hating Sonic 3 & Knuckles. You're a dumbass, and you should stop playing Sonic games and go hang yourself. Also, delete your GamesRadar account so people don't have to suffer any more of your ill-informed comments.
  • slimjim441 - August 2, 2013 8:27 a.m.

a) Don't tell me how to live my life. b) A hatred for Sonic adventure equating to a hatred of Sonic 3 is about as sensical as saying 'Hating Mario 2 is like hating Super Mario World.' False. The games have nothing in common save the namesake and characters, the former being a pile of feces so poor an excuse for a Mario title, it wasn't even a Mario game in Japan, and the latter being a legitimate Mario game. Same goes for Sonic 3 v Adventure. c) This was from over a year ago. why are you even still commenting here? d) Seriously, the Sonic Adventure games really aren't that good. Why do people get so butthurt about it?
  • Alienrun - January 16, 2014 8:31 p.m.

hey um why exacly do you hate sonic adventure 1 & 2? its not that I dont agree with you Im just REALLY CURIOUS as to why! I havent played them either, everyone keeps telling me "adventure 2 is the best" but Im a bit dubios about that. Anyways please respond! P.S. ROCKMAN IS AWSOME/EPIC!!!! NICE PIC! :)
  • slimjim441 - January 17, 2014 12:43 a.m.

I guess I don't hate the Adventure games, but I definitely don't enjoy them in the slightest. I saw the Sonic Adventure series as the herald to a new generation of Sonic rubbish where gameplay felt as clumsy as 3D Blast, they tried putting some seriously devious plot to Robotnik's... err... plots, and we saw way too much focus on characters like Amy, Big, and Rouge, and a myriad of other characters you didn't even know that you didn't give two hoots about. And when I say 'way too much focus' regarding these characters, I really mean to say 'why is anyone but Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Robotnik even in the game?' What it really boils down to is this: Sonic Adventure, while an interesting concept, set the bar for Sonic games requiring copious amounts of critter pals, overly complicated plots, and half-baked gameplay. If Sonic had stuck to its core like Mario did, we'd have two outstanding platformer series out there to love. Sure, we'd know what's coming every time; it'd be the same old 'Robotnik's at it again with some crazy egg-themed contraptions!' but, just like Mario, we'd never have to worry that the game might be shite. Unless it's Sunshine. Hmm, I guess Gamecube didn't treat either of them well, did it?
  • Alienrun - January 26, 2014 7:44 p.m.

it seems like we both issues with the story and style considering ive seen 2 full playthroughs of the game (im actually going to play the game for the first time right after im done posting this just to prove im not being biased) even if they are different adding characters isn't bad if its done right unfortunately for Adventure it wasn't really good either, Adventure decided to focus more on characterization which is a good thing but at a cost sacrificed enviorment style, Sonic used to be in an fantasy world and now is forced to be in a modern city consideringly clasing with the story of the 16 bit games speaking of which the genesis games have a much more complex story than most people know about, and im not just talking about making up a backstory as You go, look up the japaneese manuals for the 16 bit games and see that each game has a unique prologue introducing new concepts involving character interactions and actual dialoug (the only "classic" game in which the story is ovious from the get-go is Sonic CD) now you might be thinking "I don't give a dam about characterization" but consider that back during the 90's Sonic's character was just being "kewl, hip, and speedy" if he remained that way during his more authentic games he would literatly be a Mario clone, a mindless character with no soul, Sega wanted Sonic to be an "icon of gaming IN GENERAL (not just 16-bit gaming)" that way being a "sonic fan" would not have to rely on nostaltia (which is not bad but a game shouldn't just do that ALONE!) All this is an unimprovement in my opinion but that doesn't mean its bad it just "ruined sonic" in a way, on top of that I wouldn't call any of this reasoning to justify this game as "bad or unenjoyable" what I wanted to know about was THE GAMEPLAY! ive heard that the game is EXTREMLY AGILE (which is something you have to apreaciate just a little) and the level design is pretty complex (just like Sonic CD MY FAVORITE SONIC GAME!!!!) I don't know what you mean by this game being "clumsy as 3D Blast" I HATED THAT GAME FOR ITS RIDICULOSLY SIMPLE LEVEL DESIGN AND IS REALLY EASY I highly dought Adventure was that bad (espcacily considering I liked 2006 better) also I like complex level design difficulty AND story plus I prefer serious story over cartoony story (which kills new Mario games for me) consider that adventure 1 and 2 were the first 3D sonic games and they were very highly acclaimed (and good) for there time (and I don't belive in that BS of games "aging" so anyways explain why the gameplay is bad since I haven't actually played it (if I liked 2006 I should like adventure 1 and 2) P.S. have you played I Wanna Be The Guy its very hard and fun and free to download for PC you should definitely try it! :)
  • SonicTheBlueBlur2 - August 2, 2013 7:49 a.m.

Hating Sonic Adventure (1 or 2) is like hating Sonic 3 & Knuckles. You're a dn idiot, and you should stop playing Sonic games and go hang yourself. Also, delete your GamesRadar account so people don't have to suffer any more of your ill-informed comments.
  • SONICFAN11LUV - August 17, 2012 2:03 p.m.

I really think Sonic Adventure 2 was the best. That was the introduction of Shadow, one of the more popular Sonic characters(I saw on a website somewhere Shadow was the 25th favorite video game character of all time). In the storyline, Eggman had a gun up to Amy, then almost killed Sonic! Uhhh, what's not to be excited about? Wasn't this the game with the big truck chasing him, too? Just a thought. Why wasn't SA2 up there?
  • jacob-sutcliffe - August 17, 2012 8:01 p.m.

i totally agree SA2 was the best sonic game by far.. was disappointed it didnt make the cut.
  • kieran-luke-tolson - August 17, 2012 5:14 p.m.

Well in my opinion, i thought Sonic Unleashed was absolutely mind-blowing and by far the best? apart from themedals everything about the game was incredible :)And sonic heroes SHOULD NOT be 9th......... what the hell man that game was crazy!
  • Nikku7 - August 18, 2012 2:47 a.m.

I personally like Sonic CD was the best. The level design seemed to take what was started in Sonic 2 and just make it that much better. For as good and inventive as boss fights were in Sonic 2, Sonic CD just took so many more risks with them, and I feel like ultimately it payed off. And seriously? Sonic Adventure 2, people? I mean it was ok, don't get me wrong, but the best? Am I the only one who remembers the lame ass robotnik/tails missions in which you trudged along in a robot and shot guided missiles at enemies? Those were terrible. The best part of the entire game was the first level. And on a different note, I actually agree with Sonic Heros. The team system gave it more depth and the gameplay was actually pretty tight for the most part. I actually enjoyed that one more than most 3D sonic games.