Topics

Best games

• BladedFalcon - December 13, 2013 8:12 p.m.

o.O Holy shit... for real guys? *jaw is dropped* YAY!!!! I mean- I love this site, but trough the year and listening to the podcasts, and the fact that there was never a spoilercast made for The Last of Us, I had felt as if the team here didn't seem to care or appreciate the game that much. I certainly felt as if they had talked more about Bioshock infinite, Tomb Raider, or GTA V. So to see you guys picking this game as the best of the year, resonating with what I felt as well, it makes me feel really happy and pleasantly surprised! ^^ For the record, I love you guys and I love this site, EVEN if you had picked Gone Home as your Game of the Year :P So keep it up guys! here's to more great years for gaming, and to rant it out with both the editors and the community here! :D
  • GR_SophiaTong - December 13, 2013 9:48 p.m.

Thanks Bladedfalcon! Spoiler casts depend on who completed it within the week. Game was intense so it took some people awhile. Or for me it did. :p
  • BladedFalcon - December 13, 2013 10:33 p.m.

Hahaha, alright, fair enough ^^ The important thing is that you guys were able to complete it and appreciate it eventually.... Though hey, even if late, I wouldn't mind listening to that spoilercast :P
  • zombi3grim - December 13, 2013 10:04 p.m.

The fact that your STILL here, with the same name and picture and you still post on every single article, says a lot about you. I'm sure you don't remember me, but I pretty much stopped coming here when they redid the entire site....
  • BladedFalcon - December 13, 2013 10:30 p.m.

It may, yet I don't pay it no mind, I just enjoy my time here. And dude, you serious? you're kinda hard to forget :P Even if it's been a while, you had a very... distinctive opinion and way to express yourself. And well, even if we've had our share of disagreements, nice to see you popping up again, specially so without slinging insults at each other anymore ^^
  • Redeater - December 13, 2013 8:11 p.m.

Good for you guys to put Gone Home on this list.When people talk garbage about that game I don't feel anger I actually feel bad for them. 2013: Arguably the best year ever for games. I would also argue that with TLOU and Gone Home we have finally crossed the line where it can no longer be doubted that games can tell a mature story as well as any book or movie.
  • The_Tingler - December 14, 2013 4:42 a.m.

I loved every minute of that game. I loved how it hinted at supernatural occurrences that never materialised, keeping the fears very real instead.
  • GR_ZachBetka - December 14, 2013 5:14 a.m.

Completely agree, this year definitely passed a threshold for narrative in games,
  • TheGooseinator - December 13, 2013 6:52 p.m.

Absolutely ecstatic that The Last of Us came out on top! Also, never expected to see Tomb Raider that high, but I give immense props to the staff for representing such an underappreciated game. Looking forward to another console generation with the best gaming website on the internet:) Happy 2013 everybody!!!
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - December 13, 2013 8 p.m.

Thanks, happy 2013 to you as well! What an awesome year for games.
  • Shigeruken - December 13, 2013 6:08 p.m.

Solid agree on the last of us taking number one. Man, that was a great experience. I do think that Battlefield 4 shouldn't be so high on the list, as fun as it is to play, I don't feel like it's a BF3 map pack for the most part. I might just be a little sour because the destruction still isn't as good as it was in Bad Company 2. I miss blowing through any wall in the game to escape a firefight.
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - December 13, 2013 5:44 p.m.

fire emblem GOTY
  • supaMcnugget - December 13, 2013 5:10 p.m.

........no Ni No Kuni?
  • codystovall - December 13, 2013 7:02 p.m.

No no ni no kuni.
  • Endorphinated25x - December 13, 2013 4:57 p.m.

Best action should go to the Last of Us and and best adventure should go to AC4. DMC is just a no-no.
  • CoryRX8 - December 13, 2013 5:41 p.m.

On top of that, if we're keeping narrowing things down to character action games, I don't know a single person who played both games who didn't prefer Metal Gear Rising over DmC. Personally I found DmC too simplistic and dumbed-down to be much fun. MGR is accessible enough for beginners while offering enough depth to keep me entertained for its entire runtime.
  • Cyberninja - December 13, 2013 5:55 p.m.

I played the demo of DmC, it made want the game, I tried the demo for MGR, it didn't do it for. suffice to see I own DmC and not MGR.
  • Danomeon - December 15, 2013 10:51 a.m.

I didn't prefer Metal Gear Rising over DMC. Here's why... -The game was wayyy too short! I felt like I wasted my money on that thing. It starts off with some lengthy levels, then tricks you by making the last few super short. The New Game Plus options that were abundant in DMC were lacking in MGR, as well. Also, the Virtual Reality modes that did try to lend some replayability to the game all took place in mega-boring training level environments. -The camera was far too wonky in the high-intensity moments. Fighting those gorilla enemies that would leap all over the room was a nightmare, so many times I found my camera getting plowed into a wall or thrown into chaos. The worst part was that the lockon system was essentially useless on top of it. -The environments in that game were so lifeless and boring. Loads of grey walls, bland sewer levels, average-looking cities without color, and snooze-fest laboratories. On top of that, one level's environment is actually just another level's environment backwards. That's a big deal when you're getting less than 10 levels.
  • codystovall - December 13, 2013 7:01 p.m.

Dmc rulez, Last of us droolz
  • supergiraffe - December 13, 2013 4:45 p.m.

I'm disappointed with how few of these I've played, but the ones I did ranked high.
  • codystovall - December 13, 2013 4:27 p.m.

At least Dmc, pokemon and animal crossing made the list and Im pettily happy infinite wasnt 1st, all in all a good day.
  • RayPaw - December 13, 2013 4:13 p.m.

Very interesting list. 100% agreed about The Last of Us — I don't know how any serious observer of interactive entertainment could argue that anything else was even close to Naughty Dog's achievement this year. It raises the bar for the entire industry. Tomb Raider at #2 is a bold choice. By the time Lara ascended to superhero status and the game became a war of attrition against endless waves of enemies it was kind of uninspiring ... but when she's getting beat up and telling herself she has the strength to keep going, this was sublime. Great production values as well. GTA5 at #4 is an even bolder choice. The scale of the world was extremely impressive and the production values were obviously top notch ... but this one left me cold and I lost interest after 10-15 hours. Frankly I've never been much of a GTA guy so that's not unusual ... yet I couldn't put down the controller when I played Sleeping Dogs. I think it's time for Rockstar to freshen up the formula.