Topics

Best games

• Firepunch - December 13, 2013 9:57 p.m.

Hmmm, I am surprised that Metal Gear Rising didn't make this list. In my opinion that was the best character action game this year
  • BladedFalcon - December 13, 2013 11:26 p.m.

I agree, definitely liked it better than DmC, though DmC was pretty solid still. But hey, you win some, you lose some. I'm just glad their exaggerated love for Tomb Raider didn't cloud them enough to choose it as GOTY over the more deserving TLOU.
  • universaltofu - December 14, 2013 2:09 a.m.

Blade mode is perhaps one of the greatest things ever, though I liked DMC better overall, but only slightly.
  • BladedFalcon - December 14, 2013 5:29 a.m.

That's fine, in truth, I think both games are pretty good, but MGR wins it for me not just because of blade mode, but because of the kickass soundtrack and most importantly, the story and world building are actually pretty good... Which is a shocker considering that most platinum games suuuuuuck in this regard. It has a LOT of cheesy and over the top moments for sure, but overall I enjoyed the story and characters far more, specially with people like bladewolf and Sen. Armstrong. DmC on the other hand I felt it had a pretty damn run of the Mill story. And New Dante simply isn't nearly as charming or cool as Capcom wanted you to think he was. Only teenagers would find his wanton cursing and flipping off to be in any way funny or awesome.
  • Firepunch - December 14, 2013 8:39 a.m.

Hell, I'm a teenager and I find New Dante cringe worthy and annoying.
  • BladedFalcon - December 14, 2013 9:31 a.m.

Tell that to Codystoval, lol.
  • RebornKusabi - December 13, 2013 9:29 p.m.

Embarrassingly my comment was posted as a reply to another post down at the bottom... well, it is again. I Agreed whole-goddamn-heartily with The Last of Us being the number 1 entry and I am glad you showed some much deserved love for Tomb Raider. I will say this has been a hell of a year for good games. Tomb Raider, Metro: Last Light, The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, Saints Row 4. Even games I have no interest in ended up being great.
  • Counterpart - December 14, 2013 7:52 a.m.

I was so amazed, and happy, that Saints Row was there. That game is a damn fine video game piece, but GTA V generated far more buzz and came out soon after (honestly, I can see why. GTA was amazing as well. Sadly most gamers dont seem to be able to comprehend the fact you can have multiple amazing games of a same genre at the same time.) The limelight was cut short for Saints Row for all but the biggest fans, and this is disappointing because of how amazing it is. Kudos to Gamesradar for giving it the props it deserved.
  • BladedFalcon - December 13, 2013 8:12 p.m.

o.O Holy shit... for real guys? *jaw is dropped* YAY!!!! I mean- I love this site, but trough the year and listening to the podcasts, and the fact that there was never a spoilercast made for The Last of Us, I had felt as if the team here didn't seem to care or appreciate the game that much. I certainly felt as if they had talked more about Bioshock infinite, Tomb Raider, or GTA V. So to see you guys picking this game as the best of the year, resonating with what I felt as well, it makes me feel really happy and pleasantly surprised! ^^ For the record, I love you guys and I love this site, EVEN if you had picked Gone Home as your Game of the Year :P So keep it up guys! here's to more great years for gaming, and to rant it out with both the editors and the community here! :D
  • universaltofu - December 13, 2013 9:25 p.m.

I think it wasn't talked about as much simply because it was the de-facto GOTY, and it's nice to not run a good thing into the ground. The game has been my primary source of ps3 jelly, even the title is so evocative, the 'Us' carries so much weight.
  • GR_SophiaTong - December 13, 2013 9:48 p.m.

Thanks Bladedfalcon! Spoiler casts depend on who completed it within the week. Game was intense so it took some people awhile. Or for me it did. :p
  • BladedFalcon - December 13, 2013 10:33 p.m.

Hahaha, alright, fair enough ^^ The important thing is that you guys were able to complete it and appreciate it eventually.... Though hey, even if late, I wouldn't mind listening to that spoilercast :P
  • zombi3grim - December 13, 2013 10:04 p.m.

The fact that your STILL here, with the same name and picture and you still post on every single article, says a lot about you. I'm sure you don't remember me, but I pretty much stopped coming here when they redid the entire site....
  • BladedFalcon - December 13, 2013 10:30 p.m.

It may, yet I don't pay it no mind, I just enjoy my time here. And dude, you serious? you're kinda hard to forget :P Even if it's been a while, you had a very... distinctive opinion and way to express yourself. And well, even if we've had our share of disagreements, nice to see you popping up again, specially so without slinging insults at each other anymore ^^
  • Redeater - December 13, 2013 8:11 p.m.

Good for you guys to put Gone Home on this list.When people talk garbage about that game I don't feel anger I actually feel bad for them. 2013: Arguably the best year ever for games. I would also argue that with TLOU and Gone Home we have finally crossed the line where it can no longer be doubted that games can tell a mature story as well as any book or movie.
  • The_Tingler - December 14, 2013 4:42 a.m.

I loved every minute of that game. I loved how it hinted at supernatural occurrences that never materialised, keeping the fears very real instead.
  • GR_ZachBetka - December 14, 2013 5:14 a.m.

Completely agree, this year definitely passed a threshold for narrative in games,
  • TheGooseinator - December 13, 2013 6:52 p.m.

Absolutely ecstatic that The Last of Us came out on top! Also, never expected to see Tomb Raider that high, but I give immense props to the staff for representing such an underappreciated game. Looking forward to another console generation with the best gaming website on the internet:) Happy 2013 everybody!!!
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - December 13, 2013 8 p.m.

Thanks, happy 2013 to you as well! What an awesome year for games.
  • Shigeruken - December 13, 2013 6:08 p.m.

Solid agree on the last of us taking number one. Man, that was a great experience. I do think that Battlefield 4 shouldn't be so high on the list, as fun as it is to play, I don't feel like it's a BF3 map pack for the most part. I might just be a little sour because the destruction still isn't as good as it was in Bad Company 2. I miss blowing through any wall in the game to escape a firefight.
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - December 13, 2013 5:44 p.m.

fire emblem GOTY
  • supaMcnugget - December 13, 2013 5:10 p.m.

........no Ni No Kuni?
  • codystovall - December 13, 2013 7:02 p.m.

No no ni no kuni.
  • Endorphinated25x - December 13, 2013 4:57 p.m.

Best action should go to the Last of Us and and best adventure should go to AC4. DMC is just a no-no.