Topics

Best games

• occasionalgoldfish - December 14, 2013 4:15 a.m.

I agree with most of the list except for DmC which I think was inferior to MGR:R. But that's just my opinion. Great list otherwise! :D
  • occasionalgoldfish - December 14, 2013 4:23 a.m.

Also, I'm happy to see Fire Emblem get some awards. Everywhere else seems to be snubbing it, which is a terrible shame.
  • Counterpart - December 14, 2013 7:45 a.m.

I think DmC was amazing. Its a shame it got poor commercial sales, because it was such an amazing reinvention. Too many people made a big deal over nothing though (his hair not being silver) and ruined the experience for themselves. The ratings and reviews were off the chart for the revival title though. While we're on the subject of revival titles though, Tomb Raider anyone?
  • Dewritos - December 14, 2013 12:21 a.m.

Gone Home is trash
  • Spartan_91 - December 14, 2013 12:13 a.m.

I cannot believe that DmC and Bioshock Infinite made it on this list. Just because a game looks good doesn't mean its a good game. I'm not hating on DmC because of the emo Dante. The game was frighteningly easy. I played it on the hardest difficulty and it felt like a medium difficulty on any other game. Bioshock Infinite was simply a huge disappointment. Elizabeth was a boring character, and the entire world of infinite was incredibly shallow and felt lifeless. Unfortunately games these days seem to follow this trend. Spending the entire time creating the pixels and making the game look shiny and good, but not working on solid story. I'm just hoping the next generation can make some solid games.
  • sephex - December 14, 2013 3:40 a.m.

Agree.
  • The_Tingler - December 14, 2013 4:39 a.m.

Disagree.
  • Counterpart - December 14, 2013 10:16 a.m.

A game can be easy and still be amazing. Pokemon's never been difficult, but thats still an amazing series. The gameplay, the characters, the plot, the controls, the soundtrack, the camera, and yes, the graphics. Those are things that are put into consideration. As for Bioshock...i'm not even going to touch upon that. If you think Bioshock, any of them, are shallow, then I fear you just missed the entire point of the franchise..and at that point there's no point in trying to debate that
  • Spartan_91 - December 21, 2013 8:34 p.m.

If you are trying to argue that Infinite's "multiverse" idea is a "deep one" then please keep buying the garbage that they spew out. I never said that the 1st two weren't good games, the first Bioshock was incredible. But infinite in comparison felt hollow. And what pray tell is the point of the whole series? that there were infinite loops? that's an old hat and a cop-out for the developers. No thanks I'll stick to the good games and leave the others to you.
  • AtotehZ - December 14, 2013 2:11 p.m.

I'm having a serious discussion with myself about whether calling Bioshock lacking in depth warrants a ban from the internet or not. You believe that earth is flat and the center of the universe as well?
  • Spartan_91 - December 21, 2013 8:42 p.m.

Look back, remember what they promised us? A great game with new enemies, new powers and excellence? what did they deliver? the same enemies over and over, the powers were limited and honestly simply not worth using. A completely predictable storyline? Now look back again further to what they made before, Bioshock brought us excellent story telling along with great gameplay. Infinite was a complete waste of time and money. Basically they promised us a game, then couldn't deliver it on time, delayed it and was put under pressure to produce, so they crapped out Infinite. It's not deep to say that there are multiple universes. If you want to believe that Infinite was the game of the year and that I should be banned from the internet then feel free, but that won't change the fact that overall the game was probably a 6/10.
  • Pwnz0r3d - December 18, 2013 12:55 p.m.

I'd argue the opposite actually; Games now want to focus on delivering a solid story (specifically FPS games) while sacrificing gameplay. I found Bioshock Infinite to be a very clunky and boring shooter. Sure the story was good, but I at least want to have fun shooting things, considering that's what the gameplay is.
  • JohnDagger - December 13, 2013 11:53 p.m.

Great list. I might have stuck Shadowrun Returns somewhere on there, but I know that game isn't for everyone.
  • The_Tingler - December 14, 2013 4:40 a.m.

I wouldn't have put it ahead of many games on this list, but it was really fun - if a bit linear.
  • Sjoeki - December 13, 2013 11:46 p.m.

Never thought Gran Turismo would make such a comeback, to be honest I wasn't even intrested that there was a new one coming out. Now I'm really thinking about giving it a try. On the other hand there is Batman: Arkham Origins, in the years that Asylum and City came out they pretty much dominated these types of lists, and now Origins isn't even mentioned. Not that it should be on the list, it just wasn't as good. Does make me wonder what Rocksteady is up to!
  • Jacko415 - December 13, 2013 10:56 p.m.

i never agree with GRs GOTY choices... meh...
  • RebornKusabi - December 13, 2013 9:29 p.m.

Embarrassingly my comment was posted as a reply to another post down at the bottom... well, it is again. I Agreed whole-goddamn-heartily with The Last of Us being the number 1 entry and I am glad you showed some much deserved love for Tomb Raider. I will say this has been a hell of a year for good games. Tomb Raider, Metro: Last Light, The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, Saints Row 4. Even games I have no interest in ended up being great.
  • Counterpart - December 14, 2013 7:52 a.m.

I was so amazed, and happy, that Saints Row was there. That game is a damn fine video game piece, but GTA V generated far more buzz and came out soon after (honestly, I can see why. GTA was amazing as well. Sadly most gamers dont seem to be able to comprehend the fact you can have multiple amazing games of a same genre at the same time.) The limelight was cut short for Saints Row for all but the biggest fans, and this is disappointing because of how amazing it is. Kudos to Gamesradar for giving it the props it deserved.
  • BladedFalcon - December 13, 2013 8:12 p.m.

o.O Holy shit... for real guys? *jaw is dropped* YAY!!!! I mean- I love this site, but trough the year and listening to the podcasts, and the fact that there was never a spoilercast made for The Last of Us, I had felt as if the team here didn't seem to care or appreciate the game that much. I certainly felt as if they had talked more about Bioshock infinite, Tomb Raider, or GTA V. So to see you guys picking this game as the best of the year, resonating with what I felt as well, it makes me feel really happy and pleasantly surprised! ^^ For the record, I love you guys and I love this site, EVEN if you had picked Gone Home as your Game of the Year :P So keep it up guys! here's to more great years for gaming, and to rant it out with both the editors and the community here! :D
  • GR_SophiaTong - December 13, 2013 9:48 p.m.

Thanks Bladedfalcon! Spoiler casts depend on who completed it within the week. Game was intense so it took some people awhile. Or for me it did. :p