Topics

Best games

• iamtheman2 - December 14, 2013 6:52 p.m.

plain and simple: #1 GTA 5 #2 Bioshock Infinite #3 The Last of Us that's it, there it is, LIVE WITH IT !!!!
  • Redeater - December 15, 2013 11:27 p.m.

Hey, GTA V was great! It was also the only game of the 3 that I didn't play through more than once. TLOU trump the other two in gameplay, story and re-playability. Live with that. :D
  • rob619 - December 14, 2013 11:21 a.m.

So glad Tomb Raider was ranked so high. One of the best games I have ever played. Fantastic, loved how it went from a dark grity story and shifted toward the otherworld during the end. Will play the next gen edition aswell :)
  • TheGreyWizard - December 14, 2013 10:04 a.m.

Tomb Raider at #2. What.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - December 14, 2013 9:24 a.m.

I disagree on Tomb Raider being number two; while I thought it was a great game, I wouldn't have put it above Bioshock or GTA. I can't judge the Last of Us either, since I don't own a PS3, and can't justify purchasing one just to play one game, no matter how good it is.
  • t_skwerl - December 14, 2013 9:02 a.m.

Thank you, GR. I thought for sure GTA 5 or Bioshock Infinite would be number 1. While those are excellent games and I'm glad they made the list, that would have been entirely predictable. The Last of Us definitely deserves the top spot.
  • Corsair89 - December 14, 2013 7:52 a.m.

2013 was a magnificent year for gaming. I would take my top 5 from this year over my GotY from last year. Here are the best games of 2013 (that I played) 5 - Battlefield 4 - Still the best online shooter series by far. 4 - Bioshock Infinite - I really don't understand the hate this game gets. The complaints usually are poorly explained and don't make a lot of sense to me. I don't know. I thought it was fun. 3 - Grand Theft Auto V - The best GTA since Vice City. After the huge letdown GTA4 was, I didn't have much hope for this. I was delighted by how good this game was and, surprisingly, how much I loved the characters Trevor and Micheal. 2 - The Last of Us - One of the best examples of storytelling gaming has yet too offer with amazing characters and great gameplay. But when I think about the best game, the one that had me the most addicted, that engaged me the most, and had me caring about the characters more than any other game, there can only be... 1 - Fire Emblem: Awakening - 300 hours. 4 playthroughs. To say I was obsessed is an understatement. This game is a dream come true for me. It's easily one of the best SRPGs ever. I haven't cared so much about my characters since the original Valkyria Chronicles. The dialog between all the characters are so well written. It was fun, funny, excited, endearing, and at times even touching. This game will be one of my favorites for a very long time. Unfortunately, I couldn't play every game this year like: Tomb Raider, Super Mario 3D World, or The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Oh, before I forget, Metal Gear Rising was way better than DmC. And Gone Home was piss poor compared to Papers, Please and Kentucky Route Zero. You have a lot to live up to 2014. Don't disappoint.
  • The_Tingler - December 14, 2013 4:44 a.m.

If Gone Home is on there (and it should be) The Stanley Parable should also get a mention. Similar, but funnier.
  • The_Tingler - December 14, 2013 4:43 a.m.

I hate whenever people talk about how great The Last Of Us is, because it's a game I'll likely never be able to play. Sigh.
  • BladedFalcon - December 14, 2013 5:31 a.m.

Surely you must know someone with a PS3? if so, ask them to lend you their PS3 for a week or two, rent the game, and presto. Sure, it will take effort, but I'd say it's worth it (:
  • The_Tingler - December 14, 2013 5:41 a.m.

Actually, no! All of my gaming friends have always been PC, Nintendo or Xbox gamers usually thanks to one game or another (GoldenEye, Halo, Counter-Strike, Smash Bros, Left 4 Dead, Mario Kart, etc) and despite being the most popular Playstation's never got a look in bizarrely. It's not just the lack of a PS3, it's the time, space, the inability to get really any "private time" with the TV anymore (which has near enough pushed me to becoming almost entirely PC-based with my gaming) and the fact that my wife would murder me if I added another console to my near-complete collection! However, I do not yet have a next-gen console and I'm living in hope that Sony will re-release Naughty Dog's output on PS4. Until then, though, no chance.
  • Counterpart - December 14, 2013 7:43 a.m.

Your wife would murder you if got something for a hobby you enjoy doing alone and with friends? That sucks man....here's hoping to the next-gen that you can enjoy too. With how successful it was, I'm sure there will eventually be a downloadable port for it on the ps4
  • The_Tingler - December 14, 2013 8:06 a.m.

I'm afraid there's just some people who just don't "get" gaming, and while my wife is utterly great she's definitely one of them. Moreover though I have to justify it to myself first - apart from Naughty Dog's output and Ni No Kuni (and maybe possibly Killzone 2 & 3) I can't think of any PS3 exclusives I desperately have to play. I'll have a new PC and a Wii U, and possibly even a Vita, before I get a PS3. The Last of Us is one of the few games that makes me seriously regret that fact though.
  • Counterpart - December 14, 2013 8:23 a.m.

I get that bro. You have my sympathy, and my regards. In reference to PS3 exclusives though, there's quite a few I can name, not to be an asshole rubbing it in your face or a fanboy ranting, but just to maybe help you out on your list of ps3 games to play. -First off is Uncharted. It is also by Naughty Dog, and a great action adventure trilogy. I could go on about this, but it's rewards and accolades do it enough justice. -Second is Infamous. An amazing sandbox that released exclusively for the PS3 around the same time as Prototype, and you could say Prototype to Infamous is what Saints Row is to GTA. Prototype is the sillier game with super powers in a free-roam world. Infamous is a deep and riveting storyline, still with superpowers, but not as outlandish or crazy over-the-top wtf lol moment producing. Again, a trilogy, though divided over two consoles, and probably looking at more future releases now with the release of Second Son. -Third is LittleBigPlanet. Casual, but endearing, oh so endearing. I am someone that is a hardcore gamer, give me a sniper in a shooter and I'll be right at home in the gritty warfare. But I cannot resist just the simple wonderful fun LittleBigPlanet brings, and honestly, a lot of people cant. I'd mention Metal Gear Solid, but I think that got ported over to the 360 or something, I don't know. You already mentioned Ni No Kuni and Killzone. There's also Twisted Metal though, an amazing game as well, though not as earth-shattering and award winning as the 3 games mentioned above in their paragraphs. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know about them, but no matter what system you get, we're all gamers in the end. More the power to ya, keep on gamin man
  • The_Tingler - December 14, 2013 10:08 a.m.

The Uncharted Trilogy is a definite (I did say "all of Naughty Dog's output"!) and another set I'm really sad not to have played. Infamous I have no interest in, ditto Prototype and Crackdown which I also snubbed. They just didn't look interesting to me, I'd only play a superhero game with a recognisable superhero. The big exception being Saints Row IV, but that's done for laughs so it gets away with it. LittleBigPlanet... no, sorry. Sweet, but I don't like games that have to rely on user content to get by, and the platforming part is done better by other games. Metal Gear Solid 4 remains a PS3 exclusive (the only one to remain Sony-only), but as I've tried to get into the series twice now (with MSG1 The Twin Snakes on GameCube and MSG3) and utterly hated it both times I won't be considering. Too many badly acted badly written overlong cutscenes and the controls made absolutely no sense. It's a game that you definitely have to started playing before you touched Splinter Cell (I'm not saying that's a better game as a whole, but I'm saying the controls are though). Plus the entire idea of cutscenes that can last over an hour makes me actually angry - games are not films, cutscenes should be short and dialogue should be brief. Play, don't show. If a developer has to rely on huge cutscenes to tell a story they shouldn't be making games. And as for Twisted Metal I don't like racing games. :P
  • DelsinRowe - December 14, 2013 10:26 a.m.

How exactly does LBP "rely on user content to get by"? Because the option is there. I own LBP 1 and 2 and have spent countless hours with my wife and family members playing both games and barely if at all using any of the UGC. Also, have you played LBP? Sounds to me like you haven't. If you haven't, how can you say that the platforming is "done better by other games"? I'd like to know which games you're talking about because MM has done a pretty damn good job with the platforming in both games and I'm hard pressed to find any games that have "done better" at it.
  • BladedFalcon - December 14, 2013 9:40 a.m.

Ahhh, well, I can definitely understand XD Truth be told, I don't own a 360 anymore, and know no one that owns one currently, so if the case had been that Microsoft had released an exclusive I felt I needed to get, I'd be screwed XD And well, yeah, in your situation, best to just get a PS4 , and if the whole thing Sony has been saying about trying to actually make backwards compatibility work somehow is true, then you SHOULD be able to get to play the game eventually (:
  • The_Tingler - December 14, 2013 9:50 a.m.

Yeah, that's my view too.