We Recommend

• Darkhawk - June 27, 2012 12:37 p.m.

Sorry, but Journey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Max Payne 3. Really? Generic (if good) action-adventure game vs. a work of art? Who's going to be talking about Max Payne 3 in 5 years, let alone 1?
  • Felixthecat - June 27, 2012 12:50 p.m.

Max Payne 3 isn't generic though, and I'd rather play a game than a "work of art".
  • Redeater - June 27, 2012 2:55 p.m.

Exactly! Aside from that comparing the two games are ridiculous. What was a better movie? City of God or The Exorcist? Also, I wouldn't judge a game by how long it is going to be remembered. Journey will be dust in the wind for your "average" gamer while titles like Call of Duty will forever be remembered as one of the biggest of all time.
  • MasterBhater - June 27, 2012 3:07 p.m.

It doesn't matter which game will be remembered. What matters is that a game is "remembered as a good game"
  • talleyXIV - June 27, 2012 5:35 p.m.

A work of art? That is like saying, "Why is Mona Lisa not on this list of the 100 greatest games ever?!" That is exactly what Journey is, a piece of art. Not a good game but a great thing to look at. People are a little too mesmerized by some strange and great graphics, but if you took away those you would have a completely embarrassing game.
  • TheVoid - June 27, 2012 8:35 p.m.

Me, for one. I'll probably be talking about Journey then too. They are both on the list - a very short list - calling out the best games of the year so far. There's room for both, so fucking relax. Journey is a GREAT game for many different reasons. Max Payne 3 is a GREAT game for many different reasons. I would also argue that Xenoblade Chronicles is an equally great game for many different reasons despite it not being on the list. There are probably others. But Max Payne 3 didn't stumble absent-mindedly onto this list. It earned it's place because it's pretty much the opposite of generic AND it's a revival of an 9 year old well-respected franchise AND it nails just about everything it sets out to accomplish. And...are you sitting down?...I would say it's every bit as much of a work of art as Journey*. But something tells me you wouldn't know that because you've probably never played Max Payne 3. Last but not least, they are one entry apart, both within the top 3. Are you honestly splitting hairs over this? *In case you find that statement utterly preposterous, consider this: a fan of art in the truest sense of the word should be able to appreciate the works of Giger as much as Degas. Or Debussey alongside Slayer. Rand and King. It doesn't matter, good art is good art, period. And Journey and Max Payne are both solid works of art.
  • GizmoMechanic - June 28, 2012 11:58 a.m.

Have you played the game "The Void" it is a very artistic game. it's super cheap. like $5-10 on Steam
  • TheVoid - June 28, 2012 6:11 p.m.

Actually I have, although the purchase nor my tag are at all related. Can't say I particularly liked The Void (having dropped $20 on it a few years back), but I will give it points for throwing something very unique/different into the ring. Admittedly I threw in the towel fairly early on - I think Fallout 3 tore it off my playlist and I haven't been back since. Maybe I'll brush it off and give it another shake, especially if it's been patched up since then (as I recall having some issues with the wonky controls). Agreed - very artsy, and by no means made for the masses. That's OK though - many of my favorite games are those that enjoy walking off the beaten path. That's probably what attracted me to The Void (and fork over the cash) even if ultimately didn't draw me in as much as I would have liked.
  • RonnyLive19881 - June 27, 2012 12:06 p.m.

1.XENOBLADE How can GR over look that masterpiece? 2.Pokemon Conquest so much content and depth 3.Kid Icarus: Uprising I expected it to flop and it ended up beating Starfox 64, Panzer Dragoon and Sin and Punishment in its genera imo... 4.Spec OPS The Line I think this is truly the best Military shooter since COD4. No bullet sponges, great story and dat sand! 5.Resident Evil Revelations it is truly the best RE since Resi 3, I wouldn't say it is better than the Gamecube remake of RE1 or Resi 2 but it beats the rest imo.
  • Tjwoods18 - June 27, 2012 3:30 p.m.

I just started to play pokemon conquest and that dam fighting kingdom keeps beating my ass. Spec ops the line is briliant in the aspect that it takes from one of the best novels that exemplified true human nature, the heart of darkness. Resident evil revelations was truly hindered by the akward shape of the 3ds.
  • RonnyLive19881 - June 27, 2012 8:43 p.m.

CCP made the game feel like any other shooter(not a bad thing in this case), what I didn't like were the missions outside the ships... the few with Chris and Jill were fine but the new characters just kind of dragged on for me. As for Spec OPS, I'm not one of those people that just plays EVERY Military shooter that comes out... last I played all the way through was MW2(I was addicted to that Lol) and to me this game blew that away at least in Single player Lol Conquest in BOSS. Such a rich game... I thought it would flop Lmao
  • Hig1134 - June 28, 2012 5:54 a.m.

"XENOBLADE How can GR over look that masterpiece?" Most gamers play more than just Nintendo...
  • Cyberninja - June 27, 2012 11:50 a.m.

My favorite games so far this year 1.Final Fantasy XIII-2 2.Kid Icrus: Uprising 3.Blazblue:CS Extend 4.Soulcalibar V 5.Touch My Katamari
  • Clovin64 - June 27, 2012 11:45 a.m.

My list: 1. Journey 2. Dragon's Dogma 3. Resident Evil Revelations 4. Mass Effect 3 5. Final Fantasy XIII-2 I'm greatly looking forward to Ass Creed 3 and Resi 6 later in the year. Wish I had a Vita so I could play Gravity Rush, but I'm skint right now. :(
  • shawksta - June 27, 2012 11:24 a.m.

Man, I need to play Mass Effect 3, because my 360 screwed over my account, forcing me to start a new one, I hesitated to play it, wanting to go through 2 (and maybe 1) to continue where last finished, but I cant find my damn disk and its not that simple to download it, too many things keep me busy. I agree with the list, my personal favorite this year is Kid Icarus Uprising, its revival of the series and newcharacters, the fantastic dialog, the plot twists in the story (Chapter 9 check mate, yfw its not even half of the game yet) Bosses, and the sweet suger that is the son-of-a-gun fatass content inherited from Kirby and Smash Bros Brawl(No joking 10/10 replay value), makes this one hell of an awesome game once you takle the controls to your fitting (Face button land camera, chapter 2 perfected for me) While its not a Top game by any means, I keep coming back to Mario Tennis Open, the series always appeal me and despite its dissapointments, this game is still addicting and enjoyable, Tense online battles with my Star Dry Bowser As for Future games, im looking forward to FarCry 3, somewhat curious for Blackops 2, Kingdom hearts DDD for sure, Weegee and PM if they are even coming this year and some others.
  • Person5 - June 27, 2012 10:34 a.m.

And yet I still view ME3 as the worst in the series. And as far is Diablo 3 is concerned? Don't worry everyone, Torchlight 2 will be out soon.
  • MetroidPrimeRib - June 27, 2012 10:32 a.m.

None of these games are really GOTY material. Weak year so far
  • ncurry2 - June 27, 2012 11:25 a.m.

I agree, but I have a feeling September 18th will turn that around.
  • talleyXIV - June 27, 2012 5:37 p.m.

Borderlands 2 is going to be fantastic good sir. And yes a very terrible year so far.
  • ncurry2 - June 28, 2012 9:10 a.m.

:D It's gonna be tough though. September 18th just so happens to be my fiance's birthday as well... Surely she'd understand if I spent the entire day playing a video game. Right?