• MysterEnygma - June 28, 2012 10:45 a.m.

Unfortunately money has been really tight this year but I gotta give my hand to Journey. Yeah it's 2 hours and a tad overpriced for that length but it's still the most memorable thing I've played this year.
  • lmaocarrots - June 28, 2012 12:58 p.m.

Hell, it's the most memorable game I've played int he past 10 years. To be perfectly honest, if I knew the experience was going to be that incredible, I wouldn't have minded spending $30 on it.
  • Fuzunga - June 28, 2012 1:49 a.m.

My favorite game so far is actually The Darkness 2. Just so... refreshing.
  • ChiChiRocket - June 27, 2012 10:50 p.m.

I bought Gravity Rush with my Vita a couple weeks ago. I have to say that it has saved me from any initial buyer's remorse I might've had about the purchase. It is a truly amazing game and, aside from fairly little to do outside missions, zipping around the open-world city is extremely fun. "Falling with style," indeed.
  • Hig1134 - June 28, 2012 5:43 a.m.

Agreed. Great game. Loving the Vita...hope it takes off a little more.
  • robotdickens - June 27, 2012 10:35 p.m.

Mass Effect 3 the best game of this year so far? Bitch please! Max Payne easily trumps that. Mass Effect was horribly dumbed down as the series went on. It's not bad, at least a 2 on this list.
  • zombi3grim - June 28, 2012 7:55 a.m.

Your so cool
  • xx_CaPTiiN_SpAiiN_zz - July 13, 2012 2:11 p.m.

*youre
  • zombi3grim - July 13, 2012 2:35 p.m.

Lmao "you're" dumbass
  • xx_CaPTiiN_SpAiiN_zz - July 14, 2012 7:55 a.m.

calm down :)
  • TheVoid - June 27, 2012 5:56 p.m.

Gonna throw some more props on Max Payne 3 here. It's the game that broke my new year's resolution of not buying any new games this year (more due to having a tremendous backlog than financial reasons, although the savings have been appreciated). In doing so I feel no regrets nor any guilt, which is something considering I paid the full $60 price (for the PC version (of course), which also unexpectedly required a ton of hard drive clean up to support it's massive TWENTY EIGHT GIG install size). But every gig used and every dollar spent has been worth it so far as I blaze my way through Max Payne 3's impressive set pieces and never-gets-old gunplay. Anyone who says "Max Payne 3 isn't really a Max Payne game" has probably never played it. It is without any doubt a worthy sequel and is possibly my favorite in the series (althought he original still holds alot of sway for me so it's at the very least better than MP2, but the grateful omission of bullshit "nightmare maze" levels from the first does inch it to the top). The change in setting is fairly justified (with some solid "nods" to Max's place of origin) and the dialogue is as "Max" as ever. Even playing as an aged/wider Max has been a real treat, further enhanced by the improved physics. While the Max from 1 and 2 was able to effortlessly dive around the room plugging baddies with the agility and grace of a John Woo protagonist, the older Max pulls off the same amazing dives (which never looked better) which now end more often than I'd like to admit with a less-than-graceful slam into a wall or file cabinet, immediately (and clumsily) dropping me to the ground, thereby employing a a new mechanic of actually having to get up without getting shot to shit in the process. It really enhances the "older Max" characterization, making it feel like he still "has it", but not quite to the extent that his younger self did. Simply put, poorly planned dives typically end poorly (and often humorously), and when you find yourself outmanned and outgunned at every turn, the opportunity to really "plan" your next action doesn't happen too often, making for some constantly-entertaining "dive first, question it later" reactions. And the ability to shoot while laid out is nice touch, along with the new "last chance" shooting mechanic. Did I mention it's tough? But fairly so. Haven't even checked out the multiplayer yet. I'm sure I will but don't really care. I haven't even beat the single player yet and already feel it's worth the $60 dropped and the 23 gig install (argueably the more painful of the two). And I'm already looking forward to playing it through again. And it's probably the most mature/violent game I've ever played, although not in a "more blood/more swearing" sort of way (although there is no shortage of blood, which is portrayed in a mostly realistic manner). Rather, name one other video game that contains a cutscene showing the main character downing one glass of booze after the next until he vomits - recognizing that action as his time-honored alert that it's offiically "time for bed" - at which point he stumbles sloppily off towards that goal, barely reaching the mark. It's fucking depressing but utterly engaging. You are in control of a very broken man who would rather be dead despite being so damn good at killing those trying to put him in his grave. The sunnier setting changes nothing in this regard - if anything it has only made Max crazier. Name another game character that fits that description. To that point, Max Payne 3 is a well-timed break from the same-old-same-old FPS military-centric alpha-male gaming that has dominated the action genre for too long. Whether a fan of the orignal or new to the series you owe it to yourself to dive into Max Payne 3 (with a gun in each hand, of course). Welcome back Mr. Payne.
  • Redeater - June 27, 2012 7:14 p.m.

That was a great read! "poorly planned dives typically end poorly (and often humorously)", yes....yes they do. It took me quite a while to get the hang of the dive mechanics. I just hope that this game sold better than what they were indicating. While MP finished on an actual happy note and doesn't actually need continuation I would love to play MP4. Few games have production values like it did. (Kane and Lynch:DD tried to and look how that turned out)
  • TheVoid - June 27, 2012 8:08 p.m.

It pains me to hear it's not selling particularly well - admittedly I don't follow that side of gaming as much as I should. That likely shooting any chance of a Max Payne 4 in the head aside, it's shame enough that low sales for Max Payne 3 basically means it isn't getting the love or attention it truly deserves. It seems to be reviewing well, it's graphics are top shelf, the action never wears thin, the story is remarkable and the controls are tight. Not to mention there hasn't been a AAA title (other than Diablo 3) released around the same time to compete for gaming dollars, it's the beginning of summer (a good enough excuse as any to reach for a new game) and it's available on all platforms. What the fuck do people want? Is Max Payne really slated to join the ranks of well-reviewed but poor-sale cult favs like Okami (you're welcome, GamesRadar) and Psychonauts? Max Payne has everything anyone would expect from a mature AAA title. Not even sure how it could fail, even if that appears to be the case. Anyhoo - you make a good point regarding Kane and Lynch. While the two series do have things in common, Max's gameplay trumps K&L by leaps and bounds (complete with crashes through plate-glass windows and head concussions against soda machines). But equally important I think is the fact that neither Kane nor Lynch were particularly likable. Interesting, sure, but not likable. Max, on the other hand, despite being so broken and battered, is a nice guy deep down. There's still a light in there, somewhere. It makes you root for him. You want him to win, or at the very least find some peace in his life. You want him to drop that world of pain he carries around with him without leaning so heavily on booze and drugs to get there. And you definitely don't want the type of "rest" that is granted by a bullet between the eyes. Or a shotgun in his mouth. Shit Max, why aren't you flying off the shelves?
  • talleyXIV - June 28, 2012 10:27 a.m.

It is a Rockstar game, even if it doesn't sell well, they can still make a sequel. They are a huge publisher/developer. I don't think Red Dead Redemption sold well for a couple of months. I don't think Max Payne is selling as bad as you say?
  • Cyberninja - June 27, 2012 4:37 p.m.

My only question is that why is Max Payne 3 the only 10 point/5 star game but is lower than a 4.5 star game?r
  • talleyXIV - June 27, 2012 5:29 p.m.

Gamesradar also gives game of the year to games that get 9/10 too when that year had many 10/10. 2007: I don't remember. 2008: Fallout 3 won. 9/10 2009: Arkham Asylum won. 9/10 2010: Red Dead Redemption won. 9/10 2011: Skyrim won. Actually had 10/10 Gamesradar works in mysterious ways. They finally broke their odd streak though.
  • GR HollanderCooper - June 27, 2012 5:46 p.m.

Actually Portal 2 won last year, not Skyrim. It did get a 10, though.
  • talleyXIV - June 28, 2012 10:21 a.m.

Ahh, my mistake. But that wasn't the point. I was pointing out that you guys broke your streak of giving games that got a 9/10 game of the year.
  • ncurry2 - June 28, 2012 9:04 a.m.

You just got Coopered, bi%^h!
  • winner2 - June 28, 2012 7:09 p.m.

Lol'd
  • taokaka - June 27, 2012 4:08 p.m.

My list 1. Gravity Rush 2. Journey 3. Mass Effect 3 4. Blazblue Continuum shift extend 5. Final Fantasy XIII-2 6. Street Fighter X Tekken 7. Wipeout 2048 8. Super Stardust Delta 9. Rhythm Thief 10. Kid Icarus This years been good so far but I don't see many games coming out later in the year that have me very excited just Tekken, Sleeping Dogs and Dishonoured.