• Vincent Wolf - December 19, 2012 2:42 a.m.

Again some shit on first spot, when it clearly goes to Halo-4 without even any doubt. I think you ppl just trying to be original or something... It doesn't works.
  • Divine Paladin - December 29, 2012 11:56 a.m.

Only one FPS series has ever been worthy of Game of the Year, and everybody's been waiting years for the next chapter.
  • Dauthi693 - December 31, 2012 1:49 a.m.

After Doom 3 and Rage i'm not so sure about Doom 4
  • The_Tingler - December 30, 2012 11:55 a.m.

You DID listen to that Talkradar episode that talked about the Halo Reach review, didn't you? If not, you should, then start playing some other games.
  • carlos5577 - December 19, 2012 1:36 a.m.

Other than far cry 3 for GOTY, I agree with the walking dead taking its place. Though we need to determine what constitutes as a game. A "video game" is a broad term when you think about it. Though there weren't a lot of extraordinary titles this year. Most them were a let down save for a few like dishonored and far cry 3. A lot of the highly anticipated AAA games were disappointing. ME3 had a horrific ending that left a bad taste in people's mouth, halo 4 was same old play it safe, Max Payne 3 had too many cut scenes and linear level design, AC# had a mediocre story and character. I'm surprised that some games didn't make it either like Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, and Journey (the so called hipster choice) at least for nominations.
  • codzprc - December 19, 2012 1:25 a.m.

I've played and finished both Walking Dead and Far Cry 3, prior to your (GR's) GOTY announcement - Maybe I'm missing something but Far Cry 3 is leaps and bounds better than The Walking Dead. You can't sight either for being overly creative, but the fun factor of Far Cry heavily outweighs the point&click nostalgia of the Walking Dead. I saw that someone said on facebook that GR is a bunch of 'sellouts' since you picked The Walking Dead for GOTY, but that would have happened no matter what you picked - There was a Halo and AC game this year, so fanboys were out in force. Ballsy choice. I would do anything to protect Caroline, but it's much more fun setting traps around outposts.
  • Ace123 - December 18, 2012 10:30 p.m.

I don't get how this has won here a number of other places. I understand its a great story and all the great stuff about how it's good episodic content so it's good for the industry and all the other BS. But when it comes to GAMEplay this added literally nothing to GAMES. You can play it on an iPad just as we'll as a on a console. It should definitely win awards for its choice driven story and its innovation in being released episodically but it's lack of any real gameplay should exclude it from game of the year.
  • Divine Paladin - December 29, 2012 12:01 p.m.

The fact that it works on other media means that it doesn't deserve Game of the Year? Sometimes a game doesn't need fantastic gameplay to be fantastic. Also, if you don't think that the many QTEs that make you feel incredibly tense are good gameplay, that's your problem.
  • nintendo365 - December 18, 2012 6:04 p.m.

Walking Dead? That game had JUST enough actual button pressing to be a game. It was really an animated book with interactive sequences. Good story, GREAT story, but the gameplay was a bit lacking. And how have Borderlands 2, Kid Icarus or even Black Ops 2 not made this list? Questionable choices GR, veeeeery questionable choices.
  • Divine Paladin - December 29, 2012 12:03 p.m.

Borderlands 2 was more of the same, Kid Icarus had its problems and was passed by other 3DS games this year alone, and Black Ops 2 wasn't really all that great (though it was better than previous ones). Considering WD is almost unanimously GotY, I don't think it's really all that questionable.
  • nintendo365 - December 30, 2012 7:47 p.m.

I really seriously doubt that youve played through both Borderlands games. If you did, you would already know how stupid you sound by saying it was "More of the same". Your argument about Kid Icarus is invalid, sales dont match quality. Just because it sold less doesnt make it the worse game. And even ratings wise, GR itself gave Resident Evil a 4, Crashmo a 3.5, Scribblenauts Unlimited a 3 and Kid Icarus a 4.5. As for Black ops 2, all of the games in the list got 4.5 or better reviews, and so did Black Ops 2. It meets the standards just like all the others, so why wasnt it included too? Thats why I say there were questionable choices made here.
  • Elard621 - December 18, 2012 2:31 p.m.

I don´t agree completely with the ¨reviews doesn´t matter¨ statement. Usually, games above 9.3/10 are nominees for Game of the Year, and they become symbols of a gaming generation. Still, above that score, the statement becomes a fact. Otherwise, Super Mario Galaxy 2 would have won in 2010 (superb game, but a too similar sequel to the previous masterpiece)
  • RonnyLive19881 - December 18, 2012 1:35 p.m.

Shocked that Borderlands 2 and Paper Mario Sticker Star are not on here. Really glad to see Walking Dead win though. I REALLY hope the game has another run next year! We may see this episodic series win game of the year many times to come.
  • ThundaGawd - December 18, 2012 1 p.m.

My vote would go to either Dishonored of Max Payne 3 (Borderlands 2 was a hell of a lot of fun as well), The Walking Dead was good and it definitely deserved a mention in my opinion, but it felt too much like a visual novel/interactive movie than an actual game, but to each their own.
  • Pruman - December 18, 2012 11:08 a.m.

Sorry, but I refuse on pure principle to give The Walking Dead a shot. Zombie games are the new WWII games, and I am so incredibly *bleep*ing sick of zombies it's unreal. Notwithstanding Left 4 Dead's special infected, zombies are the most boring video game enemy ever. Also, every damn game out there now either has a zombie mod or zombie DLC incoming, and I still have not forgiven them for ruining Gears of War 3 ("Enemies who act intelligently and can actually give me a stand-up fight that I'll feel awesome about after winning? Nah, I'd rather just mow down dumb meatbags who run straight at me and can only actually beat me if I run out of ammo.") Zombie games, PLEASE die...and don't rise again!
  • Draconilla - December 18, 2012 9:08 a.m.

While I haven't played most of these games, I will say one thing on ME The first had the best gameplay, by far, because it was an RPG with shooting elements, since two, it's been a shooter/conversation simulator with RPG elements. moving on, I'd say the game that benefited the industry the most this year was Spec Ops, not only because it effectively told a horror story grounded entirely in reality, but also because it is one of the few games released this year that are truly "Mature." It was rated M for blood, gore, swearing etc. yes. but it is also a game that you really do need a mature mentality to understand. It's horrible, terrifying, and most of all, REAL. but for pure gameplay fun? my GOTY is probably Kid Icarus Uprising... I was laughing start to finish and the controls didn't bother me much.
  • Kerime - December 18, 2012 7:25 a.m.

I have Walking dead for my xbox staring at me in the face. can't wait to finish finals to explore this game.
  • Hobogonigal - December 18, 2012 3:28 a.m.

Just been playing Far Cry 3 and I would have to say that it is my choice for game of the year. I just love the combat as I slide around enemies out of their view, sneak in for a silent takedown then push them forwards using their grenade to blow them to bits. The guns look great, the world looks great and even the characters look great. I guess I'll have to at least try the walking Dead. Also, it is rather ironic that you say 'In a world of increasingly grey, increasingly narrow shooters, Halo stands firm as a proud guardian of the old(ish) ways' and then put one of the dullest screenshots for its photo. :/
  • crazor89 - December 18, 2012 3:10 a.m.

Reading this has made me realize how much of a backlog I've accumulated this year, from this list I've only played Mass Effect 3. I spent most of this year catching up on the best games of last year and it looks like I'll be spending 2013 catching up on the best games of 2012....Will the cycle never end?!!