Topics

Bad habit

• Rambo 11 - December 2, 2012 8:03 p.m.

Just one game has wrecked my efforts for ammo conservation in survival horror games and that's Dead Space. Since I played the first one I've been paranoid of in game corpses and end up shooting any that I see in case they aren't really dead. Of course it doesn't help when games like Resi6 where corpses can't take any damage until they reanimate or are triggered.
  • CountRichtertoffen - December 2, 2012 7:50 p.m.

Caring too much about unimportant and nonexistent characters. For whatever reason, I can never bring myself to delete any letters from my mother in Animal Crossing. By 'mother,' of course, I mean 'program that randomly sends letters and doesn't actually care about me.' But there's still some sentimental value for me.
  • tomasfr89 - December 2, 2012 7:24 p.m.

Here's one I developed recently: Quit gaming (the passive-agressive way): Ohboy! It's finally out! After pre-purchasing and counting every grueling moment without your precious new game it's finally here. So you prepare yourself, you grab it in your hands and you start playing... the waiting game. I mean, you need to wait for the day-one patch, the patch that fixes that patch; and don't forget you bought that season pass so that means your gaming experience is not yet complete, so you wait for the first DLC, the patch that fixes that DLC... I still haven't touched my borderlands 2. I'm a sick, sick puppy.
  • ParagonT - December 2, 2012 7:12 p.m.

Reloading after every shot.
  • gopikmin - December 2, 2012 6:54 p.m.

#7 remind me of inFamous. You don't think that a guy with electric powers should that bad in water. I accidentally fell into it and went "Shit. GET OUT OF WATER." Then he died. Another habit is forgetting to save in some games. I am used to games autosaving or projecting the save screen right after a level that I sometimes forget to save after long stretches particularly in rpgs and before optional bosses
  • kyle94 - December 2, 2012 6:50 p.m.

Oh god am I guilty of the quicksave one. I can't even remember what game it was, but I distinctly remember starting to fall from a distance that would've meant my death, reaching over for the 'quickload' button, and accidentally hitting the 'quicksave' button instead. That was annoying. And I'm not a perfectionist and especially not an achievement whore...sometimes. I don't go after achievements like "Kill 100 enemies while jumping in the air while using the pistol" or "With 500 multiplayer matches [or really anything involving multiplayer]". However, if it's an open-world game/RPG, I will often try to 100% it. I've 100% GTA:SA, the Batman: Arkham games, and all the Assassin Creed games (except 3), yet I gave up on Elder Scroll games (came really close with Skyrim though. And by 100%, I mean explore every location. I'm pretty sure I did every quest), GTA 4, and Just Cause 2.
  • taokaka - December 2, 2012 5:29 p.m.

The final boss one is incredibly annoying, I love when an rpg throws a tough boss at you and I expect to have to grind to beat it, so I do. Just recently I finished tales of graces f which had an easy enough boss anyway but in the dungeon leading to the final boss you can find a book which halves the damage you can take in battle, why? I always save my nuclear option to the end but never actually use it and end up finishing the game having never fired my most powerful weapon. Also the one good combo in a fighting game is really annoying, especially against one of my friends in street fighter x tekken who just repeatedly spams marduk's knee attack and usually wins. Finally, In soviet russia game beats you
  • Hobbitking17 - December 2, 2012 5:26 p.m.

In Mario Kart if I'm about to be hit by a blue shell I always brake and make sure the second person gets hit as well.
  • ChiChiRocket - December 2, 2012 5:03 p.m.

Back in the day, my sister had this infuriating habit of going back to heal at a Pokemon Center after EVERY. SINGLE. FIGHT.
  • Jdub9064 - December 2, 2012 4:54 p.m.

I always feel I have to check every nook and cranny just to make sure I dont miss anything.
  • RagingRaven - December 2, 2012 4:03 p.m.

Overestimating your capabilities- Playing a fighting game and you're winning, so you decide to show off a bit, but your opponent takes that opportunity and F's you up. Example: I was playing Galactic Conquest in Battlefront 2 when I encountered a space battle against the com. So I do my thing (Take Y-wing and use the bombs to destroy the Stardestroyer) and I get to the point were all I need to do is shoot their engine once and win. I get cocky and start targeting the tie-fighters, in the heat of battle the com kills enough of my guys and I lose!
  • nintendo365 - December 2, 2012 3:16 p.m.

Do you know how good it feels when you get to the end of RE4 and Ada tosses you the rocket launcher and youre just like, "No thanks bitch, I brought my own"
  • winner2 - December 2, 2012 2:40 p.m.

Constant reloading to stand a chance against the boss. Especially in dark/demons souls. Get to the boss area but used some estus or herbs... gotta go back again to fill up and everything respawns, ^%*@! But then there's always one of 3 reactions: I AM A $&^%*#+@ GOD, childish fury, or just dead, soul crushing apathy.
  • Elgyem - December 2, 2012 2:29 p.m.

My stupid gaming habit: in 2D fighters, I constantly tap a certain button because the character I play the most has a really good attack linked to it. That gets really embarassing when I switch to a different game in which the button has a very different effect.
  • bass88 - December 2, 2012 2:20 p.m.

The last one describes me perfectly. And despite countless games proving I shouldn't do it, I still do. :-(
  • Turtman - December 2, 2012 1:57 p.m.

So true about Kart Racers, jeesus sometimes it is more advantageous to purposefully fall behind in right before the final lap. Also Machinarium had a really good hint system that didn't have me going to the internet for much help.
  • Bloodstorm - December 2, 2012 1:51 p.m.

19, 100% number 19. It never fails, I try something 20 times and it gets worse every time. So I give up for the time being, and then when I come back, I beat it in the first or second try. Frustration is a skill neutralizer.
  • MrJechgo - December 2, 2012 1:43 p.m.

"Believing that achievements are worth something" True, because they are worth nothing...
  • Brumbek - December 2, 2012 1:38 p.m.

Ha, some of these are genius! Great article. I find myself doing so many of these. Particularly saving the best weapons for boss fights, but as you say, the game assumes I won't be so clever and offers free guns right before the boss! Deus Ex Human Revolution did this constantly... Anyway, great stuff...but I will still continue striving for all Achievements because that's how I find my self-worth. :)
  • metalgatesolid - December 2, 2012 1:33 p.m.

Perfecting the game. All hitman games where played to death in order to get silent assassin on every level. Same as any game in which you can get a S rank. We gamers are sad, sad people... but awesome