• BlueScorpion91 - May 22, 2013 4:34 p.m.

I see how it is backwards from a financual position, because it is(take the PS3 as proof), but saying that to a journalist knowing it would get spun and twisted in all ways was stupid. Some would say backwards.
  • Tjwoods18 - May 22, 2013 4:04 p.m.

You all know as well as I that Microsoft will take the route of Sony, where they saw a demand for previous generation games and started the "Collection" fad to take in more money.
  • ParagonT - May 22, 2013 5:21 p.m.

My thoughts exactly. They seen that they could easily load the games on their servers and just squeeze more money out of it.
  • supergiraffe - May 22, 2013 4:02 p.m.

I'll occasionally play older games that I missed out on, and if I can do it without digging out an old machine than that's great. But it really seems like people in charge of anything shouldn't be insulting any consumer group. Especially since I may not have a 360 to go back and play something like Mass Effect on in a few years, since those things break really easy.
  • Tjwoods18 - May 22, 2013 3:57 p.m.

Spare me that Bull #%#.
  • BladedFalcon - May 22, 2013 3:57 p.m.

To be honest, this is one of the things that bothered me the least, same with the PS4 because, as someone who regularly sells or trades games as soon as I'm done with them, and sell the console before while it still fetches a decent price, I really don't tend to play games that I've already played, considering there's a TON of games I've yet to play as it is. So backwards compatibility to me is more like a nice luxury, cool if the system has it, but definitely not a necessity. THAT being said, calling people that do care about it "Backwards" is a dick gesture, and certainly doing MS no favors right now...
  • The_Ouroboros - May 22, 2013 5:01 p.m.

See, normally I'm with you on this, but it's usually on a second playthrough. The first will be to run through the game on the hardest difficulty, and then eventually after playing other games I'll circle back around on an easier difficulty to just Rambo(or in ME's case Insanity, which is more like Run-In-Fear-of-Everything Mode.) for the achievements or to play the game from a different perspective. Knowing now that I'll have to keep yet another of these consoles, plugged in while they make a few of these games for both systems, well... I guess, goodbye PS3? It also makes it look more like they will abandon the 360, despite it being able to on for a couple of years in its own right. If you no longer need to develop for the past, and you're spending all of this big money on these foreign new aspects of your big bright future, why would you continue to spend that same money on the old news? I remember the Halo 2 story about the group of guys who played on Xbox live for days on the original Xbox, since their server didn't shut down until they all left. I know they won't shut off Xbox Live for 360 immediately, so does that mean that there will be some sort of cross friends list functionality? Because if your profile carries over, does that mean it will now have to specify which version of Xbox they're playing? From my X1 could I in theory, use my Kinect to send a message to someone on their 360? And what does this mean about current XBLA games? You won't be able to DL them on the new system, correct? But yeah, it really looks like at the moment they're saying, "If we're going to piss you off, let's do it proper, eh? "
  • brickman409 - May 22, 2013 7:45 p.m.

I'm guessing they'll handle it the same way that they handled the awful "games for windows live" where ... actually I don't remember what they did, it just sort of worked .... well not really well, but you could be on your PC and see what your friends were playing on their 360, and your friends could see what you were playing on your PC from their 360. Also all of the achievements you earned on PC games would show up on your Xbox live gamer score, and vice versa.
  • shawksta - May 22, 2013 5:39 p.m.

Your reasoning is heavily understandable. realize though that there are probably gonna be people who sell their 360's to even get a Xbox one, only to realize that they cant play the 360 games they already own, especially if they havent finished it and who knows if the not-even-announced yet launch games will be enough. Yeah i know with people like you, me and others would knowalready doing but the world isnt that small. Especially if Microsft doesnt say it aloud to the public that its not Backwards Compatible.
  • someonetgsn - May 22, 2013 6:44 p.m.

For someone who actually cares about backwads compatibility, I do not mind if Xboxone is not backwards compatible. Backwards compatibility does not get much support anyway, so I am used to it. THAT being said, calling it "backwards" AND using useless statistics to justify it is really insulting. Do they think I am stupid? I can think of many reasons not to support backwards compatibility, yet they choose the one way that will insult me. This is not the time to insult paying customers Microsoft. I am tired of the never ending parade of disappointment that Microsoft is conducting. It seems as if I will have to switch to Sony if I go next gen.