We Recommend

• scott-cornish - May 23, 2013 12:36 a.m.

All this is going to achieve is driving down 360 software sales until xbox one comes out.
  • Swedish_Chef - May 22, 2013 9:42 p.m.

I think Mattricks head is making a backwards notion into his arse.
  • Child Of Death - May 22, 2013 9:02 p.m.

Im backwards huh? Well fuck you too.
  • N7Spartan95 - May 22, 2013 8:40 p.m.

*facepalm* Microsoft, why is it that you've taken to shoving your foot in your mouth so much over the past couple of days? Do you like the taste of your feet that much, or is some ungodly force just making you guys act like morons all of a sudden? I understand the basic rationale: if only 5 percent of Xbox owners actually use backwards compatibility, it makes sense to use your limited resources for other things. I get that. But saying that someone is "backwards" for wanting to only need one box to play their vast multi-generational library instead of digging out their old consoles to play Battlefront 2 or something? Isn't that statement kind of, I don't know, PISSING ON YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS! The guy probably didn't mean to come off as an asshole like that, but Microsoft seriously needs to learn to THINK before they speak with news like this, especially now. They're just lucky they own Halo, or I'd be flinging money at Sony right now.
  • Manguy17 - May 22, 2013 8:03 p.m.

Thing is, The xbox (at least the older builds like the one I own) and awfully put together, My disc tray already requires that I smack it whilst pressing the button for 5 minutes in order to open it, I really doubt it will last for than a couple more years, after that point it would be great to be able to replay great current gen games like gta 4, bioshock infinite, mass effect etc etc without the need for either buying another xbox or upgrading my pc to the level required to play said games. That said realistically Im better off doing that anyways considering how the xbox one is looking.
  • ParagonT - May 23, 2013 9:45 a.m.

Hahaha, mine requires a plastic knife to jimmy the tray open.
  • brickman409 - May 22, 2013 7:39 p.m.

hmmmm I am angry when any system lacks backwards compatibility, but he has a point. Although I love it, I never really use backwards compatibility after I've owned a system for a couple of years and built up a decent library for it. I played GameCube games on my Wii for the first couple years that I owned it, but, then I slowly stopped playing them as much when I got more Wii games to play. I play Wii games on my Wii U all the time, but that might only be until I some more Wii U games come my way.
  • C.King - May 22, 2013 8:32 p.m.

when it's a change in format like the cartridges to discs or cards it makes some sense though i consider it a bummer that i couldn't play pokemon red version on my ds, but if they're both freaking discs i can't see it. it'd be freaking awesome if i could play my entire library on one console(preferably handheld) but i guess the downloadable era isn't that bad infact my 3ds is pretty much a portable arcade at this point, but STILL lost classics which have no hope of remakes/re-releases are pretty much gone and future generations may never have a chance to enjoy
  • BipolarTroll - May 22, 2013 7:23 p.m.

what a backward dick.
  • Spartan-N7 - May 22, 2013 6:46 p.m.

Wow, Microsoft must love the taste of their foot, cause it's shoved in their mouth pretty tight right now.
  • PatHan-bHai - May 23, 2013 9:31 a.m.

Nothing is more delicious than a foot salad XD
  • t_skwerl - May 22, 2013 6:43 p.m.

Call me... backwards, heh, but it's just another reason I'm not interested. The reason they're not doing it is painfully obvious. The same reason Sony isn't doing it; so they milk us dry by charging us full price again for HD collections of older games. Or putting those up for digital download. Which do work on their latest system. It's all about the benjamins. As for PS4, I remain dubious.
  • laurenhiya21 - May 22, 2013 6:23 p.m.

I still use my Wii's, PS2's, DS's and GBA's backwards compatibility... To me it means I can play a bunch of games without getting another console. Sure a lot of those older systems are pretty cheap now, but I would prefer to spend that on more games (as I'm still missing a lot of gems). Also, if the PS4 had backwards compatibility, I probably would of been tempted to buy it at launch or near launch as I still don't have a PS3. I don't have a 360 either, but even if the XboxOne had backwards compatibility, there is no way I'm buying a console if you need to pay a fee to play used games :/ (it's probably going to be overpriced anyway because of all the fancy TV stuff that no one cares about)
  • Omrikon - May 22, 2013 6:13 p.m.

Clever wordplay, but disappointing to hear. Backwards compatibility has historically helped smooth over the transition to new systems and encouraged early adoption by ensuring continued access to an established library of games during the launch period. Furthermore, it was a pro-consumer feature that sacrificed some potential profit on repackaged games in exchange for customer appreciation and loyalty. Instead, we get a lot of the same old sports and FPS footage, and what... the ability to watch television through it?
  • TCMU287 - May 22, 2013 5:52 p.m.

"Only 5 percent of customers play games for older systems on newer systems." Maybe because no one bothered to make backwards compatibility work since 2008!! YOU NEVER TRIED IT PROPERLY IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! AArrrgh.
  • julyfire94 - May 22, 2013 5:37 p.m.

"Only 5 percent of customers play games for previous systems on newer systems, Mattrick said, so the time and money required to get Xbox 360 games working on Xbox One is better spent elsewhere." Oh, you mean like TV?
  • shawksta - May 22, 2013 5:25 p.m.

My god Microsoft, you never learn do you? Even after that blurt out on Twitter? Be more professional damn it.
  • ParagonT - May 22, 2013 5:19 p.m.

I'm wondering how they figure that this backwards compatible endeavor is such a big financial and time wasting thing. They already have the code, and I'm no code wiz, but I seriously doubt its that big of a stretch. They're just feeding on the public's ignorance on the matter and making it seem like its the biggest chore of making a console, when I would bet money that its not. I'm calling it.
  • Cyberninja - May 22, 2013 5:16 p.m.

I like backwards compatibility because that way I don't have to have multiple systems in one spot, right now I have my ps3, wiiu and ps2 under my tv and I could put the wii in the family room if need be.
  • RayPaw - May 22, 2013 4:48 p.m.

While this is certainly the least controversial aspect of the Xbox One announcement, the point about this taking a bit of the wind out of the sails of the One as the ultimate convergence device is on the nose. If the new Xbox is supposed to be the interface through which you do all your interaction with your big screen it will really take you out of the magical experience to change inputs the old-fashioned way.