• closer2192 - December 17, 2011 6:30 p.m.

Ask GR: Why doesn't the XBOX 360 sell well in Japan? Is it xenophobia? Is it because Nintendo and Sony are so entrenched in their home country? Or is it some simpler reason, like a lack of good homegrown games?
  • phade3 - December 16, 2011 8:37 a.m.

I sold a an unopened copy of both Tomba 1 and 2 for just under $300 bucks ! The guy who bought them wanted those games that bad I suppose ! Funny thing is I found them at a garage sale one Saturday afternoon and paid $10 bucks for both of them !
  • Foodperson - December 15, 2011 8:29 a.m.

How about all-time lows? There are good games that sell on eBay or Amazon for just a penny (plus shipping and handling).
  • Net_Bastard - December 15, 2011 5:23 a.m.

The N64 version of Tony Hawk 3 is considered the holy grail of N64 collectors, because it was released so close to the end of the system's lifespan and because of that under 400 copies were made. There's also the gold Nintendo World Championships cart. And there's Pepsi Invaders for the A2600. It was a Space Invaders reskin with the invaders being the letters to PEPSI instead of ships. I think it was advertising Coke. There's LSD Dream Emulator for the PSX. That one is also known to be a collector's holy grail.
  • Nintendophile - December 15, 2011 10:31 a.m.

Tony Hawk 3, brand new on Ebay, $21.99. Must not have gotten the memo. -_^ http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Tony-Hawks-Pro-Skater-3-Nintendo-64-2002-/9268?LH_ItemCondition=1000&_dmpt=Video_Games_Games&_pcategid=139973&_pcatid=2&_refkw=tony+hawk+3+n64#
  • phade3 - December 16, 2011 8:40 a.m.

True ! Stadium Events is another rare game that was recalled shortly after release on the old NES system !
  • AuthorityFigure - December 15, 2011 12:40 a.m.

Didn't someone pay heaps for a pre-release CoD MW3? For the money in relation to its age, this has got to be one of the most expensive purchases. I believe that manuals are more valuable than the carts most of the time.
  • ChaseByKO - December 14, 2011 9:20 p.m.

I totally should have kept those Blockbuster copies of The Flintstones: Surprise at Dino Peak for the NES. Ask GR idea: How companies design and choose their controllers.
  • Craza - December 14, 2011 9:33 p.m.

That's actually a pretty good question. I wanna hear the answer.
  • dvdsucks - December 15, 2011 2:09 a.m.

agreed
  • Net_Bastard - December 14, 2011 7:55 p.m.

I have a question: Why don't modern PC games have CGI-quality graphics? Sure the system requirements would be massive, but it's possible. Also, there were games like Driller for the ZX Spectrum that ran at 1FPS but were still released back in the day, so why can't there be a modern PC gaming equivalent of that? I would kill for a PC game that looks like the UE3 Samaritan tech demo. And I know that it isn't because of consoles because even PC-exclusive games released recently don't come close to that level of visuals. I want to see things like 128K textures, realistic deformation, and good-looking small objects.
  • Fiirestorm21 - December 15, 2011 1:20 p.m.

Because it'd be as expensive as hell to make, and it's hard enough to make money on a PC-exclusive game as it is even when most people can play it. That's why. Patience, padawan.
  • winner2 - December 14, 2011 4:57 p.m.

31k for a game? Speechless
  • mattmanmcfee36 - December 14, 2011 3:47 p.m.

not a knock to the article, but i was expecting a list of the most expensive games, haha. ive heard that the old mickey's speedway usa is pretty valuable, and i have a copy still for the n64 (that still works!)
  • jmcgrotty - December 15, 2011 3:36 a.m.

Re:"ive heard that the old mickey's speedway usa is pretty valuable, and i have a copy still for the n64" Not to burst your bubble, but no. It's actually considered "very common," with over 100 games that are considered more rare. www.nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Element.View&pId=5&egID=10145&lgID=10145&sID=10145
  • tyler_14_420 - December 15, 2011 12:08 p.m.

Eugh, Mickey's Speedway USA. $100 New.
  • Fatbot - December 14, 2011 3:33 p.m.

I've got a collection of more than 2,400 games from the 2600 to present day and if I had a bunch of extra money, I'd definitely pay big bucks for ones that are one-of-a-kind. That said the most I've paid for a game is 200 for an arcade machine. Other than that it was 150 for Dead Space: Ultra Limited Edition.
  • NightCrawler_358 - December 14, 2011 3:27 p.m.

Interesting... Okay, I've got one, how big are the largest games, storage wise? I know that in this current generation we can fit something like 25 GBs on a Blu-Ray disc, do any games fill, or exceed that?
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - December 14, 2011 3:53 p.m.

i think metal gear 4 does
  • Unoriginal - December 14, 2011 4:01 p.m.

I've heard that Audio files take a boat-load of space so that could explain MGS4