• Nettacki - January 22, 2014 1:33 p.m.

In a way, EA still deserved the worst company in America awards. Because let's be honest: "make a video game" barely even covers any of the bad things EA has done, and in the end, this simply proves that EA has a horrible reputation that's rightly deserved due to their practices.
  • BladedFalcon - January 22, 2014 2:02 p.m.

You're fucking out of touch in reality if you really think ANYTHING an entertainment company could have done is even remotely worse than driving the entire economy of the country into the ground, polluting the ocean or y'know, anything that actually DOES affect lives and the world. Doesn't matter if EA was super shitty in his practices, his worst sins ultimately have no bearing on human life at large, and thus, anything they do is completely superflous, and nothing more than a first world problem. You, and every single asshole that seriously believes EA deserved this above BP or Bank of America make me sick, and also ashamed to even be called a gamer. because this kind of bullshit is what makes us look infantile, self entitled and petty to the rest of the world.
  • Fireborn - January 22, 2014 11:25 p.m.

From what i see the award wasnt about what was the most "EVIL" company from Armchair Activist´s point of view but the company that has provided the worst service and has failed to meet costumer expectations, EA is one of the worst ofenders in this case, also if that shows anything is that at least "gamers" care enough to voice their opinion to make a huge difference in something that was not aimed to them in particular, it actually shows they are a group that still care about how are they being treated as customers and don´t just buy the lame, "You´re being self entitled" and have no right to complain BS that devs and companies now try to use as an argument to get away with mediocre releases and dishonest practices, if anything, is society as a whole to blame because it shows how most of them dont even care and have never cared about voicing their opinions on things that do affect the economy and the enviroment, "gamers" are no different from the rest of the world, why they should be?
  • BladedFalcon - January 23, 2014 8:07 a.m.

First of all, this has nothing to do about who's the most "evil" company. Even if EA's treatment of it's customers is shit, I'd classify bankrupting the economy and making EVERYONE miserable as an even worse service, again, it isn't about evil, it's about fucking common sense. Also, I'm all for voicing my opinion (i do it every fucking day) and speaking out against EA or activision or any shitty gaming company when i am in, y'know, a GAMING site like this, or talking about games. But if it's a poll about not just videogame companies, but the companies of the ENTIRE country and from things that actually affect real life? Then focus on the ones that cause REAL problems, not a fucking video game company, who all they do is provide entertainment. No matter how shitty they may do it, it's STILL entertainment. Also... You're seriously fucked up if you're blaming society or anyone else for this, instead of manning up and accepting that this is really no one else's fault BUT every single fuckhead gamer that voted in that poll. It shouldn't fucking matter if the rest of the people do the wrong thing, that's no excuse to do wrong yourself.
  • shawksta - January 23, 2014 1:14 a.m.

Gonna have to agree. As fiendish as EA is, the fact that they ranked over or even near real country based problems is embarassing.
  • Nettacki - January 26, 2014 3:34 p.m.

Alright, they don't deserve being in the top awards. What I meant to say was this: they've earned their spot on the awards through their actions. Maybe they shouldn't be the top worst one, but they still deserved to be on that list.
  • BladedFalcon - January 26, 2014 4 p.m.

That's not at all what you were defending at first, but alright. Even still... you have to wonder if they really even deserve to be on that spot. Again, yes, they may be really shitty in their business practices, but they are STILL just a videogame company. They make an entertainment product. Doesn't matter how badly they do it, they aren't actively ruining lives in the process, whereas there are hundreds of large companies out there that actively hurt lives in trier forms. Again, don't get me wrong, EA deserves to be called out and punished for their practices, but it should always be WITHIN the context of gaming and entertainment. If this was a poll judging only gaming, film, music and so on companies, then sure, by all means, shit all over EA. But it isn't, and the fact that most nerds and gamers still didn't seem to care or be able to make the distinction is what's upsetting.
  • GenderBender_9000 - January 22, 2014 2:57 p.m.

First world problems. you must live a very privilegd life if you seriously think EA ( a company that makes video games) is the worst company of the year.
  • Zayne013 - January 22, 2014 12:44 p.m.

Stupid me, clicking on everything on facebook... Useless information
  • KnightDehumidifier - January 22, 2014 12:43 p.m.

The over-abundance of plastic peripherals: Fake guitars, fake drums, fake keyboards, fake guns, fake skateboards, fake steering wheels, fake microphones, fake fitness boards, fake dance mats, fake sports equipment shells; just an utter waste. How many closets are cluttered with this nonsense that has the successful role of dust magnet?
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - January 22, 2014 12:44 p.m.

Hahha, good one - totally forgot about my Rockband equipment (which, consequently, is in a closet).
  • hester2 - January 22, 2014 1:02 p.m.

I wouldn't say I wish I could forget the Rock Band stuff. I had a blast playing that with the roommates while we were in college. I DO wish, however, that I had sold or traded those peripherals when they still had at least some value left.
  • BladedFalcon - January 22, 2014 12:34 p.m.

Am I the only one who is actually GLAD that LucasArts was closed? I mean, I love Star Wars as any good self respecting Nerd would... But I feel that LucasArts failed to do anything truly worthwhile in the entire duration of this generation, starting in 2005. All the games it released were either mediocre or straight up shitty, and even the revealed star wars 1313 Didn't really look much more than an uncharted clone with shinier graphics and a star wars coat of paint. So honestly, I feel like their death was very much deserved, and if it paves the way for better Star Wars games? I'm all for it.
  • shawksta - January 22, 2014 12:48 p.m.

Everyone can agree atleast to the fact that George Lucas clearly lost his touch.
  • BladedFalcon - January 22, 2014 1:58 p.m.

...What does that have to do with LucasArts though? George Lucas himself was never really in charge or terribly interested in LucasArts to begin with, and from what I've gathered, the most influence he had on them was when the game makers sometimes consulted him regarding new universe or story elements. Beyond that, I'm pretty sure his involvement in the games and what projects got greenlit or not was minimal.
  • shawksta - January 22, 2014 2:24 p.m.

True, either way your point on all the Star wars games is spot on.
  • The_Tingler - January 22, 2014 4:33 p.m.

He had nothing to do with the decline of LucasArts, other than not noticing the executives strangling the life out of it.
  • colin-knapp - January 22, 2014 12:50 p.m.

Yes, you are the only one. Part of the thing that killed LA is that they were TOO focused on Star Wars and got away from their Adventure games which, in all reality, is what made them the studio they were. The Jedi Knight / Dark Forces / X-Wing games were good, don't get me wrong, but the thing that defined the studio were games like Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle and so on. The killing blow though was in 2009 when they hired the former EA president and he basically destroyed the company.
  • BladedFalcon - January 22, 2014 1:55 p.m.

...How am I the only one, when you actually seem to be agreeing with me? You're acknowledging that LucasArts had stopped being the renowned and beloved studio many loved some time ago, and that the company was a mere husk of itself in this generation... Which is the entire point of what I myself, was saying :P I'm just a bit confused, is all XD
  • GoldenEagle1476 - January 22, 2014 2:23 p.m.

We're sad because LucasArts was a great studio and had a legacy of great games, but I agree with you in that we can finally look forward to getting some good Star Wars games.
  • BladedFalcon - January 22, 2014 3:02 p.m.

But I mean... The studio and the legacy you loved had been long gone way before LucasArts officially "died". I get you people being sad about it all those years and seeing how the studio dug itself deeper into the ground, but I would have thought that finally seeing it die would be more freeing than sad. I mean, maybe had they announced they had plans for like, say, grim fandango 2 or a sequel for Day of the tentacle, i could understand it more. But there was none of that, the chance of LucasArts ever going back to the studio they once were was pretty much zero.
  • The_Tingler - January 22, 2014 4:32 p.m.

LucasArts drove itself into death long ago with a team of executives who didn't know how games worked and didn't really care, so I am more broken up about the sad end to a once-great company rather than the long-expected end itself. However, you're wrong when you say they didn't release anything of value this generation: three Monkey Island games! Two Special Editions and one brand new! Re-releases of their classics at last! Then as usual a new president comes in and decides the best strategy for a videogame company is not to release any videogames at all, old or new. Until death. Oh, and the final point though... better Star Wars games? From EA? Their last two big movie licenses were Lord of the Rings and James Bond, how did they turn out?