• RebornKusabi - January 23, 2014 4:07 a.m.

I cannot explain how much I hated the original version of Mass Effect 3, in its entirety, I have a burning, seething, white-hot hatred of that game and it makes my blood boil to the point of instantly filling my rage-meter when I think about it. Literally the only way I can think of to have it discussed properly is with a Plinkett-style review dissecting why the game failed, and spoiler alert- it WASN'T just the hilarious ending. I'm glad the original writers sucked it up and rewrote it to be less retarded and fill in some of the plot holes with DLC but nevertheless, fuck that game and screw the next game if it is a prequel and not a sequel to ME3, However, with all of that said, the calls of boycotts, entitled fan demands and voting the company above the goddamn Bank of America, and companies with a history of human rights violations and contributions to the ruin of the US economy? Moronic. Oh and as a Sony fan, all of what they did last generation bothered me immensely. With that said, I bought two PS3s for my living room and bedroom and had to go through seven Xbox's until I just sold the damn thing so the slide about system failures resonates with me.
  • chadcarter88 - March 15, 2014 11:04 p.m.

Hey dick, if do not have anything good to say, do not say them at all!
  • Errrrbo - January 23, 2014 2:22 a.m.

I definitely wish I could forget Mass Effect 3's original ending.
  • JachAnen - January 23, 2014 12:26 a.m.

"In EA's defense: Come on, really? Face, meet palm." Exactly how I felt about you mentioning DN:F. I pre-ordered the damn game, and actually enjoyed it. For me it clearly Duke Nukem all the way. Beyond making a game true to what Duke Nukem is, you shouldn't have any expectations at all, you'll whine a lot less about small stuff like this.
  • yonderTheGreat - January 23, 2014 5:32 a.m.

Actually I thought the whole "you can only carry two weapons" was a HUGE violation of the tactical complexity that, among many things, made Duke a wonderful shooter. They did fix that, eventually. But that amount of consolitis should NEVER have existed in a Duke game.
  • FoxdenRacing - January 23, 2014 8:48 a.m.

Duke was by no means a good game, but it's not nearly as awful as opinions tainted by crushed expectations make it out to be. Just as anyone who loved it is accused of being 'blinded by rose-tinted glasses', the ugly truth is that those consider it a turd-plated turd are being influenced by the same. Duke is no Superman 64, even though if the internet is to be believed, Supes' much-maligned misadventure compares favorably to it. Problem the first: The title was so legendary by the time it was released that there was no way it'd ever live up to the hype. Even if the game proved to be so good Activision and EA both went bankrupt from their inability to compete, it would've been considered awful just on hype factor. When you go in expecting a 27, even a perfect 10 won't be good enough. Problem the second: The guys who loved Duke as kids aren't teenagers drowning in hormones with no hope of controlling the same any more...plus boobs and cursing are no longer new and exciting and awesome concepts; they've grown up, gotten careers and wives and kids of their own. Duke stayed true to Duke in theme; toilet humor, being a satire of the greats of action movies, and flagrant objectification of women. What gamers that are now 31 instead of 13 discovered is that they've grown out of that (much how guys who can no longer bring themselves to play games full of color and whimsy lament that Nintendo 'didn't grow up with them'). They didn't want a modern Duke Nukem game, with everything the Duke name implied. They wanted a modern game with Duke Nukem in it. I will grant that the machismo and such could've done with a better execution, though; it felt like at times they were trying too hard...and forced humor isn't funny. Problem the third: Duke didn't stay true to Duke in terms of gameplay...which if anyone remembers some of my previous rants, is a harsh condemnation. Weapons felt a bit samey, only two weapons [and 'bottomless barrels of ammo' wherever there were setpieces to be found] stuck out like a third arm, and being stuck in Development Hell so long left it a bit...unfocused. It didn't play like a cohesive game, but instead as a 'short history of gaming trends'. Levels dragged on too long, design decisions that were 'in' at the time they were made (like a Halo-style inventory rather than a Doom-style one) didn't mesh with the things that defined Duke. There was a lot of room to improve, don't get me wrong...but it wasn't awful, either.
  • anthony-schaff - January 22, 2014 10:18 p.m.

It's been said a million times, but, for reasons stated many times over, Mass Effect 3's ending deserves to be on this list.
  • barrage7667 - January 23, 2014 12:37 a.m.

Why do you think EA was voted worst company of the year?
  • rodger-walker - January 22, 2014 9:43 p.m.

BF3,4, Diablo 3, Skyrim, and GTA5 launches (just the multiplayer for GTA5)
  • Bansheebot - January 22, 2014 5:22 p.m.

Survival-Horror finally giving out completely to Action-Slightly Unsettling.
  • Sy87 - January 22, 2014 6:29 p.m.

Oh yes the death of survival-horror. I know they got the run away and hide games though they are just not my thing. I like to fight back. You know take on my demons, but the big names Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Dead Space. How they have fallen.
  • barrage7667 - January 23, 2014 12:40 a.m.

I find the gradual transition necessary for the plots of the games to make sense. They all start off as single isolated incidents and eventually become a wide scale catastrophe. We just need a new title. To be honest at time The Last Of Us was pretty freaking terrifying...and horror survival like
  • g1rldraco7 - January 22, 2014 5 p.m.

I was so depressed when Lucas Arts was shutdown. So much for hoping for Force Unleashed 3 to come out T.T
  • sephex - January 22, 2014 3:31 p.m.

What I am definitely missing here: - japanese studios almost vanish from big bugdet videogames. - game re-designs that doesn't fit the previous outcomes. - PSP and other handhelds fail to live up to their hype. - it's fairly sinonym with the first one, but the disappearance of the big JRPG's.
  • yonderTheGreat - January 23, 2014 5:32 a.m.

Those aren't moments dude.
  • sephex - January 23, 2014 6:47 a.m.

Yeah, because DNF "is a moment".
  • eddie-hoplight - January 22, 2014 3:26 p.m.

I don't see why everybody hated it, I guess I'm the only guy in the world that actually likes Duke Nukem Forever
  • sephex - January 22, 2014 3:25 p.m.

What's that last Heavy Rain picture supposed to mean?
  • Eightboll812 - January 22, 2014 9:17 p.m.

People make fun of that part of the game where he runs around shouting "JAAAAASON" That scene was truly one of the most awful of last gen, lol.
  • sephex - January 23, 2014 1:56 a.m.

I had no problem with that part or the game whatsoever. Good to know.
  • TheGooseinator - January 22, 2014 3:11 p.m.

Sony was to last generation what Nintendo is to the new generation. Both seem to put out one brilliant piece of software after another, but both are so nightmarishly bad at consumer communication and recognition that anything good they actually make instantly pales in comparison. Between the hacks, the Vita's failure, and that god awful press conference in 2006, it's amazing that Sony managed to find its footing and deliver the great games that eventually graced the PS3. Sadly, Nintendo, or more specifically the Wii U, appears to be in a very similar situation today. Hopefully, they will also be able to recover.