We Recommend

• Shane1403 - April 28, 2011 3:20 p.m.

Great article. Technically in the number 1 entry Master Chief could be looking at the camera.
  • Siion - April 28, 2011 2:03 p.m.

Entertaining article =)
  • rabidpotatochip - April 28, 2011 1:38 p.m.

Wouldn't the Spongebob game be filed under "Say Ahahahahahahahahahahaha"?
  • Fraught - April 28, 2011 11:21 a.m.

Hah, I hate articles that rag on cover art having some arbitrary similarities, when there's only so much varying art you can do. Let's examine this. So, what you're trying to say, Cheryll Del Rosario, is that if a game's box cover has a picture where there's either a single character looking away from the camera, one not standing with their whole body directly facing the "camera", holding any sort of weapon (and when looking at the Hunted: Demon's Forge cover, in pretty much any position relative to the camera too), two characters from two different oppositions standing in front of eachother (and conflict is a preeeetty big part of an interesting story), giant heads floating, a logo that, judging by half of the examples, isn't so tiny that it can't possibly be read even by someone with 20-20 vision, only one eye showing, any character looking either very happy/content, or one screaming something, or beign surprised (or jesus, fuck, opening your mouth comes along with pretty much any stronger variant of an emotion), and since you mentioned "Setting? Environment? Enemies? What's that?" on the JRPG character collage, and juxtaposing that with the backgrounds that show off the setting and environment (at least to some degree), then I take it having multiple characters on a cover is cliche now too. And using ANY of those is cliche. I'm really curious of what the fuck is left, then? A character who's directly facing the camera, directly looking into it, not holding anything, a tiny logo hidden in a corner somewhere, with a completely stoic expression, both eyes visible, no giant heads, oh, god forbid the character's face is close to the camera, and only that character. ONLY that character. Oh, and don't put an image of the setting and/or environment behind the character. Because that apparently shows that the cover art doesn't show off the environment or the setting. ...sounds like a nightmare.
  • jmcgrotty - April 28, 2011 10:23 a.m.

Ja3e, you mentioned "You had a picture of Bully on PS2.. But when it was on PS2 wasn't it called 'Canis Canem Edit'?? It was later called Bully when it was released on 360/PS3.. At least over here in the UK it was..." You nailed it on the head. U.S. title was Bully. UK/Aus title included the Canis Canem Edit subtitle. Never was released for the PS3.
  • philipshaw - April 28, 2011 10:17 a.m.

Awesome feature but I'm surprised that Mikel wasn't the one doing it
  • Mudrock - April 28, 2011 9:51 a.m.

SO basically you're saying that every single piece of box art in the world is cliche...i see.
  • e1337prodigy - April 28, 2011 9:15 a.m.

"For instance, the rarely discussed Seventh Commandment of kid-friendly box art design states, “Thou shalt have all characters screaming obscenities.”" - LOL so true
  • Grynn - April 28, 2011 8:50 a.m.

Guys really yakuza in the top worst "i got your back" covers i think its the only acception hehe poor kazzy :(
  • SpikroddNG - April 28, 2011 7:55 a.m.

No mention to the most notorious and lazy of box art cliches: "The background is orange and cyan". Really, nothing pisses me off more than the sight of those game cases on a GameStop shelf.
  • Imgema - April 28, 2011 7:45 a.m.

I just noticed... there is a pajama party game on the Wii? I think its time to invent a new word because "shovelware" can't cover this.
  • beezn - April 28, 2011 7:36 a.m.

so I take it Portal had good box art?http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9f/Portal_standalonebox.jpg
  • TheOracle8191 - April 28, 2011 6:49 a.m.

So basically they want a normal sized character, right in the middle of the box, with not too big of a title, just staring at you with arms down to the side? :P
  • TR4rulez - April 28, 2011 6:39 a.m.

Is just my imagination, or is every single type of box art possible covered here? Really not your best work. If I wanted half assery I would spend my time on IGN.
  • quincytheodore - April 28, 2011 5:48 a.m.

Oh, come on. There's nothing left if you mention it all. Did someone forget to send you a cover art for a free game? Just kidding, funny stuff :D
  • BlackTeam13 - April 28, 2011 5:39 a.m.

Note: the "say ahhh" examples were all Wii or DS. Why does Nintendo love looking into their character's mouths?
  • RebornKusabi - April 28, 2011 4:07 a.m.

"I got your back" "Like chiropractic" Those two lines seem to be references to the UGK song "International Player's Anthem" featuring Andre 3000 (Line was said by Andre. Maybe its just me, and my taste in music, but I still chuckled at that. Regardless... Love these features! Box art is fun because this is the type of shit I notice all of the time lol
  • garnsr - April 28, 2011 3:49 a.m.

I agree, we need an article showing covers that don't fall into these categories. I can't think what they would be. This seems to cover pretty much everything, and I'm not sure you could really consider all of the choices to be crutches.
  • SideOfBeef - April 28, 2011 3:40 a.m.

So... the only acceptable boxarts are an empty environment or a single character staring directly at the camera not doing anything?
  • rv237 - April 28, 2011 3:38 a.m.

Would you count the Gears of War 3 box art as the "Don't look at the Camera?"