• larkan - June 20, 2013 6:19 p.m.

Why the hell would you want all of your games digital on a console that doesn't allow you to freely put a bigger hard drive in? I don't know about the rest of you, but even as a kid, I took immaculate care of my cartridges and CD based games. People that don't do that are stupid anyways, and should have to buy a new one if they can't take care of their personal belongings. The cloud is dumb, shouldn't even be an issue, as it will cause more headaches when things unexpectedly go offline in the middle of your game and the "cloud" is handling some of your system's resources. As far as sharing goes, that goes completely against their initial argument over used games. So you can't sell a used game, but you can let 10 people play a game you own? That sounds unbelievably worse than trading in a game...you're losing 10 potential customers per every copy sold. And digital sales, you won't get anyways. The deals on 360 and PS3 are hilariously high compared to Steam deals any given day.
  • ledbetta - June 20, 2013 6:24 p.m.

The first part of your rant tells us you don't have children...I'm on my 3rd copy of Dark Souls...Which my son had to spend his allowance to replace...Again...lol
  • Jet - June 20, 2013 6:41 p.m.

Lol well I'm glad kids your age will be able to play games the way we did growing up at least
  • Jet - June 20, 2013 6:42 p.m.

Kids your sons age*
  • Jet - June 20, 2013 6:08 p.m.

I'm sorry but I disagree with almost everything in this entire article. First off, please PLEASE stop comparing consoles to Pcs. Consoles can't compete with PCs, nor should they try to be one. The few advantages consoles have are the sharing of games, ease of use/on the couch experience, and exclusives. ALL of which seem to be disappearing. Steam is introducing a game feature reportedly, consoles are becoming increasingly more complex than just popping in a game and playing and exclusives are dying with few exceptions. More to the point you can do more with pcs than you ever can with consoles. And if you bring up reduced sales then know that console sales font drop to 5 dollars, or 99cents or five games for 10 dollars as long as gamestop exists. Why? Because if Microsoft or Sony reduce prices by that much then gamestop won't sell their product simple as that. Second Im not sure the 10 family sharing feature was ever fully clarified. So I'm not sure why people are so eager to believe this would offset the horrible restrictive policies the x1 would have implemented. This from the same company that introduced a paywall to social media services like Netflix through XBL (admittedly, a better service in terms of performance than PSN, yet still plagued with ads is a negative) won't even allow me to change my hdd unless it's one Microsoft allows me to buy, at a higher price of course, and even still has controllers with non rechargeable batteries. I don't expect corporations to be altruistic in nature, but Microsoft is on a whole other level of skepticism in my book. On top of that game sharing already exists on the ps3. It used to be share with 5 other ppl, now it's 2. But couple that up with a friend and PlayStation plus? That's 3 games a month for the price of 50 dollars a year. Split between 2 people that's 25 dollars. Again, I don't see why everyone is acting like sharing digital games isa new thing. A friend and I just got saints row 3 today and we CAN play it at the same time. We don't have to take turns on it. I have my problems with plus as a service, but nobody feels free to point this out. And like I said earlier even steam is planning something like this. Steam, a place where the digital age IS being done right. The digital age is coming but the future of it isn't exemplified by consoles. It's by Pcs and their community. Where you can have the freedom of play and price, consoles just play catch up as best they can. I love consoles, I grew up playing them, but I would expect game journalists to point out these things and stop painting restriction as the byproduct of progress. Digital can be consumer friendly, you just have to figure out how.
  • kyle-diakos - June 21, 2013 12:43 a.m.

Exactly! Leave the digital age to PC's.
  • darkshad0 - June 21, 2013 10:15 a.m.

You my friend, you deserve the attention and applause of the internet. Very well said. Would also like to thank you for that link regarding that microsoft employee talking about the features. Loved the part that he is so in love with the family game sharing and then blatantly states that game sharing was just a demo mode for all the other people in the plan, after 45 mins or so, they could go ahead and purchase a license for the game themselves. Something that the Xbox PR department "forgot" to mention..
  • Jet - June 21, 2013 11:28 a.m.

Haha thank you for reading. And yeah, it's tough out there for a console gamer
  • ljrivarola - June 20, 2013 5:25 p.m.

First things first. I won't buy a Xbox One. Never. Why? Not only because I've been with PS forever, not only because I don't really like its exclusives, but because it's not a console made for me. It's not a console made for the people in my country. I'll compare both next-gen consoles and tell you how could they perform in my country. First, the PS4: it will work pretty much as the PS3, but you have to pay PS+ to play online. That will be f*cking awesome, because it is a great service and A LOT of people already use it here. PS3 is already succesful in Argentina, and I'm pretty sure that PS4 will be even more succesful. Now I'll go with the Xbox One: it'll work pretty much as the 360, but with a lot more emphasis on media services. Now, there's the problem. The media services that Microsoft offers with the Xbox One are planned to be succesful in the US. Few people in my country use Netflix, and if they do, they use it on their SmartTV, not in their PS3 or Xbox 360. You wanna know why? Because not a lot of people can use those service properly. In a country where games costs MORE THAN 100 DOLARS and 512kb internet is a common thing, the original plans for the Xbox One would have failed miserably (and let's not even mention that 21 countries list). Now, all that it's left is basically a console that can do the same thing that a SmartTV does. I don't know about these kind of cultural things in the US, but here we don't use that things like you do. And if we do, it won't be through our console, because we want our consoles to play games. We're not ready yet to move to "everything's digital" and "media services are everywhere". At least not the whole world. Xbox One is not a console planned to be succesful worldwide. PS4 includes some media services, but it's not its main focus. Yes, IT IS SAD THAT PEOPLE LOST SOME COOL FEATURES, like that family sharing plan. But it is best for Microsoft to throw away DRM and always online if it wants to sell something on other countries. USED GAMES NEEDS TO EXIST in other countries. Now, COOPER, I'm gonna tell you something mostly because you said something to me on twitter that got me thinking. First of all, I'm not pretending to be rude, I just want to argue politely. I told you that here you can't game without used games. New ones costs more than 100 dolars (and they're going up). Hell, in the PSN Store Argentina, Borderlands 2 is $108. You told me that those were different problems that need to be solved. Of course they are, but they are problems that Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, and pretty much everyone NEED to consider, not to solve. If they want to sell consoles here, don't give us restrictions that will kill your own console. People here use Steam, but only to buy the cheap games. Not a long time ago, both Alan Wake games plus DLC were something like $3 on Steam... Do you see Microsoft doing the same thing? Because I don't. Digital distribution is not the solution, at least not unless they start thinking about this problem, and I think that Steam does. For a system that claims to be based on connectivity and all that stuff, they seem to have forgotten that there are other places in the world that would like to consume their products without much problem. So, I'm NOT happy about all this (they taking out those features), because I'm not happy that all this shit happened in the first place. We're not ready for the thing that Microsoft wanted to do. Not globally at least
  • Fuzunga - June 20, 2013 4:26 p.m.

If Microsoft had put out this article themselves, they would have made their system look very, very attractive. But they did such a HORRIBLE job of explaining the benefits of their policies that it all looked terrible. Now that the features are gone and many of us have a clear idea of what they were, a lot of us miss them. I can't decided if this change is going to make the system more or less attractive. Will people just get a PS4 now because it's $100 cheaper and there's barely any difference?
  • ParagonT - June 20, 2013 4:54 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcXdWRJ-xb4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ Angry Joe, Offensive language is in the video.
  • Bgrimes78 - June 20, 2013 4:09 p.m.

With the suggested price drops bcause everything is digital is complete bull. Publishers wouldn't say hey look it costs us less to make this game lets sell it for $40 instead. No they would say hey it costs us less to make this game, look how much more money we will make selling it at $60, added plus no one can buy it used so now were not losing money to used game stores. The so called "sales" on XBM are insulting a game that's a year old will see a $5 price drop. Almost every game offered digitally on Xbox is usually $15-$20 cheaper at ganestop used. I highly doubt they would see the possible profit increase and be like "nah we can sell it cheaper instead."
  • SirManguydude - June 20, 2013 3:18 p.m.

Anyone else notice that Gamesradar was completely Anti-X1 until the other day when they changed all the innovation that came with the X1 back to it being 360 part 2? And now they are pro original X1 features?
  • The_Ouroboros - June 20, 2013 3:38 p.m.

This in its entirety. Touting rumors or turning some of the things we were so up in arms against into a, "Well now, see what you did by speaking up? Now you can't have this! And this!" Seems like a very distinct way to backpedal.
  • FemJesse - June 20, 2013 5:06 p.m.

It's not backpedaling. Not every outlet has to be biased (and not learn because of their bias) I believe the article is playing Devil's Advocate, and it actually shows a lot of integrity to second guess your viewpoints. Anyone stuck in their viewpoints is inherently a zealot and worthless as a source of non biased information, pointless to contend with. What you call backpedaling, others will see as valid points.
  • SirManguydude - June 21, 2013 2:12 p.m.

You obviously have not been reading the previous articles thoroughly as just about every writer trashed all over the X1, following right in the footsteps of the Reddit/4Chan circlejerk.
  • The_Ouroboros - July 19, 2013 11:53 p.m.

Exactly. It WAS blatant, despite what you may think, Jesse.
  • Cyberninja - June 20, 2013 2 p.m.

http://www.heyuguysgaming.com/news/12507/heartbroken-xbox-one-employee-lets-rip-must-read Here an employee states that the family sharing was just a demo mode so family sharing wasn't as cool as they pretended it was.
  • Rowdie - June 20, 2013 2:14 p.m.

I'm a French model.
  • ParagonT - June 20, 2013 2:58 p.m.

Seen that as well.