• mafyooz - June 19, 2013 11:56 p.m.

I never know whether to laugh or cry when it's made out that having to have a disc in a machine is such a big hassle. If people really can't see their way clear to getting off their arses for 2 minutes to swap a disc, then we are truly fucked as a species...
  • lordgodalming - June 20, 2013 2:26 a.m.

This. And not only is putting a disc in a system not a hassle, having a disc gives me confidence that I can replay a game I own in 10 or 15 years.
  • TheMariner - June 20, 2013 4:49 a.m.

Hastle or not, if it's not necessary, why do it? I don't think anyone has a problem with getting up to change a disc but if the technology exists to make it so that you don't have to, then why not use it?
  • PatHan-bHai - June 20, 2013 5:20 a.m.

Because it would make us more fucked up -_-
  • TheMariner - June 20, 2013 5:33 a.m.

But how do you figure that? Does everything that serves to make our lives easier "make us more fucked up"? Do you dislike computers, calculators, cars, or heavy machinery? Where is the line drawn? And while you're at it, define "fucked up".
  • ParagonT - June 20, 2013 7:07 a.m.

I suppose we might as well be robots right? This is all double edged as a subject.
  • PatHan-bHai - June 20, 2013 9:52 a.m.

We already have little kids driving their mouths off and a hell lotta teens sitting around all day like lazy ducks therefore damaging the image of a gamer and games (in general) more. There's a limit to laziness and not getting up to swap disks just shows how much more today's kids will get more lazified (lack of a better and/or real word).
  • D0CCON - June 20, 2013 10:18 a.m.

When my system reaches its 500GB limit, suddenly disc swapping becomes way easier than trying to get a game that isn't already on my hard drive to play. If I had options and could choose to not install a new game on a full hard drive, this would be fine, but I'd have to install it so I'd have to delete something. Then, if I ever want to play what I just deleted again, I'll have to reinstall it and delete something else. This becomes easier if I'm swapping discs and having it read the data off the discs (thus, disc swapping with longer wait times, again killing any conveniences), but if it was full digital, installs of this size will take days on my internet connection. That's a massive inconvenience compared to disc swapping.
  • ParagonT - June 20, 2013 7:06 a.m.

We also go to school when we have the internet, video chat, and the like. It's a cost-benefit relationship. Is it really worth plunging the future of gaming into a more corporate controlled environment over something so minor? (As one reason of course.)
  • JQuest81 - June 20, 2013 6:36 a.m.

It's not that I loathe getting up to swap discs, but you have to admire the convenience of not having to do so. I look at the not swapping discs this way. The less you have to swap discs, the less moving parts being done by the machine which reduces malfunction. Not to mention that the machine runs quieter. I can't tell you how frustrating it is changing my games on my XBOX 360, being that now I have to jiggle the door for the damn tray to open. That, I loathe.
  • mafyooz - June 20, 2013 7:03 a.m.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm pretty lazy and all for convenience in general, and I wholeheartedly agree with your point about moving parts (I still crank up old games on my PS2 from time to time and I really don't like the way the disc tray motor is sounding these days...). But I have encountered plenty of people who make out like changing a disc is the end of world, and involves a 3 day trek across the sahara wearing shoes made of broken glass, rather than just hauling their arse off the couch for 2 minutes
  • robotrigger - June 19, 2013 11:44 p.m.

Straight to the defense of the corporate masters...
  • JamesRadar - June 19, 2013 11:19 p.m.

so microsoft fixes something but then makes all these restrictions to what, spite the customers? so maybe this article is spun way too negatively? i dont even have 10 family members
  • Hobogonigal - June 20, 2013 1:19 a.m.

It wasn't to spite the customers, more than anything it was to give the customers what they wanted. The majority of consumers said that they didn't want the DRM and now Microsoft have complied. GamesRadar are just explaining what consumers have now lost by getting what they wanted. Also, even though you only have 10 family members, I would say that your kind of case would be in the minority of all consumers so a feature like that could have been pretty cool for most people.
  • ParagonT - June 20, 2013 7:29 a.m.

I don't know about that mate. I know of no one that has more than 10 family members that would have an Xbox One. Maybe three at max. I think he's in the majority. Unless your family is well off for every single one of those family members to have an Xbox One. But this is all just under the impression that it is just for your family, because why even call it "family sharing" if it wasn't just your family?
  • Firepunch - June 19, 2013 11:19 p.m.

Honestly I think this is a good idea that Microsoft dropped all those policies. And while I can understand the benefit of some these features; I would rather have my rights as a consumer. Also since their dropping their internet policy maybe now they will release the Xbox One in South Africa. Not that I will buy it with the Kinect wathcing me, still don't trust that thing.
  • Zeedar - June 19, 2013 10:55 p.m.

About the pricing... I don't think going all digital would have caused game prices to drop. The reason steam has such low prices is competition. On consoles there is always a monopoly which prevents prices from going down. On PC you either lower your prices when you can or someone else will.
  • D0CCON - June 19, 2013 10:42 p.m.

Yeah, I'll still take what MS is now offering instead of these benefits. The benefits weren't worth their cost. I'm fine swapping discs. I can gift physical media. And that digital game library will fill up fast when these games will be at least 20GB a pop (based on the BF3 install size on my laptop) all trying to fit on a 500GB hard drive. I can fit more discs in a case than I can fit Xbone games on that hard drive. And I couldn't see cheaper games and more sales coming even if MS stuck with the old plan. It has no competition on the store it monopolized for the Xbone. Steam has major sales likely due to the massive competition it faces from Greenmangaming, GOG, Desura, etc. etc. etc.
  • robotrigger - June 19, 2013 11:37 p.m.

Great points.