• garnsr - April 12, 2013 2:25 p.m.

Isn't Shenmue the origin of QTEs? Shouldn't that be the most lasting aspect of the game?
  • MrXLiebezeit - April 12, 2013 5:08 p.m.

Noo, there were many, MANY more on the SEGA CD. Though I think Shenmue actually did it half decently, those ones.... not so much.
  • garnsr - April 12, 2013 5:19 p.m.

Are you talking about the games like Time Gal, or Dragon's Lair that had no controls other than directions? I wouldn't consider those QTEs, and I remember people being excited when Yu Suzuki introduced his new system that he called Quick Time Events. That's the earliest use of that kind of control in a game where you can actually move around, but there may have been something earlier. The term definitely started with Shenmue, though.
  • MrXLiebezeit - April 12, 2013 5:23 p.m.

Yeah, the term definitely started with Shenmue, I'm not denying that. But I can swear there were games that weren't as simple as Time Gal, and Dragon's Lair on the SCD that feature similar gameplay as the QTEs of today. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't played on a SCD in ages, last time I played on was at an old friends who got one when they were about to be discontinued. Poor SEGA and their crap peripherals.
  • mike2082 - April 13, 2013 6:53 a.m.

Hehe I still have my Sega stuff and they work (Genesis, Sega CD, and Saturn). Makes me want to pull them down and hook them up again!
  • MrXLiebezeit - April 13, 2013 6:56 a.m.

Awesome! I really wish I had a Saturn. It had a few good games on it I would like to play. Primarily Panzer Dragoon Saga, and Guardian Heroes.
  • Darkhawk - April 12, 2013 2:25 p.m.

Play Spacewar! online here! http://spacewar.oversigma.com/
  • JarkayColt - April 12, 2013 1:53 p.m.

Great list, besides some of the ordering (personally I would have put Tetris higher IMO for example) I can't fault it at all. Although is it telling that I was suitably irked by the Game Boy mockup screenshots because the power light isn't on and the Pokémon screenshot is greyscale? :I
  • J-Fid - April 12, 2013 4:09 p.m.

I was bothered by that too!
  • Sinosaur - April 12, 2013 6:57 p.m.

Pokemon screen is clearly from Gameboy Pocket... but none of those were gray.
  • TISAM2K10 - April 12, 2013 1:50 p.m.

i think left 4 dead should be on here, for the multiplayer and popularizing zombies, and l.a. noire for the mo cap
  • BladedFalcon - April 12, 2013 2:33 p.m.

Except left for Dead didn't really popularize zombies at all. Resident Evil would be the one game that did, and there's even been other franchises that banked on zombies before L4D did, like Dead Rising or Stubbs the zombie. And L.A. Noire wasn't the first game to use Mo cap either, games like uncharted and Heavy Rain did it way before. And even though L.A. Noire's expressions were impressive, they didn't really impact the game as much as they touted it would. And nowadays, the games that do use mo cap don't really use the style that L.A. Noire used.
  • zymn - April 12, 2013 1:37 p.m.

Now it seems you have the called Gran Turismo games on PS1 "fun". I remember GT2 and how every time I turned I got thrown into a wall and turned the opposite direction. I didn't find it very fun. The physics weren't as "real" as everyone was making them out to be.
  • BladedFalcon - April 12, 2013 2:27 p.m.

They probably felt like they were though, at the time, at least.
  • codystovall - April 12, 2013 12:54 p.m.

Resident Evil 4 also perfected the third person shooter as we know it now.
  • bamit11 - April 12, 2013 1:49 p.m.

It basically created the over the shoulder perspective that Gears Of War and other games use.
  • BladedFalcon - April 12, 2013 2:26 p.m.

True, the only thing is that aside from the over the shoulder perspective, all of the other TPS we know today actually play nothing like RE4, even RE5 plays more like Gears of War than RE4. Which is why imagine they put Gears of War instead. Because despite RE4 creating the perspective, the main staples of the TPS as we know them today were solidified and popularized in Gears of War. (Chest high walls, sticky cover, blind fire, roadie run, aiming and walking, all features that weren't present in RE4 at all.)
  • StrayGator - April 12, 2013 12:38 p.m.

I'd swap C&C for Dune 2, and maybe include a pivotal flight simulator or something representative of early "Cinematic" productions (7th guest / Wing Commander 3)
  • ventanger - April 12, 2013 1:58 p.m.

^ All of this.
  • miser - April 12, 2013 12:25 p.m.

you cant put league of legends that is the copy of dota
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 12, 2013 12:47 p.m.

Except it's on there for a totally different reason.