• ObliqueZombie - April 18, 2013 6:12 p.m.

Great list, can't argue with any of them. Seeing that old screenshot of Runescape brings back such wonderful pangs of nostalgia that I almost burst. As crappy as the game was (is?), that was a large chunk of my childhood. Hell, now I HAVE to check it out again.
  • Dropship11 - April 18, 2013 11:53 a.m.

It would have made sense for them to include Shadowgate 64 Trials of the Four Towers. It really created a new age for navigating a world, and proceding with objects found in your environment. Th puzzles were dificult, yet made complete sense and worked with the story well. We wouldnt have great puzzle solving adventure games like Amnesia without it. (I use Amnesia because it seem like The Dark Descent pulled MANY things from Shadowgate in gameplay mechanics and environment interraction. NOT NESCESARILY A BAD THING! I'm just saying.)
  • sukerman - April 18, 2013 1:58 a.m.

It should be noted that Quake spawned the 3D graphics card add-on industry such as 3dfx which suddenly made Quake sliky at what were then crazy high resolutions normally only possible with monster machines.
  • MrAptronym - April 16, 2013 9:28 p.m.

I would argue Sonic belongs here for bringing up sega, but not too high on the list. Similarly I think Morrowind deserves inclusion for making Bethesda into the game empire it is today. Ultima is of great importance to the genre as well. I can see not wanting to include too many RPGs though seeing as how the industry is basically dead these days. (Sadly) Most of all I am just happy Mario wasn't number 1, Nothing against it, but it shouldn't top every single list of games ever made. It was what I was expecting for most of my climb up, and when I saw Spacewar! as No1 I actually giggled.
  • Supahewok - April 16, 2013 1:15 p.m.

A good list, covering most of the videogame landscape. However, it seems to me that the core-RPG genre is woefully underrepresented. (read: non ARPG's) They remain the most story-oriented of any videogame genre, and the player acumulation of power over time (whether through levels/XP, money, or equipment) is a concept that today has spread to almost all genres, including grand strategy and FPS. Ultima would be the main contender for recognition in this regard; it was one the first CRPG's, and the one I'd peg as the most influential. Also a possible inclusion would be either Baldur's Gate 2 or Knights of the Old Republic; BG2 was the "protoform" of the "Bioware Formula", while KOTOR WAS the Bioware Formula. (the Bioware Formula is my name for the obvious pattern Bioware takes in their games: emphasis on interactions with party characters, a 3-Act game wherein Act 2 boils down to around 4 quest areas that can be visited in any order, etc.) Bioware is one of only 2 AAA studios left who create RPG's. The other would be Bethesda, whose game Morrowind also merits mention as establishing the "Bethesda Formula". Although one could make an argument to include any of the Elder Scrolls games, except for Oblivion. The first two really did have some significant innovations, while Skyrim can be already be called influential despite being fairly young due to the sheer number of games that claim influence from it or use it as an example in their advertising. ("Skyrim with guns!" anyone?) Oblivion, although popular, never really shook anything up like the rest of the series. Spaceflight Sims also seem to be missing. Elite is the standout here for defining the genre. I can understand it not making the cut, though; spaceflight sims are a niche genre, and it may be that noone who worked on this list has even played them. I certainly haven't, although I mean to correct that when I find the time. Still, they were very important to gaming up until the 00's, and are making a bit of a comeback with crowdfunding. But what you guys have come up with is a very good list. Kudos to you. I honestly don't know what you could knock off to make room for what I've suggested. Now, to some of the suggestions made by others: 1. Sonic didn't add anything that Mario hadn't already done. Sure, it was faster and the levels were bigger, but Sonic didn't add any genuinely new mechanics that Mario didn't, AND Sonic fared far worse in the transition to 3D. 2. Deus Ex, Thief, System Shock, and Planescape: Torment, are all beloved games. However, none of them were really that influential. Each of them have only their own series and possibly one or two "spiritual successors" that make use of their innovations. In the past 15 years, the only games featuring gameplay that's anything like Deus Ex has been the actual Deus Ex remake and Dishonored. And lots of games have stealth now, but next to none take it to the extreme that Thief did, where it was the central mechanic. It was very difficult to fight you're way through Thief, unlike, say, Metal Gear. Nobody has tried telling a story as rich and deep as Planescape. System Shock MAY fit, but I think we can all agree that only System Schock 1&2 were ever really System Schock 1&2. These are games that get paid a lot of lip-service by developers for their hallowed place in our hobby, but very few (actually, next to none other than the original developers of these games) actually make use of anything they did. 3. It's too early to call games from the past decade influential except for the big splashes that were GoW, CoD, etc. that caused an immediate effect. Others, such as God of War and Uncharted, may be counted as influential after another ten years passes and we can more clearly see their subtler effect, but for now, it's too early to call it.
  • TheDudeFromNowhere - April 16, 2013 9:52 a.m.

Glad to see Pokemon in top 10!
  • redrum253 - April 15, 2013 8:32 p.m.

I'm really surprised not to find TES III: Morrowind on this list. It set the ground work for games for Oblivion, Fallout 3(and New Vegas) and Skyrim. All of those games have set the bar in regards what open world rpgs should be. Think about a few rpgs series, good and bad. Fable, The Witcher, Two Worlds, Borderlands, Dark Souls/Demon Souls, Dragon Age.....They're whole structure as open world games wouldn't be possible without Morrowind. Even non-rpgs like Red Dead Redemption or Dead Island owe some influence. Also, please don't argue that GTA 3 had these influences. I have nothing wrong with the game, but the open-world isn't nearly as well designed or brought to life the way elder scrolls or fallout games were
  • BaraChat - April 15, 2013 8:04 p.m.

I thought RE4 was going to be on that list. And any Mario Kart game, most likely Super Mario Kart. And, seeing as how much you guys love Portal (I do as well), I'm a bit surprised it didn't make the cut. Great list though, I always enjoy reading these!
  • RayPaw - April 15, 2013 3:51 p.m.

Obviously everyone is going to quibble with a list like this — including me, The Sims more important than Zelda!?!?! WTF?!?!?! — but this a really solid and well thought-out list. Nicely done.
  • Rhymenocerous - April 15, 2013 1:43 p.m.

X-Com
  • Rowdie - April 14, 2013 8:03 p.m.

Pretty good job. I think I would have switched the 1&2 spots.
  • labidas - April 14, 2013 1:28 p.m.

so... where's THIEF?
  • zelta38 - April 14, 2013 10:34 a.m.

Great list, the actual numbering does not seem to directly reflect the impact except for the first two, expected all of these games are watershed moments in gaming history but an excellent selection which really explains what makes every single one important. Gamesradar's gaming historians have a winner yet again!
  • bass88 - April 14, 2013 1:49 a.m.

I would have probably swapped Resident Evil with Alone In The Dark. Resi was more successful but AITD was successful too and many did pick up on similarities at the time of Resi's release. Deus Ex - for me, it revolutionised gaming. Here's a world, go through it however you wish. Want a shooter? Fine. A stealth game? Fine. An RPG? Fine. System Shock - It may not have sold well next to Doom 2 and it was perhaps a bit clunky bit System Shock highlighted what could be done with a 3D world. It pretty much did what Half-Life did years earlier. I'd go as far as saying that Half-Life wouldn't be the game we know it as without System Shock's influence. Thief - It was probably done before but I think Thief was the first proper stealth-em-up. Instead of providing bullet fodder, Thief encouraged gamers to avoid the enemy. The Hitman series and Dishonoured owes Thief a great deal of gratitude. Plus, how many games feature the obligatory stealth section nowadays?
  • RonnyLive19881 - April 13, 2013 11:44 p.m.

I may have missed it somewhere but I think yall left out Metroid... How I ask... HOW?! And Monkey Island...HOW?! Also I'd have put Alone in the Dark over Resident Evil in terms of importance but there is no denying which was more popular. Edit: After a double check just to be sure, good job I found Metroid Lol, I must have skipped its slide somehow.
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 15, 2013 12:22 a.m.

#34 is Metroid.
  • snipes101 - April 13, 2013 7:25 p.m.

Deus Ex - From what I know, it pioneered decision and morality-based game play that allowed you to shoot or stealth your way through the entire game - it was entirely up to you. Also, didn't it have a lot to do with pioneering emergent game play as well? The only way to fail really was to die, everything else was left up to you.
  • tedsini - April 13, 2013 7:10 p.m.

Interesting list, but in terms of pure innovation I think you should have included Adventure. I remember attaching an acoustic coupler to my phone to log into the University main frame where we had installed its precursor. This was in the 70's and the original game was played in a series of text communications. "you are in a maze of twisty passages. A dwarf with an ugly axe pops up and waves it threateningly. You A. Run like hell, B. Cast a spell to turn him into a frog, C. Attack him with your bare hands (good luck with that), or D. Negotiate (right)." Each room had up to six exits - N, S, E, W, up and down. We used to map out the grid by trial-and-error. Later it was used to create the "actual" video game and contained the following innovations: "Adventure was the first action-adventure game on a video console, the first to contain a widely-known Easter egg, and the first to allow a player to have a stash of items, which required the player to select which one to use at any given moment, usually through keyboard or joystick input. Adventure allowed the player to drop one item and pick up another without having to type in any commands. The game was also the first to use a fog of war effect in its catacombs, which obscured most of the playing area except for the player's immediate surroundings." This from a Wikipedia article with some documentation to back it up. That's quite a laundry list of firsts. Still liked your list though.