We Recommend

• MetroidPrimeRib - February 1, 2012 1:18 p.m.

One thing Skyrim does do better is no shitty online pass
  • idlemindkiller - February 1, 2012 2:13 p.m.

Are you trolling or just stupid?
  • samsneeze - February 1, 2012 2:17 p.m.

Exactly how is he doing either by making a legitimate point? EA is releasing Amalur with Online Pass restricted content and Skyrim shipped full (and broken). I'm sorry, but if you're going to call someone out for being a troll, at least do better.
  • idlemindkiller - February 1, 2012 2:26 p.m.

Maybe because its DLC. Gamers are the biggest bunch of crybaby bitches I know of. Grow the fuck up kids. Don't have the internet for gaming? Don't blame the developers or publishers. I can agree that some Online passes are a pain in the ass, but getting free DLC that will cost others money if they buy used or when the quantities run out is far from a bad thing. I see so many comments blasting publishers for giving stuff out as internet codes. How is it their fault or problem that you don't have access to it? Why should we gamers who do have access have to take a hit because of where you live or your own lack of funds to procure internet for yourself. Get the fuck over it now because its not going anywhere anytime soon.
  • BladedFalcon - February 1, 2012 2:50 p.m.

...How are gamers that have Internet taking a hit if they don't release DLC that's already in the disc?. Your point is kinda stupid because this whole thing isn't about people taht have or not internet. The complaint is that locked out content that's then released as DLC is a very obvious way for developers to make extra money. While I am not as big as a detractor as MPR here is, what IS true is that in the days before DLC, you could expect you game to come with everything it has to offer, and now some developers have deliberately locked out some content to make money when 10 years ago it would be free. Now, I understand why they do it. And since it's their product, they are entitled to do it. However, I don't necessarily have to like it, and there IS a reason why so many people get annoyed by it, you getting in the position of "get the fuck over it" is as extreme and stupid as those that immediately go "OMG ALL DLC EVER SUX!"
  • idlemindkiller - February 1, 2012 3:21 p.m.

You are getting off the topic at hand here. I never brought up locked on disc content. I too agree that if its on the disc, it should be playable by all for free. I don't know if the Reckoning content is on the disc or not(If it is, it should be free for all without codes or internet). My problem is people complaining about extra content that is just that.(extra content) I am tired of people who have no internet throwing fits about codes they can't use for content they wouldn't even be able to access anyway. Its a business plain and simple. Developers in my opinion, should give free content to people who buy new. The state that the industry is in with all the online passes and such is the fault of no one but gamers. If gamers didn't buy so many used games, publishers and developers could maybe make some money on the products they are selling. The only time I buy a game used is if I absolutely can't find it new(which is usually because its really old). So, I still stand by what I said before. Even the part to get the fuck over it.
  • BladedFalcon - February 1, 2012 4:07 p.m.

...But who here ever complained about not being able to get the content because they have the Internet? That's certainly not what MetroidPrimeRib was complaining about, and neither Samsneeze. Mind, i got what you were saying from the beginning, but the thing is that you're kinda ranting about something that's a non-issue here, no one's complaining about having no Internet to get DLC passes, what they are complaining is that DLC is often a shameless cash grab. Feel free to keep standing by what you said, just know that you missed the point everyone else in this convo line was making in the first place XD.
  • chriszewski - February 1, 2012 3:04 p.m.

I'm sorry, how exactly do "quantities run out" on DLC?
  • idlemindkiller - February 1, 2012 3:33 p.m.

Quantities of the game that come with the DLC. They don't always last forever. Some games have DLC that is always available in a new copy of the game. Some games that come with a bonus code or whatever don't always have an infinite amount. It doesnt have to just be DLC either, launch day Skyrim had the "premium" map included, but you would be hard pressed to find one now(at least where I live).
  • garnsr - February 1, 2012 4 p.m.

Some DLC cards in boxes do have expiration dates. I can't remember which game I saw it in, but something recent only lasts till the end of this year, I think.
  • samsneeze - February 2, 2012 12:22 p.m.

Let's see... Jumping to conclusions. Completely missing the point. Needless swearing and name calling. Should this warrant an actual response? Nope.
  • Errrrbo - February 1, 2012 1:07 p.m.

I found Skyrim to be boring due to the clunky combat and dull characters. Kingdoms of Amalur looks to be correcting both of these, and for that reason alone I think I'll like it much more than Skyrim.
  • ninjinx - February 1, 2012 12:58 p.m.

Doesn't matter, had skyrim.
  • garnsr - February 1, 2012 12:23 p.m.

I didn't like the UI in the Amalur demo very much. I also didn't like the UI in Skyrim very much. It would be nice to get new weapons all the time, but it's kind of nice in Skyrim when you can just get a weapon, smith it up, and not have to worry about checking everything you come across looking for something better. I liked the Amalur demo enough to keep it in mind for someday. It seems more like Fable to me than Elder Scrolls. I'm not sure I want more fantasy adventure right now, after just finishing up 150 hours of Skyrim, but if it ends up being good enough I'd sure look into it after playing El Shaddai and Shadows of the Damned, which I just got pretty cheap from Amazon.
  • Stabby_Joe - February 1, 2012 12:07 p.m.

Despite all of this I'm still probably not going to be as immersed than I am in Skyrim. In fact I wouldn't even bother comparing the two. Instead I'm hoping this game is a more polished Two Worlds II.
  • BladedFalcon - February 1, 2012 11:54 a.m.

I think I do agree that all those things are done better in Amalur. The combat, specially, while I don't think is THAT deep or great, (and certainly not really up to par with proper action games.) it at least offer more challenge and variety than skyrim's. Which really, the combat there boils down to, "mash attack button, get damaged, pause, use potions, mash some more." this is exacerbated more by the fact that the enemy AI's tactic is always the same: they go straight for the attack, they don't flank, hide, or take cover. Skyrim did it's exploration great, but combat really was not one of those things. Or challenge in general, thanks to be able to pussy out and lower the difficulty any time you want.
  • Travia220 - February 1, 2012 12:08 p.m.

Skyrim had no challenge. Bethesda screwed up mechanics so bad and the ability to get Daedric significantly easier than even previous games. Walk to Gloombound Mine and you almost have fifty pieces of Ebony. Combine that with how easy it is to reach 100Smithing+Enchanting+Alchemy.. and you've got yourself an instantly overpowered character that can destroy pretty much any obstacle.
  • Ravenbom - February 1, 2012 11:45 a.m.

You're probably right, HoCo, but the Fus Ro Dah is what makes combat great for any class in Skyrim.
  • BluegrassSmoker - February 1, 2012 11:41 a.m.

The 'mod' Skyrim argument holds little weight IMO in these kind of arguments. You shouldn't have to mod a game to fix glitches that should have never got thru. Yes yes you can't fix everything, I know this. but here's an example. I have over 65+ weight in misc finished quest items I can't drop because It says 'you can't drop quest items' yet said quest is in my finished quest list. I wouldn't mind if it was one or two items but 65+ weight. Fucking retarded. For those who play Skyrim on a console, we still have to deal with the retarded glitches that can seriously break the game. So for console players, Skyrim isn't the god of games. /insert all the 'well play skyrim on a PC you fucktard comments/ I love Skyrim but I seriously dislike Bethesda. It's sad to see the same type of glitches that were in the Fallout series. Game breaking glitches. I'm excited for this game. While the demo was kinda Meh. Salvatore is one of my favorite authors so I'm on board.
  • yasmarc - February 1, 2012 11:39 a.m.

This demo felt like I was playing a single player WoW clone with voiceovers. Talent trees - Check (Yes so did Skyrim, but more than 3......) Quest givers with ! and ? over their heads - Check Instanced dungeons - Check Green/Purple/Gold gear ratings - Check Graphics - Lol check Combat - Check (Hit this ability over and over! Ok now hit this one to finish off!) I know it has a lot more going for it than not but it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to linear to keep boasting about how deep it is. I think I've finally played too many RPG's like this to get excited.
  • Travia220 - February 1, 2012 12:04 p.m.

Talent Trees - Long before WoW's time. Strike 1. Quest Givers - /shrug Instanced Dungeons - Clearly you don't know what instanced means. Skyrim has these as well. Strike 2. Colour Variations - Long Before WoW. Strike 3. Graphics - Someones mixing up graphics with aesthetics. Combat - The games have completely different combat mechanics. Skyrim you also just hit the same thing over and over..! Uncanny similarities. Also WoW has no "Finishers." Your points are utterly ridiculous and really don't deserve a response but I felt like doing it anyway. Clearly you've never played WoW or you are trolling. Also the game is in no way linear. You can go where you want, do what quests you want, kill what you want and do whatever you want. It's exploration is not as open as Skyrims, however it is an Open World RPG. You haven't played many RPG's like this except for Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. Because there are not many Open World Games.
  • yasmarc - February 2, 2012 10:42 a.m.

So since something was similar before it that disproves the point? Right, anyway this demo felt like I was back playing a rogue in WoW (you know, the class with FINISHERS HERP DERP!). Skyrim's dungeons aren't instanced, they are just different loaded areas. Nothing respawns in there for another go. This game is getting a lot of press for doing absolutely nothing we haven't all done before is all. The fact is that if I was playing it on a keyboard instead of a controller it played exactly like a 7 year old game.
  • gobble412 - February 1, 2012 11:33 a.m.

Doesn't matter. Skyrim was a disappointment anyway. They tried to make it too big - all that came out of this was a sacrifice of all of the wonderful stories that made Morrowind and Oblivion masterpieces. Yes, the generic-ness of the dungeons was done away with and the combat was improved, but that's really all it did right. Everything I ever did in Morrowind or Oblivion felt meaningful, and the stories were so engaging that I felt the need to finish EVERY SINGLE QUEST. Almost everything I do in Skyrim feels fairly minuscule and unimportant. The characters aren't nearly as intriguing, and I just don't find myself caring about what goes on in the world around me. I haven't even picked up Skyrim since December, but I'll finish it eventually. Just saddens me that Bethesda neglected the main thing that made TES awesome for me.
  • Havikinazuma - February 19, 2012 6:13 p.m.

i feel that Skyrim wasn't a disappointment. Though different from Marrowind and Oblivion (Which i enjoyed a lot), Skyrim has key components that keeps me interested. Such as Shouts, finishers, Dragons, Treatments of skills, and marriage. Though i find the marriage in the game, loveless. i go out on quest, she set up shop. i come back with nothing for her, and i take her money and food she makes me. totally loveless,IMO. But i love the game and would glady add it to the family of TES's. XD
  • Zeipher - February 1, 2012 11:03 a.m.

Fanboys crack me up! "THERE CAN BE NO FAULTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!" "FUCKINGGGGG DEMOSSSSSSSS!!!!" "FREEDOMMMMMMM!" Lol, he didn't say it was a better game, jeez
  • Havikinazuma - February 19, 2012 6:17 p.m.

we know. We read it. thank you