• GameManiac - September 5, 2011 10:02 p.m.

@Japanaman LOL "PlayStation buttons" I remember borrowing my friends GBA and version of SMW. I had a blast playing through it. I hope this becomes an eventual downloadable game through the Nintendo eShop.
  • Japanaman - September 5, 2011 4:24 p.m.

Ahh, Magikoopa. How you tried to kill Mario with PlayStation buttons. Didn't work.
  • Zeb364 - September 5, 2011 1:08 p.m.

I love when GR lets their editors write an article like this where they can just gush over how much they love a specific game or franchise. Their sincere passion for it really shows. Great article Hank, this is why you're the King of Mario Town.
  • rxb - September 4, 2011 4:08 p.m.

Sorry to be a cliche but Im another 'cant put into words how much I love this game' gamer. Some parts were bastard hard but it was always fun. Gnarly on special world is a level people wont forget anytime soon. Good pick Hank
  • super0sonic - September 4, 2011 1:45 a.m.

SMW is the greatest game ever I think. I own it on SNES, GBA, and Wii. I have played it on every PC I have owned and even my Dreamcast. And if it shows up in the 3DS store I will buy it. That said If they release a Ver of SMW that is 3D like Excitebike was I WILL pay $100 on the spot for that.
  • CanadianBeaverHunter - September 3, 2011 2:12 p.m.

Pretty close to platforming perfection.
  • FanofSaiyan - September 3, 2011 11:35 a.m.

I remember playing SMW on my SNES. I'm sad that I never discovered all of the hidden exits and levels. I did however manage to beat Bowser with the help of the Star Road.
  • Sjoeki - September 3, 2011 11:25 a.m.

Wasn't it mario 2 (for america and europe) where you could pick up and throw stuff?
  • dmaster225 - September 3, 2011 11:07 a.m.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't mention the SPECIAL world that comes up when you beat the star world, those levels were the hardest in the game. If you could beat the SPECIAL world the world map would change color.
  • Zudeo - September 3, 2011 5:18 p.m.

SPECIAL world was the best kept secret in Super Mario World. Also, you saw that all the Koopas turned to little mustached school "children". I never did find a way to change the colors back though...
  • tntbandicoot - September 3, 2011 8:55 a.m.

Was and Still my best NES game!Still my best NES game!
  • Shadow Of Death - September 3, 2011 7:20 a.m.

I played this game to death when I had my SNES. I did all the above in it. Super Mario World and Megaman X were my most played games at the time. I don't think the hours played was surpassed until I got Final Fantasy X, or maybe not even until I got Disgaea: Hour of Darkness!
  • shawksta - September 3, 2011 3:14 a.m.

SWM was definitly a title no one will forget, it was awesome,challenging and most of all fun! While we are getting Yoshis island and SMB 3, I really hope SMW is one of the free gba games for 3DS ambadsadors.
  • jmcgrotty - September 3, 2011 2:46 a.m.

*bangs his head out of frustration on the grapes he is eating* "As we’ve shouted from our lawn many times before, kids today don’t know how good they have it." NO! No No No No! Kids today don't have it good. the flood of autosaves and routine save points is a black mark on the industry, basically just dumbing down games for todays players (I mean, come on. Anymore, the general formula of playing a game is 1) play game. 2) save. 3) fight. 4a) If you die or use too many items, restore last save. 4b) if you win the fight, run back 2 screens and save again at that save point you just passed. Can't lose the positive results from even just 1 kill. God forbid that you have to kill 5 enemies in order to get back to where you died, rather than it being just the most recent save. They've sacrificed actual challenge in gameplay just to beg lesser players to play (Yep, the fun buzzword of the industry today, "Casual gamer," started long before the Revolution). Jucienpancakes, you said you still need to beat it twice a year or something. That isn't really saying much. Beating the game twice would just take up like 22 minutes of your life. (OK, that was grossly exaggerated).
  • Hauntor - September 2, 2011 11:19 p.m.

The GBA version is like 2 feet from me. NOW I MUST PLAY IT.
  • Thequestion 121 - September 2, 2011 10:43 p.m.

Just an utterly perfect game, it's still one of my favorite Mario games :)
  • Redeater - September 2, 2011 8:35 p.m.

Hmm. Maybe I missed it but one of the things I loved about this game was the ability to take multiple exits on a level. Damn you Forest of Illusion! I spent a long time trying to star this game when I found out that damn ghost house has 2 of the same exits!