• mrplow8 - September 23, 2014 11:13 p.m.

So sick of this crap... You want realistic representation of women in games? Okay. On average, women have about 50%-60% the strength of men. Let's hear you complain about how, if you make a female Barbarian in Diablo 3, she's just as physically capable as a male Barbarian would be. When should we expect your article on how unrealistic it is that, when Sonya uppercuts someone, it does just as much damage as sends them flying just as far as when Raiden uppercuts them? What's that? Oh, you're okay with unrealistic representations of women in those cases? I see. So, in other words, games should only have to be realistic in instances where doing so would make them adhere to your personal preferences, but not necessarily in any other instances. Yeah, that makes sense. When are these game sites going to start hiring realistic representations of journalists?
  • EdDeRs1 - September 22, 2014 6:45 a.m.

I don't think XCOM: Enemy Unknown is the best example guys, since your entire squad can be made up of women who regularly slaughter aliens whilst wearing practical body armour, don't have very large breasts and behave in the exact same way as there male counterparts
  • lemur - September 23, 2014 6:51 p.m.

That's what I was thinking. You can play with all black woman is bulky armor if you felt like it. So there's that AND the scientist doesn't really seem oppressed or like she choose that job because it's the only one she could get. The fact that she's there goes to prove that she is the best of the best in the world.
  • GHarvey - September 22, 2014 6:21 a.m.

Another example of corrupt journalists conspiring with each other to sway the minds of viewers. This entire article show a lack of proper understanding and extreme bias. Go play some Tomb Raider for once in your life.
  • cbrinkmann1981 - September 22, 2014 11:24 a.m.

You lost every reasonably intelligent person on the planet with "corrupt". By the time we get to "conspiring" it's laughable. I know that, to you, it's shocking to imagine a world where there aren't any conspiracies and that maybe - just maybe - someone's writing an article to point out something to make us think, but uh...true story, bro.
  • Sayuri - July 19, 2014 2:24 p.m.

I just recently played an indie RPG where most of the PCs and many NPCs were women, and there are like, only two men in your entire party. It was a great game called Chronicles of a Dark Lord Episode 1 Tides of Fate. So there ARE games where women are featured prominently, and in roles that have them defending existence.
  • arimibn - July 18, 2014 7:35 p.m.

...What games have you been playing? 90% of the games that I play, women make up half of the cast of characters. Heck, a good deal of them have the main characters as female... Granted, I don't ignore the possibility that I may be playing all the exceptions to the rule. Especially considering I hate fanservice-y games in the first place.
  • SanFran51 - April 5, 2014 8:59 a.m.

The part of the problem is that the male characters are constantly Idealized but they are never sexualised and the female characters are constantly shafted to the sexual side and the other problem is simply the fact that writers just don't know how to write female characters very well. Personally either they start making male characters just as sexualised as the women or maybe they should actually make female characters idealized and sexualised.
  • Deth65 - April 5, 2014 7:45 a.m.

Jessica in DQVIII pretty much sums up the armor scenario. The less her body was covered the more her damage level increased. If I remember correct she was also the only character who was able to change outfits. Makes sense to me since I really would not play a game with guys running around in thongs & skimpy tops.
  • threadspool - July 18, 2014 3:10 p.m.

so let's limit sexualization to women based upon your personal tastes. or, how about we don't unnecessarily sexualize at all?
  • stefan-craig - April 4, 2014 11:24 a.m.

A agree that alot of the females are a male fantasy. But most of the male characters arent exactly realistic to your averge male.
  • cain-midnightt - August 10, 2013 8:41 p.m.

crap article. Cant fantasy be fantasy? Entertainment? Like the men are so F'n realistic!
  • YoungBats - April 7, 2013 11:09 a.m.

I agree with both sides of this argument. From a female perspective, it does get annoying and seemingly a tad sexist when games keep repeating the cliches. Not all females in reality are the same, nor should all females in video games be. However, I also agree that these are just games. As a girl, I wouldn't be nearly as inclined to play a game where the main character was a fat, unattractive slob who tries picking up attractive, skinny girl (*cough* the annoying manager dude out of Tony Hawk Underground *cough*), whereas I'd be there in a heartbeat if the main character, or one of more frequent characters, was a sexy, well built guy with an attractive voice/accent (you see, this is the reason that I like my superheroes and Assassin's Creed ^.^ But the one thing that DOES get me is when people start to believe that everyone is supposed to be like how their sex is portrayed in games. I mean, when guys start to see girls as having to have big boobs and small waists and nothing else, or when girls see guys as having to have a rippling six pack and be shirtless 24/7 (admittedly, that would be nice c; ). I'm just saying, it's understandable why they would do that - it's for the viewer's enjoyment, not a documentary.
  • threadspool - July 18, 2014 3:15 p.m.

the main issue is the lack of variety in gaming, that every male and female becomes a stereotype in gaming. it's good to recognize the disconnect from reality, and the goal of game developers to appeal to a demographic. the demographic, however, seems to be extremely narrow, focused on the tastes and preferences of the male gamer, either as an idealization of the male protagonist (i.e. your typical troy baker white man in his 30s) or the sexualization of some female background character who is not written well and is only included for the sake of satisfying the same demographic.
  • dmaster225 - April 5, 2013 12:40 p.m.

WTF? Why do women keep hating on the way they are portrayed in videogames? Theyre not real you know. It takes a real insecure person to be offended by the way whatever group they have placed themselves into is portrayed in a computer program.
  • threadspool - July 18, 2014 3:17 p.m.

and as long as they're not real, and they're designed and written by people, is there any reason why female gamers cannot argue for diversity, depth, and quality? i am going to assume that you are not facing the same issues, and you should not be criticizing a movement that does not pertain to you.
  • gilgamesh310 - January 29, 2013 7:22 a.m.

Point 11 is just a lie in itself. There are many female game characters that aren't defined by their gender. I could make a big list of them if I wanted, but I'm sure intelligent people know who they are.
  • threadspool - July 18, 2014 3:19 p.m.

many, yes, but by no means the majority. a small amount doesn't justify the rest of the industry's continued adherence to the same tropes.
  • gilgamesh310 - July 18, 2014 3:35 p.m.

Of course it does. They're just games.
  • aaronoraa-barlow - January 27, 2013 4:38 p.m.

You forgot the whole "Women being healers" rule with some games and/or anime, I know this doesn't apply to all but it's a running theme with most games with a class system that the women mages that aren't the PC are mostly the healing/support buff sub-class as opposed to being the badass b!tch with big fiery apocalypticness. The only game that I personally have played that doesn't have that so much was Dragon Age II y'know ^^'' since Anders was the primary healer I thought it was a great change to see a Male taking on the role as the healer :) But after that I can't really think of any other game that's exempt from the rule which sucks really :/